AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#46New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 16:35:56
@chisa96 Said

That the toddler was left alone in the yard is where the problem lies.

I'm a little confused about that part. The first part of the story says that the 22 month old and a 3 year old were playing in the yard. Somewhere towards the middle, the Mom says that she was the one who should have been supervising.

But then it mentions her 12 year old daughter running into the house to call 911. Where was she? She was apparently outside...was she not with the kids?
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#47New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 16:41:25
@DorkySupergirl Said

My two cents, I find a lot of times when something horrible happens to a child we blame the parents. The fact is that even the best mom can have something horrible to their child, it does not always mean that the parent was negligent, a horrible mother or that criminal charges should be brought about.

How many times have we gone out to play and broken a bone, got a scratch, are our parents always to blame? Accident can and do happen and even death of a child can happen under proper supervision.

This mom may be negligent and the facts will be found out and if negligent then yes, she needs to be dealt with for not providing proper supervision for her child. But a parent is not always negligent with things happen.

Just because a bad things happens does not mean a person is legally culpable. Buy yes, anytime a person is being unfit an something happens to their child, something needs to be done but at the same time, not every case is child abuse or neglect, sometimes it just an awful tragedy.

For the most part, I really do agree with this. I can't see how a parent could let a toddler run around outside while they are inside though.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#48New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 16:47:02
@chisa96 Said

That the toddler was left alone in the yard is where the problem lies.

I totally agree !
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#49New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 16:48:01
@someone_else Said

I'm a little confused about that part. The first part of the story says that the 22 month old and a 3 year old were playing in the yard. Somewhere towards the middle, the Mom says that she was the one who should have been supervising.

But then it mentions her 12 year old daughter running into the house to call 911. Where was she? She was apparently outside...was she not with the kids?

I'm not really sure on that either. If they were actually being watched by the 12 year old it changes the story; 12 is a decent enough age to watch a couple of kids for a bit, depending on the 12 year old.

My reaction to the story changes if that were the case, but it doesn't really sound like this 12 year old was supposed to be watching them. Maybe she just happened to see what happened and ran to call 911?
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#50New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 16:51:33
@someone_else Said

She is a kid too. And kids will be kids. She clearly was playing and not paying attention to her sister...That is why, in one of my posts I said I would't put it past the mother to somehow try and make the 12 year old feel guilty for this; when in fact, they 'all' were 'her' (the mother's ) responsibility.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#51New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 16:54:32
@sTreetAngeL Said

She is a kid too. And kids will be kids. She clearly was playing and not paying attention to her sister...That is why, in one of my posts I said I would't put it past the mother to somehow try and make the 12 year old feel guilty for this; when in fact, they 'all' were 'her' (the mother's ) responsibility.

D'oh. I put it in at some point but I must have left it out of the 'final draft'...I wasn't asking that because I felt that it was her fault. I'm just confused as to where she actually was. The mom clearly said that it was her own responsibility...I was just curious about the logistics of the situation.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#52New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 16:56:59
@sTreetAngeL Said

Quote:
Detectives said they asked Pena who was supposed to be supervising the children when they went outside and played. "Karen Pena said, 'Well, it was me, obviously,' " police Detective Christine Hurley wrote.

She seems to acknowledge her responsibility for it.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#53New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 17:05:18
@someone_else Said

D'oh. I put it in at some point but I must have left it out of the 'final draft'...I wasn't asking that because I felt that it was her fault. I'm just confused as to where she actually was. The mom clearly said that it was her own responsibility...I was just curious about the logistics of the situation.

@chisa96 Said

She seems to acknowledge her responsibility for it.

It is the mother's fault; and I'm glad she acknowleges it, as hard as it must be to live with.

@Someon_else:
My mother's mother's, two year old son was hit and killed by a car.

My uncle, who was just a child himself at the time, was out there when it happened to my understanding, and made to feel, however indirectly, 'responsible' for it thoughout life. (that is why I bring it up,.. and still may happen here as well, as you raise a good point. And who knows...maybe the 12 year old did run out of the yard first, and the little one followed, to their demise.. )

It's an awful thing to have to live with though. I can't even imagine it... - My grandmother's once brunette hair turned completly white over night from the shock. She was never the same.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#54New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 17:12:37
@sTreetAngeL Said

It is the mother's fault; and I'm glad she acknowleges it, as hard as it must be to live with.

@Someon_else:
My mother's mother's, two year old son was hit and killed by a car.

My uncle, who was just a child himself at the time, was out there when it happened to my understanding, and made to feel, however indirectly, 'responsible' for it thoughout life. (that is why I bring it up,.. and still may happen here as well, as you raise a good point. And who knows...maybe the 12 year old did run out of the yard first, and the little one followed, to their demise.. )

It's an awful thing to have to live with though. I can't even imagine it... - My grandmother's once brunette hair turned completly white over night from the shock. She was never the same.

I agree. Hopefully the 12 year old will get some grief counseling.
My best friend's brother drowned in their backyard swimming pool. Each parent thought the other parent was watching him. I forget if my friend had been born at the time (I think she was) and I don't recall how old her other brother was, but I don't think that either one of them ever felt that they had any blame placed on them one way of the other.

Needless to say, the pool never had water in it after that.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#55New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 17:16:47
@someone_else Said

I agree. Hopefully the 12 year old will get some grief counseling.
My best friend's brother drowned in their backyard swimming pool. Each parent thought the other parent was watching him. I forget if my friend had been born at the time (I think she was) and I don't recall how old her other brother was, but I don't think that either one of them ever felt that they had any blame placed on them one way of the other.

Needless to say, the pool never had water in it after that.

That's sad, and must have been hell to live with.

I posted a thread not too long ago; a link that grasshopper had sent me on "signs of drowing, - it might not be what you think."
It was very enlightening and scary as much of the time you would never think the person was in any kind of stress at all. A child could drown right with the mother looking directly at them without her realizing that they are in need of any help.
LovemyBolts On June 27, 2011

San Diego, California
#56New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 18:10:00
What I don't get is if CPS has already been to this house before and their are reports already about this women and how she takes care of her kids... or lack thereof, then we didn't they remove her children?
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#57New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 18:16:53
This instance of her being on FB is not a one time thing for her being neglectful. Absolutely pathetic.

Quote:
The affidavit also accounts numerous reports about Pena to social services. Neighbors told investigators they often saw the young children outside alone, wearing only diapers so soiled that they hung down to their knees.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#58New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 15:05:37
"Pena said she last looked outside her bedroom window and saw her children on the sidewalk OUTSIDE the fenced-in area about three minutes before her daughter was hit.

Pena said that at that time, she told her kids to play inside the fence. "I told the kids to be inside the gated area," Pena told 9News shortly after the incident.

Five minutes after that, her 12-year-old daughter ran inside and told her to call 911, she said."

It's the bit above, that I have bolded out...

If she had just gotten up off her a** THEN, when she first saw them outside the gate, and then brought them inside.
aneil On February 20, 2023

Freeport, Trinidad and Tobago
#59New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 16:56:15
how many times it this same sh8t going to happen?
why are these people having children?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs