The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Science

embryos that are part human part animal?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
wildething On February 04, 2008

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Sep 05, 2007 @ 07:18:46
last night on the news there was a piece about new developments in stem cell research in which an new type of hybrid embryo called a 'cybrid' is being used, this is an embryo that is part human and part animal.
of course such research could lead to cures for such terrible conditions as 'parkinsons' and 'alzheimers', and i for one am all for it, as long as such research is strictly controlled. but in some countries stem cell research is banned completely on ethical grounds, and i am guessing that these countries also have a mainly catholic population. most muslim countries have no problem with this kind of research.
what do you think?
internautemax On May 27, 2008

Zhengzhou, China
#2New Post! Sep 05, 2007 @ 08:07:40
i think stem cell research should be fully developped before you decide to ban it or not.

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 05, 2007 @ 08:35:23
that is a paradox in terms, stem cell research is being developed that is why it is called research. it is the research that is being banned, nobody has yet been treated using stem cells that is a long way off.
internautemax On May 27, 2008

Zhengzhou, China
#4New Post! Sep 05, 2007 @ 10:16:01
@internautemax Said
the value of embryonic stem cell research is to explore potential treatment for some diseases rather than human duplication. this benefit outweighs its negative likelihood to be used for unethical purposes, which can be strictly stemmed.

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Sep 05, 2007 @ 10:19:04
exactly.
stem cell research is all about regenerating healthy tissue in order to cure certain diseases, not as some think about creating hybrid beings which is strictly science fiction not science fact.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#6New Post! Sep 05, 2007 @ 12:56:21
@wildething Said
last night on the news there was a piece about new developments in stem cell research in which an new type of hybrid embryo called a 'cybrid' is being used, this is an embryo that is part human and part animal.
of course such research could lead to cures for such terrible conditions as 'parkinsons' and 'alzheimers', and i for one am all for it, as long as such research is strictly controlled. but in some countries stem cell research is banned completely on ethical grounds, and i am guessing that these countries also have a mainly catholic population. most muslim countries have no problem with this kind of research.
what do you think?

I didn't think that was even biologically possible.
thefourfoldroot On March 02, 2008

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 05, 2007 @ 16:41:43
Britian just decided to allow the creation of hybrids for research. We rule!
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Sep 05, 2007 @ 18:28:54
@loveis Said
I didn't think that was even biologically possible.

Yeah it is. We did this and biology and I was only half-listening, but basically, cells all carry the same genes. They do different jobs by switching genes on and off. This is called differentiation. If you could get an undifferentiated cell and put them under the same conditions as, say, a liver cell, they would switch on the genes required to perform liver functions and could grow into an entire liver. The only places we know of where we can get undifferentiated cells are in new growths on plants, which would be useless in the field of medicine, or embryos.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs