The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Random:
Rants & Raves

Argh housing association/council housing!!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:10:20
I don't get how people get in sooo quick. I've been on the list 18 months for housing association housing not even council housing and we're still no closer!! We're classed as high priority (which is the one under the people that have been literally turfed out) for a few reasons and one of the main ones is we live in a 1st floor flat with external stairs and a young child that requires carrying up and down these stairs (it's a larger/longer staircase than normal).

Thing is I would happily move to a smaller house where I didn't have to worry about slipping down the stairs and cracking my head/my son's head open but there is no where affordable round here. In the area we need to live in there's nothing that is ground floor for under ?750 pure rent throw on top of that council tax and bills etc and we'll have run out of money without having money to eat!!

It just pisses me off people join the register and lie about their situation (I've known loads of people to 'bend' the truth to get themselves bumped up priority wise) while people that are working hard to earn a living/take care of their children are left to struggle.
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:11:59
@angelcake Said

In the area we need to live in there's nothing that is ground floor for under ?750 pure rent throw on top of that council tax and bills etc and we'll have run out of money without having money to eat!!

f***ing hell! That is shocking!
Say whaaa

#3New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:14:14
@Silver_Lining Said

f***ing hell! That is shocking!

That's 2 bed as well not even 3!! Things on the first floor are between ?650 and ?700 but that doesn't solve the problem of being on the first floor!!
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#4New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:15:06
@angelcake Said

I don't get how people get in sooo quick. I've been on the list 18 months for housing association housing not even council housing and we're still no closer!! We're classed as high priority (which is the one under the people that have been literally turfed out) for a few reasons and one of the main ones is we live in a 1st floor flat with external stairs and a young child that requires carrying up and down these stairs (it's a larger/longer staircase than normal).

Thing is I would happily move to a smaller house where I didn't have to worry about slipping down the stairs and cracking my head/my son's head open but there is no where affordable round here. In the area we need to live in there's nothing that is ground floor for under ?750 pure rent throw on top of that council tax and bills etc and we'll have run out of money without having money to eat!!

It just pisses me off people join the register and lie about their situation (I've known loads of people to 'bend' the truth to get themselves bumped up priority wise) while people that are working hard to earn a living/take care of their children are left to struggle.

And they reckon Cheats never prosper?something's wrong there.
Cheese_face On August 15, 2010

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:15:19
Totally agree. It makes my blood boil to think that people lie to get somewhere quicker when an honest family like yours is left waiting - It's simply unjust.
RIP Boobie

#6New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:17:27
@angelcake Said

That's 2 bed as well not even 3!! Things on the first floor are between ?650 and ?700 but that doesn't solve the problem of being on the first floor!!

We pay less that ?700 for a 3 storey 3/4 bedroom house.

I agree that the council are crap when it comes to getting people housed too, it's a little off topic but my parents have been living in their house for about 20 years and have been promised a conversion for all that time. People who have moved in around them and only lived in their houses for a few years had theirs done when they first moved in, my parents are only just getting theirs done.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:17:34
All councils have to take in a certain amount of s*** tenants from other councils.

Which means those who get lovely new homes and trash them entirely and evicted for not paying rent, antisocial behaviour and noise pollution go right to the top of another councils waiting list.

Where is the logic in this?
LaBellaQuincey On December 27, 2011

Deleted

, Indiana
#8New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:18:31
That really sucks I hope things turn around for you soon. Good things some to those who wait? I hope so for your sake.
Say whaaa

#9New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:23:42
@treebee Said

All councils have to take in a certain amount of s*** tenants from other councils.

Which means those who get lovely new homes and trash them entirely and evicted for not paying rent, antisocial behaviour and noise pollution go right to the top of another councils waiting list.

Thing is we're not even applying for counil we're housing association in a pretty damned rich area!!! We're also not applying for houses in the places that are popular (because we don't want to live in a place popular for housing association people tbh )

If we could get into a housing assocation house for 5/6 years we could buy a house and get out of the system whereas people getting houses seem to think it's their god given right to be given a house (which effectively is almost owned as they can do whatever they want to it!! ) for pittance forever!!!

I understand people need help, and would never deny someone who needed help a house (even if that means I dn't get one) but seriously people are bloody ridiculous. I think unless a single parent that it should be a condition of moving into a HA place that at least one person is working within the household.

Council housing is different and should be in the provision for people who really need it.
Say whaaa

#10New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:26:16
I actually also don't get why single people need council/housing association housing unless they're a refuge from domestic violence/something similar.

There's nothing wrong with house shares and tbh I think the council/housing association should provide those for people who are on the housing lists. It'll give them revenue and the people who 'need' a home somewhere to live.
RIP Boobie

#11New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:28:07
@angelcake Said

If we could get into a housing assocation house for 5/6 years we could buy a house and get out of the system whereas people getting houses seem to think it's their god given right to be given a house (which effectively is almost owned as they can do whatever they want to it!! ) for pittance forever!!!

I'd like to just explain that my parents fall in the category of living in their council house for "forever" but they did try to buy it off the council but the council tried to screw them over on the payment.
Say whaaa

#12New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:31:34
@Silver_Lining Said

I'd like to just explain that my parents fall in the category of living in their council house for "forever" but they did try to buy it off the council but the council tried to screw them over on the payment.

There's nothign wrong with staying the house forever, don't get me wrong it's the people that think it's their god given right to that house. The people who abuse the system and don't bother paying their rent regularly at all and just generally take the piss.

And if your parents tried to buy it they definitely don't sound like they fall into that category.
Cheese_face On August 15, 2010

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:35:48
@treebee Said

Zero logic. People who don't pay rent, don't work/anti social/general turds for reasons you gave, should not be made priority above honest working families in need of a little help.
RIP Boobie

#14New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:36:30
@angelcake Said

There's nothign wrong with staying the house forever, don't get me wrong it's the people that think it's their god given right to that house. The people who abuse the system and don't bother paying their rent regularly at all and just generally take the piss.

And if your parents tried to buy it they definitely don't sound like they fall into that category.

No, they don't. My Dad works full time and my Mum works two part time jobs and pay their way.
RIP Boobie

#15New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:38:33
@Cheese_face Said

Zero logic. People who don't pay rent, don't work/anti social/general turds for reasons you gave, should not be made priority above honest working families in need of a little help.

There's a family 3 doors up the road from my parents that are like that, they were evicted from their previous place because of that behaviour and placed in another area where they do exactly the same.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs