Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#31New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 03:52:07
@jonnythan Said

Heck of a point there. There would have been 26 Senators back then. I didn't even think of that.

So what's 3/5 of 26? They would have needed 15.6 senators to agree to close debate. My assumption was that a simple majority of senators were needed to pass a bill. Now that would be 51. I guess originally it would have been 14.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#32New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 03:54:32
That rule didn't exist back then.

A simple majority was needed to pass a bill, and that's still the case today. Apparently filibustering wasn't in vogue back then.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#33New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 03:58:41
@jonnythan Said

That rule didn't exist back then.

A simple majority was needed to pass a bill, and that's still the case today. Apparently filibustering wasn't in vogue back then.

Well it's in vogue now. The republicans tried it on over 70% of bills since Obama & the democrats won. Amazing. Never in history has it ever approached that level.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#34New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 04:02:24
"The political scientist Barbara Sinclair has done the math. In the 1960s, she finds, ?extended-debate-related problems? ? threatened or actual filibusters ? affected only 8 percent of major legislation. By the 1980s, that had risen to 27 percent. But after Democrats retook control of Congress in 2006 and Republicans found themselves in the minority, it soared to 70 percent."

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/opinion/21krugman.html
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#35New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 04:33:02
@eL_TinO Said

Why on earth do we have a 60 vote rule in the Senate?

There's NOTHING about it in the constitution. We need to get rid of it.

I don't think it's an actual rule. It just means if the President vetoes it the Senate has enough votes to overrule him. Or is there something specific you're referring to that I don't know about?
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#36New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 04:34:20
@crazylikeafox Said

I don't think it's an actual rule. It just means if the President vetoes it the Senate has enough votes to overrule him. Or is there something specific you're referring to that I don't know about?

You need 3/5 of the senate to vote to stop a filibuster. That's a senate rule, not in the constitution.

It's 2/3 to override a veto, and that's in the constitution.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#37New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 04:37:14
@crazylikeafox Said

The veto override is in the Constitution - and that's 2/3, so it requires 67 votes.

The 60 vote rule concerns voting on bills. A small group of determined Senators could conceivably delay voting on a bill infinitely by simply talking on the floor forever. This is known as a filibuster. The Senate has a house rule in place saying that if 60 people vote to end floor debates, the bill can go straight to actual voting, thus breaking the filibuster.

The effect is ultimately that if no one party has 60 or more seats in the Senate, either one can effectively block almost any legislation if everyone sticks to party lines. If one party has 60 or more seats, it's essentially filibuster-proof and can ram through any legislation the entire party agrees on.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#38New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 04:45:10
@jonnythan Said

The veto override is in the Constitution - and that's 2/3, so it requires 67 votes.

The 60 vote rule concerns voting on bills. A small group of determined Senators could conceivably delay voting on a bill infinitely by simply talking on the floor forever. This is known as a filibuster. The Senate has a house rule in place saying that if 60 people vote to end floor debates, the bill can go straight to actual voting, thus breaking the filibuster.

The effect is ultimately that if no one party has 60 or more seats in the Senate, either one can effectively block almost any legislation if everyone sticks to party lines. If one party has 60 or more seats, it's essentially filibuster-proof and can ram through any legislation the entire party agrees on.

I know what a filibuster is. I just didn't know that's what El Tino was talking about.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#39New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 06:46:43
@crazylikeafox Said

I know what a filibuster is. I just didn't know that's what El Tino was talking about.

ever bust a fili?
i wonder how many lobbyist they had when it was 13 states.
i'm guessing mostly 14 state people.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#40New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 22:30:00
Hmm you know if you don't want to get rid of the 60 votes to break a filibuster, how about this: require at least 40 senators on the floor in order to sustain a filibuster.

It's way too damn easy to filibuster something these days.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#41New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 22:32:33
It seems confusing but what's wrong with a majority system? So it can only get blocked if at least as many vote against it as for it?

I don't know how your system works, but how does anything get passed unless there is a majority system?
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#42New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 22:35:05
@jmo Said

It seems confusing but what's wrong with a majority system? So it can only get blocked if at least as many vote against it as for it?

I don't know how your system works, but how does anything get passed unless there is a majority system?

To pass a bill you need a simple majority.

However, the minority party can do a filibuster to try to block a bill. Basically that means some guy stands up there and talks about random s*** all day long while everyone else plays golf. That's the "debate" part. You need 60 votes to stop the debate and vote on the bill. The result is that 41 senators can block something that 59 senators want to pass.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#43New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 22:36:51
@eL_TinO Said

To pass a bill you need a simple majority.

However, the minority party can do a filibuster to try to block a bill. Basically that means some guy stands up there and talks about random s*** all day long while everyone else plays golf. That's the "debate" part. You need 60 votes to stop the debate and vote on the bill. The result is that 41 senators can block something that 59 senators want to pass.

Oh right. I suppose that seems fair enough...how long does it get 'blocked' for, and even if it gets blocked does it still get pushed through, just with delay?
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#44New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 22:38:04
@jmo Said

Oh right. I suppose that seems fair enough...how long does it get 'blocked' for, and even if it gets blocked does it still get pushed through, just with delay?

It gets blocked until 60 senators (3/5ths) decide to unblock it.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#45New Post! Jan 20, 2010 @ 22:38:22
@eL_TinO Said

Hmm you know if you don't want to get rid of the 60 votes to break a filibuster, how about this: require at least 40 senators on the floor in order to sustain a filibuster.
It's way too damn easy to filibuster something these days.

1 being a majority in a filibuster.
sounds silly. but the squeaky wheel often gets greesed.
sometimes it just takes forever.

40 agreeing voices, now that is different.
vote to maintain, rather then need 60 to over ride.
interesting idea...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs