I Converted To Islam after 33 years

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
shabang On September 22, 2019

cheshire, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Aug 21, 2011 @ 21:51:21
@MadCornishBiker Said

I tend to think of it more as endarkened than enlightened. We have moved so far from the light of truth it is almost impossible to see it.

Hmmmm , interesting
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Aug 21, 2011 @ 21:53:22
@MadCornishBiker Said

I tend to think of it more as endarkened than enlightened. We have moved so far from the light of truth it is almost impossible to see it.

I don't mean in a spiritual sense. I mean that there's so much information around us that we can access at the touch of a button, yet people still actively decide to forge prejudices based on mass generalisations. There's a lot more communication present between people of different cultures now as well, which is good, so there's no reason for people not to actually find something out about them and learn that not everyone is the same.

cheshire, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Aug 21, 2011 @ 21:56:17
i totally agree sister xx
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Aug 21, 2011 @ 21:57:11
@sister_of_mercy Said

I don't mean in a spiritual sense. I mean that there's so much information around us that we can access at the touch of a button, yet people still actively decide to forge prejudices based on mass generalisations. There's a lot more communication present between people of different cultures now as well, which is good, so there's no reason for people not to actually find something out about them and learn that not everyone is the same.

No, that's fair enough, I mean it in all senses, and in a way is the inspiration for one of my favourite sayings "Those in the majority are generally also in the wrong." as well as "Those who generalise are generally wrong"
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#20New Post! Aug 21, 2011 @ 22:03:09
@MadCornishBiker Said

Maybe, but it is a practice amongst many Muslims.

And it is also a practice among many Fathers to molest little boys. Maybe you should try that? Do God's will?

cheshire, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Aug 21, 2011 @ 22:06:49
@galasTAray Said

And it is also a practice among many Fathers to molest little boys. Maybe you should try that? Do God's will?

WTF is happening here ?? Explain
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#22New Post! Aug 22, 2011 @ 16:31:09
@shabang Said

WTF is happening here ?? Explain

That would almost be best not to ask. The most basic way to put it is that it's like a religious stereotype war. Catholic Priests molest little boys, Muslims are terrorists....
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#23New Post! Aug 22, 2011 @ 16:45:41
@shabang Said

Having been a christian all my life , brought up in a white christian family ( non practicing like most ) i have now converted to Islam , it is now my Holy month of Ramadhan , and i have been praying 5 times a day and fasting til the sun goes down - i find it a very disciplined religion , i am not a terrorist , i believe in the hereafter , i dont go around putting my religion in peoples faces or ram it down peoples throats !! i believe each to their own

However, i am in a predicament, my parents are now not accepting the fact that my criteria towards life has changed, they think it is idiotic that i amm starving myself. My wife who is also muslim is quite westernised and astray, i love her with all my heart and i love my parents and family equally the same.

Should i carry on hurting them or should i keep at it and please my wife - i am soooo confused in what i should now do. i dont want to do wrong by anyone i just need answers.

Just so I'm understanding the predicament...

Your parents, who are non-practicing Christians have a problem with your beliefs. Is it because of your beliefs, or just because or Ramadan?

I'm not terribly certain how different the criteria towards life is between Christian and Muslim, but you specifically mention that they think it's idiotic to starve yourself. Fasting is also a Christian principle and if memory serves, you are allowed to eat after sundown (right?) so you're not even starving yourself.

Also a Biblical principle is that when a man marries, he separates from his parents and cleaves to his wife. Of course, they expected you to remain in the (sort of) faith that you were raised with, but you've made your choice and if you believe in it, you should stand on it.

I don't believe you should turn from your faith because it's hurting your parents. If I put myself in their shoes, I would be wondering where I fell short in my own faith that I didn't demonstrate it well enough for my child that (s)he would remain in that same faith.

I realize that I've answered this from more of a Christian perspective and using Christian reasoning, but I don't think that your parents would respond to Muslim teaching.
salamsourceofpeace On December 08, 2016

, British Indian Ocean Territo
#24New Post! Nov 30, 2011 @ 08:54:21
Peace be on you.

Here are some relevant verses from Holy Quran, while you continue your wise and kind efforts. You can act according to your situation.

1) And We have enjoined on man kindness to his parents; but if they strive to make thee associate that with Me of which thou hast no knowledge, then obey them not. Unto Me is your return, and I shall inform you of what you did. [Holy Quran chapter 29: verse 9]

2) And if they contend with thee to make thee set up equals with Me concerning which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not, but be a kind companion to them in all worldly affairs; and in spiritual matters follow the way of him who turns to Me. Then unto Me will be your return and I shall inform you of what you used to do.[31:16]

3)Prayer for parents:
My Lord, have mercy on them even as they nourished me in my childhood.[17: words from 25]

4)Prayer for spouse:
Our Lord, grant us of our wives and children the delight of our eyes, and make us a model for the righteous.[25: words from 75]

Ref:https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/index.php
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Nov 30, 2011 @ 09:02:19
All i have to say is good on you for doing what you feel is right for you and As-Sal?mu `Alaykum
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs