Can anyone recommend a book?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#16New Post! Jan 11, 2012 @ 14:54:06
@Dark_Tink Said

I haven't read it yet, but I have been told by many that "A Game of Thrones" is a must read.

I would highly recommend the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Just be forewarned, the author does not care what you want to happen or who you are rooting for. Any character could die at any point for any reason with little to no warning. And those are the lucky ones. It can be a bit depressing, but it is part of the fun because with George RR Martin you really do not know what the next page is going to bring. I read the books when I was in college (except for the one that just came out, which I read this summer) my wife just finished reading them for the first time, we both loved them, but related to different characters which I think is one of the strengths of his books. There is someone for everyone.........just remember, awful things happen to ALL of them.
alysedai On November 09, 2020

Newport News, Virginia
#17New Post! Jan 11, 2012 @ 15:01:53
@drman321 Said

I would highly recommend the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Just be forewarned, the author does not care what you want to happen or who you are rooting for. Any character could die at any point for any reason with little to no warning. And those are the lucky ones. It can be a bit depressing, but it is part of the fun because with George RR Martin you really do not know what the next page is going to bring. I read the books when I was in college (except for the one that just came out, which I read this summer) my wife just finished reading them for the first time, we both loved them, but related to different characters which I think is one of the strengths of his books. There is someone for everyone.........just remember, awful things happen to ALL of them.

Oh yes! THis is a great series because of the fact that awful things happen to everyone. Martin doesn't fall in love with any of his characters, even though you often will, and so no one is safe. Makes it extra interesting.

If you like fantasy, also check out Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson's the Wheel of Time series, Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series, and Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy. All of them are terrific examples of high fantasy. Just be aware that the Kushiel series get into some strange sex scenes, so they're not for people who are easily offended by such things.
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#18New Post! Jan 11, 2012 @ 15:05:16
@alysedai Said

Oh yes! THis is a great series because of the fact that awful things happen to everyone. Martin doesn't fall in love with any of his characters, even though you often will, and so no one is safe. Makes it extra interesting.

If you like fantasy, also check out Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson's the Wheel of Time series, Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series, and Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy. All of them are terrific examples of high fantasy. Just be aware that the Kushiel series get into some strange sex scenes, so they're not for people who are easily offended by such things.

I got ten books into Wheel of Time (read them since 1996) when I just decided I was done. They didn't seem to be going anywhere and each book was becoming whinier and whinier and too much time was being spent recapping what happened in the previous book (which was half recapping what happened in the previous book so it gets a bit derivative). I don't necessarily blame Jordan, I'm sure that is an easy trap to fall into with such a large and complicated series, but that doesn't change the fact that the books stopped being worth it for me around book 8 and I finally realized it around book 10.
alysedai On November 09, 2020

Newport News, Virginia
#19New Post! Jan 11, 2012 @ 15:27:53
@drman321 Said

I got ten books into Wheel of Time (read them since 1996) when I just decided I was done. They didn't seem to be going anywhere and each book was becoming whinier and whinier and too much time was being spent recapping what happened in the previous book (which was half recapping what happened in the previous book so it gets a bit derivative). I don't necessarily blame Jordan, I'm sure that is an easy trap to fall into with such a large and complicated series, but that doesn't change the fact that the books stopped being worth it for me around book 8 and I finally realized it around book 10.

Book 10 is HORRIBLE! When Sanderson picks up and starts writing, it definitely starts making some progress, I promise. 13 was probably one of the best ones in the series.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs