The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Animal Rights

You think dairy consumption is good for you?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#61New Post! Aug 20, 2011 @ 18:21:22
@drummerwannabe Said

I don't believe parents really make their kids drink milk every day like they did back in the day (i.e.- '50s & '60s, when my mom and dad were forced to drink milk with almost every meal..they couldn't leave the table without finishing everything).

And that is too bad. I see a an exponentation of the osteoporosis problem a few decades from now, as a result, and not for the reasons the video suggest.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#62New Post! May 24, 2012 @ 22:49:38
In the US, dairy products are pasteurized (or ultra pasteurized) to kill off bacteria - which also kills off enzymes, vitamins, and the natural antimicrobial properties that are the real benefit of drinking milk in the first place.

Dairy cows, like most farm animals, are fed large amounts of anti-biotics in their grain (called medicated feed.) Anything they eat, ends up in the milk fat. This includes the pesticides used to grow the grain and added hormones for milk production.

On many of the lists of foods that should be purchased organic, milk is present due to pesticide residue, herbicides, and dioxins.

Then we get to the old calcium argument - is the calcium in milk actually digestible? Results aren't conclusive, and you have to consider the source. A lot of dairy research released to the public is funded by the dairy industry.

A Harvard article states that dairy is not conclusively shown to reduce the risk of osteoporosis. Calcium and Milk

On the animal rights side of things, the treatment of dairy cows is not particularly humane. Most dairy cows are pumped full of hormones to promote milk production, kept in tiny stalls, and bred each year to keep a constant supply of milk going. The central valley in California is filled with dairys, and many are near my house. They live in pretty filthy conditions and there are only a few free range dairys that I have ever seen. Most of the cows live in hutches, and the calves are usually taken away within the first few weeks of birth.

I have heard of pus and manure making it into store milk, and after seeing how closely cows are kept to one another, I would believe that claim to some extent.

I do drink milk, but on a very limited basis due to economic sustainability and the fact that milk really isn't very good for me or the animals it comes from. I encourage consumers to rely less on the arguments spoon fed to them on billboards and actually research dairy, especially the differences in dairy that has been pasteurized and homogenized, where vitamin D-3 supplements come from, etc.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#63New Post! May 24, 2012 @ 23:22:47
@rogy Said

This may be a surprise if you do...

rogY

More crazy propaganda.

Quote from link: “People believe in the basic 4 food groups…”

Funny thing the USDA, as an example, has 5 food groups not 4.

Quote from link: “…if you have 4 basic food groups… two of them are meat and dairy products… we are saying that half your food choices should be animal products…”

However, if you look and the USDA’s food pyramid, again as an example, it is clear that the animal products would be well less than half of the food you eat.

I find, personally, when someone is misrepresenting the truth I don't believe their argument.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs