The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Is "Green Energy" the wave of the future?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
redryder712 On August 02, 2010

Mckinney, Texas
#16New Post! Aug 01, 2010 @ 18:36:35
The reason why I believe that green energy (i.e. windmills, solar panels, and home generators) will be the future of energy is not because of oil spills, dirty coal, and evil oil companies. But because the average person is becoming more technology savvy and will be able to maufacture these things for themselves in their own garages, the way Bill Gates came up with the windows program back in the 70s. The current dislike (even contempt) for BP is understandable considering their seeming complete disregard for safety and backup procedeures for dealing with contingencies like the present one, however I believe the planet has gone through many such disasters in the past that have been every bit as devastating or more so than this one and it will flourish because the planet has it's own way of recovering from them, After, all think of the devastaing effects of just one major volcanic eruption in the world and after a few months have passed the area where the eruption occurred is growing new vegetaion and the wildlife is multiplying with a vengeance.
fun2bme On February 16, 2011

St Joseph, Michigan
#17New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 17:36:11
the 'green movement' is just another bit of propaganda. It isn't real. Electric cars, solar panels, wind mills, fluorescent light bulbs...none of these thing impact the over all consumption of oil or coal.
I find the whole thing to be nonsensical, another pie in the sky idea that feels good to talk about over curb side recycling bins but in reality means next to nothing.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#18New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 18:48:19
@fun2bme Said

the 'green movement' is just another bit of propaganda. It isn't real. Electric cars, solar panels, wind mills, fluorescent light bulbs...none of these thing impact the over all consumption of oil or coal.
I find the whole thing to be nonsensical, another pie in the sky idea that feels good to talk about over curb side recycling bins but in reality means next to nothing.

I'm guessing that you haven't tried any of these things..
I've got a solar powered attic fan, and all my lightbulbs are either CFL's or LED's and as a result my electric bill has dropped by more than $300 a year..

And most of my electricity comes from coal, so that's $300 worth of electric that isn't being made by coal. Multiply that by the five other families on my block that are doing similar things, and that's $1500 in electric that's not made by coal.

Multiply that by the 400 city blocks in my little town, and figure that half the people are doing what we're doing on our block, and that's $300,000 a year worth of coal fired electricity that doesn't need to be created..

That's a lot, and it's a conservative estimate.

St Joseph, Michigan
#19New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 22:39:23
@boxerdc Said

I'm guessing that you haven't tried any of these things..
I've got a solar powered attic fan, and all my lightbulbs are either CFL's or LED's and as a result my electric bill has dropped by more than $300 a year..

And most of my electricity comes from coal, so that's $300 worth of electric that isn't being made by coal. Multiply that by the five other families on my block that are doing similar things, and that's $1500 in electric that's not made by coal.

Multiply that by the 400 city blocks in my little town, and figure that half the people are doing what we're doing on our block, and that's $300,000 a year worth of coal fired electricity that doesn't need to be created..

That's a lot, and it's a conservative estimate.

I'm glad you are saving money but the green movement isn't about saving money, its about saving the planet from the depredations of human beings and those nasty outrageous greedy pig capitalists. Right?
The small amount of energy savings generated by gullible Americans who buy solar panels and ten dollar light bulbs and (of all things) hybrid powered cars is burned a million times over in the production and manufacturing process of those items.
Here's the real kicker: brilliant minds on both the left and right, aided by the Unions (I love those guys, always looking out for me) sent most of the large production and manufacturing concerns overseas in the name of fair trade. Guess what those countries don't have and don't care about...environmental laws and regulations. So now they dump millions of tons of truly nasty crap into the skies and waters of this planet.
Go to Walmart and pick up an item...any item I don't care what...look for that cute little label that says...made in china. China is one of the biggest polluters this planet has ever seen. They can't get the coal out of the ground fast enough. They don't have environmental regs. They don't hamper themselves with laws like that.
The 'green' energy movement in the US is pure propaganda. It feels good to think you are helping the world. I get it. I applaud the sentiment but that's all this is or will ever amount to, sentiment.

Deleted

#20New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 23:19:43
@fun2bme Said

I'm glad you are saving money but the green movement isn't about saving money, its about saving the planet from the depredations of human beings and those nasty outrageous greedy pig capitalists. Right?
The small amount of energy savings generated by gullible Americans who buy solar panels and ten dollar light bulbs and (of all things) hybrid powered cars is burned a million times over in the production and manufacturing process of those items.
Here's the real kicker: brilliant minds on both the left and right, aided by the Unions (I love those guys, always looking out for me) sent most of the large production and manufacturing concerns overseas in the name of fair trade. Guess what those countries don't have and don't care about...environmental laws and regulations. So now they dump millions of tons of truly nasty crap into the skies and waters of this planet.
Go to Walmart and pick up an item...any item I don't care what...look for that cute little label that says...made in china. China is one of the biggest polluters this planet has ever seen. They can't get the coal out of the ground fast enough. They don't have environmental regs. They don't hamper themselves with laws like that.
The 'green' energy movement in the US is pure propaganda. It feels good to think you are helping the world. I get it. I applaud the sentiment but that's all this is or will ever amount to, sentiment.

It amounts to $300 in my wallet every year.
And it's obvious that you haven't even tried any of these things, because the $10 light bulbs are now $3 for a pack of four, and they're made by Phillips in Canada.

And I don't shop at Walmart.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#21New Post! Aug 05, 2010 @ 19:26:58
I've got one of the greenest sources of power there is...hydro...no emissions, the impoundment creates a ecosystem that benefits both man and beast, plus increases the tax base and sales in the community...win win situation.

St Joseph, Michigan
#22New Post! Aug 06, 2010 @ 02:14:12
@boxerdc Said

It amounts to $300 in my wallet every year.
And it's obvious that you haven't even tried any of these things, because the $10 light bulbs are now $3 for a pack of four, and they're made by Phillips in Canada.

And I don't shop at Walmart.

walmart...how dare I imply...

Deleted

#23New Post! Aug 06, 2010 @ 02:38:39
@fun2bme Said

walmart...how dare I imply...

I don't shop at walmart because most of what they sell is crap. I buy groceries from my local supermarket, because even though the produce is a little more expensive, it comes from local farmers, and it tastes better.

St Joseph, Michigan
#24New Post! Aug 07, 2010 @ 03:04:43
@boxerdc Said

I don't shop at walmart because most of what they sell is crap. I buy groceries from my local supermarket, because even though the produce is a little more expensive, it comes from local farmers, and it tastes better.

tell me, are you one of the guys in your picture or is it just a hot picture you like or maybe some friends of yours. I've known some gay men in my life but they never looked like that. They WISH they did and if they did they'd never get anything done. LOL. It's almost like looking at fantasy lesbians.
in any case, they are very pretty.

Deleted

#25New Post! Aug 07, 2010 @ 03:32:09
@fun2bme Said

tell me, are you one of the guys in your picture or is it just a hot picture you like or maybe some friends of yours. I've known some gay men in my life but they never looked like that. They WISH they did and if they did they'd never get anything done. LOL. It's almost like looking at fantasy lesbians.
in any case, they are very pretty.

No. I'm not one of the guys in the pic.
I just posted a pic of me the way I look now (tired and old) on my profile wearing glasses..

My first pair of glasses.. at least I made it to 49 before needing them.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs