1993 Bombing of the WTC

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#76New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 06:07:18
@woodss Said

Who ever engineered the World Trade Centre never thought that a bomb or a plane would bring them down.

They were designed to within stand a Boeing plane model at the time in the 60s. Boeing 707.

They should have been designed to withinstand a plane as big as a Boeing 747.

Just hope these new towers when completed can withstand a plane crashing into them.

I'm no engineer, but its the law of basic common sence.

Woods,go away

, Australia
#77New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 10:01:51
@woodss Said

Who ever engineered the World Trade Centre never thought that a bomb or a plane would bring them down.

They were designed to within stand a Boeing plane model at the time in the 60s. Boeing 707.

They should have been designed to withinstand a plane as big as a Boeing 747.

Just hope these new towers when completed can withstand a plane crashing into them.

I'm no engineer, but its the law of basic common sence.

Woods,go away will you
woodss On February 26, 2024

#78New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 10:12:21
@Demented Said

Woods,go away will you

Play it nice.

, Australia
#79New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 10:30:01
@woodss Said

Play it nice.

Nahhh,you've proved what a prized Galah you are to everybody here on TFS and now you say play nice. Go away Woods
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#80New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 10:35:17
The 9/11 attacks threw the architectural world into shock. “The age of skyscrapers is at an end,” city planner Howard Kunstler declared just after the tragedy, and Donald Trump reduced the height of a planned tower in Chicago, citing security concerns raised by 9/11.

But since the tragedy, architects have used advances in construction materials and new designs to make tall buildings safer -- and more likely to withstand a 9/11-style attack.

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/11/after-11-how-to-build-safer-skyscraper/#ixzz1XjWAQHwa

#81New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 10:45:49
@hoppy Said

The 9/11 attacks threw the architectural world into shock. “The age of skyscrapers is at an end,” city planner Howard Kunstler declared just after the tragedy, and Donald Trump reduced the height of a planned tower in Chicago, citing security concerns raised by 9/11.

But since the tragedy, architects have used advances in construction materials and new designs to make tall buildings safer -- and more likely to withstand a 9/11-style attack.

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/11/after-11-how-to-build-safer-skyscraper/#ixzz1XjWAQHwa

Thats what I reckon, and its a good idea, I think architects have learnt lessons since the attacks.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#82New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 11:46:44
OK woods you seemed to think that you understand
1. Planning for the future.
2. Safety features of items.
3. Computer printers
So here what I want you to do build me a printer that will meets ALL wants of consumers now and for the next 50 years.
One that will meet all hazards known and unknown for the next 50 years.
The unit must come in at just under 500 American dollars per unit
Profit margins Shall be in the 16% range.

Please list all materials used cost of said materials what programs it will support including future programs and all other features of said unit.

YOU may list said unit here

#83New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 11:55:51
@restoreone Said

OK woods you seemed to think that you understand
1. Planning for the future.
2. Safety features of items.
3. Computer printers
So here what I want you to do build me a printer that will meets ALL wants of consumers now and for the next 50 years.
One that will meet all hazards known and unknown for the next 50 years.
The unit must come in at just under 500 American dollars per unit
Profit margins Shall be in the 16% range.

Please list all materials used cost of said materials what programs it will support including future programs and all other features of said unit.

YOU may list said unit here

Only time will tell.
I don't think the printers of today will be in 50 years time.
There is limits in the Electrophotographic process.
firebrand On February 21, 2012

, Australia
#84New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 13:20:28
woods idea of excercise is moving the fridge away from the computer and back in to the kitchen.

otherwise you wont be here in 5 years time...

#85New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 13:21:48
@firebrand Said

woods idea of excercise is moving the fridge away from the computer and back in to the kitchen.

Now your all picking on my weight now.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#86New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 13:53:44
@hoppy Said

Something like this?

sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#87New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 16:28:40
@jonnythan Said

They should have been designed to withstand an impact from an aircraft that didn't even exist?

Before 9/11, no one ever imagined that a plane would be intentionally crashed into a building as a terrorist act. It was just completely off anyone's radar. No one had really ever even considered the possibility.

People don't really think much about the details here. This wasn't an accident. A plane accidentally flying into a building would be going very very slow, in the area of 150-200 mph. The planes that did crash were going closer to 500 mph. That's an impact with six times the kinetic energy of the accidental scenario.

It's also worth noting that the buildings withstood the impact 100%. The plane crash didn't bring the buildings down. What brought them down were the massive, multi-floor, jet-fuel powered fires that burned so hot so long it burned away the fire retardant and weakened the steel so much it finally buckled. Remember that these were planes that had just recently taken off for long flights - they were still pretty much at full fuel capacity.

These were truly massive impacts followed by fires of unprecedented size and intensity. The buildings after impact basically consisted of the top portion and bottom portion connected by the damaged, burning part. The damaged, burning part had absolutely no chance of lasting a long time, and once the damaged, burning part failed, the top box fell onto the bottom box. There was zero chance of either box surviving.

There is zero basis to say that any other building would have survived. There was no engineering failure here, of any kind at all. It was something of a triumph that they lasted as long as they did.

I just heard on the news this morning, while waiting in my doctor's office...that the fire burned for 99 days! 99 fricking days to fully extinguish!
That says it all right there.

#88New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 16:29:32
99 days, that wouldnt surpise me with all the Jet-Fuel.
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#89New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 17:10:21
@firebrand Said

woods idea of exercise is moving the fridge away from the computer and back in to the kitchen.

And that's a bad thing?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#90New Post! Sep 12, 2011 @ 17:21:30
@woodss Said

99 days, that wouldnt surpise me with all the Jet-Fuel.

Jet fuel burns quickly. It wasn't the fuel that was burning for 3 months. It was all of the paper, wood, plasic, rubber, and cloth from over 100 floors worth of desks, filing cabinets, walls, electrical wiring, speakers, furniture, bedding, computers, printers, etc.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs