AuthorMessage
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#1New Post! Mar 28, 2006 @ 22:46:16
The era of implanting people with identity chips is up on us

By Angela Swafford, Globe Correspondent, 5/20/2003

he painless procedure barely lasted 15 minutes. In his South Florida office, Dr. Harvey Kleiner applied a local anesthetic above the tricep of my right arm, then he inserted a thick needle deep under the skin.

''First we locate a prime spot,'' he said. ''The next thing is to release the button that triggers the injection mechanism, and that's it, the cargo's been delivered.''

The ''cargo'' was a half-inch-long microchip inside a glass and silicone cylinder that carries my permanent identification number. For an instant, I remembered the famous scene in the movie ''Fantastic Voyage'' in which a miniaturized Raquel Welch and her companions are inserted, submarine and all, into the vein of a patient. In my case, the tiny chip inside me can transmit personal information to anyone with a special handheld scanner.

Theoretically, this VeriChip will allow doctors to call up my medical records even if I'm too badly hurt to answer questions. It is also supposed to allow me to get money from an automatic teller machine by flashing my arm instead of punching in my PIN number. Or reassure airport security that I am a journalist, not a terrorist.

And, though the VeriChip strikes critics as Orwellian, its makers think the surgically implanted IDs could be the Social Security numbers of the future in a nervous world.

https://www.prisonplanet.com/barcoding_humans.html
arianwen On March 03, 2007

, Australia
#2New Post! Mar 28, 2006 @ 23:49:09
Sounds interesting....but it could be invasive, too. If all your details are in your arm, what happened if you lose a limb? Or some scammer or conman steals the details off that chip? They know everything about you and you can't do anything about it. It sounds like a good idea, but I'm wary of stuff like that.
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#3New Post! Mar 29, 2006 @ 00:03:39
I read somewhere else that a night club somewhere microchips their VIP members...instead of cards they get tagged for cheap drinks etc.
baker63 On March 29, 2007

Deleted

, United States (general)
#4New Post! Mar 31, 2006 @ 15:55:01
@cobber Said
The era of implanting people with identity chips is up on us

I am not all that thrilled about this idea. I know that there are great applications for it, but the potential for abuse I think is too great. I am about as Lawa biding as a person can be and this idea that gov or private people could know my every move does not appeal to me in the least
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs