Science

Computers show how wind could have parted Red Sea

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Sep 23, 2010 @ 18:03:58
I'm posting this in the science section not the religious one for a number of reasons but scientifically I found it an interesting possibility.

Quote:
New computer simulations have shown how the parting of the Red Sea, as described in the Bible, could have been a phenomenon caused by strong winds.

The account in the Book of Exodus describes how the waters of the sea parted, allowing the Israelites to flee their Egyptian pursuers.

Simulations by US scientists show how the movement of wind could have opened up a land bridge at one location.

This would have enabled people to walk across exposed mud flats to safety.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11383620
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#2New Post! Sep 23, 2010 @ 18:15:02
Yeah, I started to watch part of a program last night on television about this; the scientist who this article was about was on and talking about it.
He's a Christian, and scientist...He said for this, he "had on his scientist hat"; was trying to see an explanation for how it may have happened...Looked interesting, but I was too tired to stay up and watch it.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#3New Post! Sep 23, 2010 @ 18:18:13
Television lies!

he did it with his superpowers!
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#4New Post! Sep 23, 2010 @ 18:20:14
That really is awesome. Given the timing of it, i can see how they thought it a supernatural occurence.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Sep 23, 2010 @ 18:27:21
Another explination has been the destruction of one of the Greek islands, along the lines of Krakatoa, causing a tsunami (resulting in the water levels in/around Egypt to suddenly go down). Evidence suggests that both events were of the same time etc.
Enquiry On November 29, 2011

Hawthorn, Australia
#6New Post! Sep 26, 2010 @ 13:54:05
If you were to calculate the probability of such an event coinciding with a turning point of the Israelites such as this, you could not doubt it to be a miracle. Further, a tsunami taking place of a magnitude that was enough to replace the water, but not to wipe out the escaped Israelites - what are the odds?
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#7New Post! Sep 30, 2010 @ 17:36:37
@davii Said

Another explination has been the destruction of one of the Greek islands, along the lines of Krakatoa, causing a tsunami (resulting in the water levels in/around Egypt to suddenly go down). Evidence suggests that both events were of the same time etc.

Krakatoa is in the South Pacific...I think you are thinking of the one that wiped out the Minoan Civilization, possibly perpetrating the story of Atlantis.
That volcano was (is) Thera(it is still active).
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#8New Post! Sep 30, 2010 @ 17:40:16
There was a show on the History channel that explored the possibility that a strong sustained wind could have caused the sea of reeds to not part, but recede long enough for a large group of people to pass through.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Sep 30, 2010 @ 17:41:18
@deal1 Said

Krakatoa is in the South Pacific...I think you are thinking of the one that wiped out the Minoan Civilization, possibly perpetrating the story of Atlantis.
That volcano was (is) Thera(it is still active).

That's why I said "along the lines of" so there was something well known to put in mind as a comparison whilst reading what I'd put
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#10New Post! Sep 30, 2010 @ 17:43:32
I understand, I was just setting the record straight...
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Sep 30, 2010 @ 17:49:47
@Enquiry Said

If you were to calculate the probability of such an event coinciding with a turning point of the Israelites such as this, you could not doubt it to be a miracle. Further, a tsunami taking place of a magnitude that was enough to replace the water, but not to wipe out the escaped Israelites - what are the odds?

It is just a theory. When presented with the image of water that first disappears quickly, yet returns with enough power to drown a pursuing army, I think it's one of the better ones about.

The pummice stone that was dumped on Egypt from the event was dated to in/around that era of history. How/why the Israelites escaped as a result, pass.

Like many things, I'd hazard a guess that there were two different seperate events, close enough together in time to blur the retelling of the two together etc.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs