Politics

World switches off to save planet in "Earth Hour"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#1New Post! Mar 29, 2009 @ 01:05:14
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Lights went out at tourism landmarks and homes across the globe on Saturday for Earth Hour 2009, a global event designed to highlight the threat from climate change.

From the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge to the Eiffel Tower in Paris and London's Houses of Parliament, lights were dimmed as part of a campaign to encourage people to cut energy use and curb greenhouse gas emissions from fossil fuels.

Organizers said the action showed millions of people wanted governments to work out a strong new U.N. deal to fight global warming by the end of 2009, even though the global economic crisis has raised worries about the costs.

"We have been dreaming of a new climate deal for a long time," Kim Carstensen, head of a global climate initiative at the conservation group WWF, said in a candle-lit bar in the German city of Bonn, which hosts U.N. climate talks between March 29 and April 8.

"Now we're no longer so alone with our dream. We're sharing it with all these people switching off their lights," he said as delegates and activists sipped bluish cocktails.

The U.N. Climate Panel says greenhouse gas emissions are warming the planet and will lead to more floods, droughts, heatwaves, rising sea levels and animal and plant extinctions.

World emissions have risen by about 70 percent since the 1970s. China has recently overtaken the United States as the top emitter, ahead of the European Union, Russia and India.

BILLION PEOPLE TAKE PART

The U.N. Climate Panel says rich nations will have to cut their emissions to a level between 25 and 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2020 to avoid the worst effects of warming. Developing nations will also have to slow the rise of their emissions by 2020, it says.

Australia first held Earth Hour in 2007 and it went global in 2008, attracting 50 million people, organizers say. WWF, which started the event, is hoping one billion people from nearly 90 countries will take part.

"The primary reason we do it is because we want people to think, even if it is for an hour, what they can do to lower their carbon footprint, and ideally take that beyond the hour," Earth Hour executive director Andy Ridley told reporters at Sydney's Bondi Beach.

In Asia, lights at landmarks in China, Singapore, Thailand and the Philippines were dimmed as people celebrated with candle-lit picnics and concerts.

Buildings in Singapore's business district went dark along with major landmarks such as the Singapore Flyer, a giant observation wheel.

Other global landmarks that switched off their lights included the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, the Reserve Bank in Mumbai, the dome of St Peter's Basilica in Rome, Egypt's Great Pyramids and the Acropolis in Athens.

(Reporting by Reuters bureau; Writing by Jon Boyle)

Here\'s the original link!

annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#2New Post! Mar 29, 2009 @ 01:13:37
It's a nice thought but....I'll leave the lights off an extra hour when I sleep in tomorrow morning.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#3New Post! Mar 29, 2009 @ 01:18:47
Here's the original link.

https://www.theforumsite.com/forum/topic/Earth-Hour-Today/300565
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#4New Post! Mar 29, 2009 @ 01:21:13
@loveis Said

Here's the original link.

https://www.theforumsite.com/forum/topic/Earth-Hour-Today/300565

woops, my bad. I didn't know it was already done
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#5New Post! Mar 29, 2009 @ 01:23:49
@hazuki0chan Said

woops, my bad. I didn't know it was already done

Tis okay.
fuzzy_hand_cuffs On December 30, 2009
I WORK OUT

Clarksville, Tennessee
#6New Post! Mar 29, 2009 @ 01:57:35
i think that is lame. i keep my lights on 24/7 just cause i can. i pay the bills. lol
fuzzy_hand_cuffs On December 30, 2009
I WORK OUT

Clarksville, Tennessee
#7New Post! Mar 29, 2009 @ 02:46:45
haha, wow....nice kudos
crankshaft On May 10, 2009

Banned

#8New Post! Mar 29, 2009 @ 03:18:42
@hazuki0chan Said

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Lights went out at tourism landmarks and homes across the globe on Saturday for Earth Hour 2009, a global event designed to highlight the threat from climate change.

From the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge to the Eiffel Tower in Paris and London's Houses of Parliament, lights were dimmed as part of a campaign to encourage people to cut energy use and curb greenhouse gas emissions from fossil fuels.

Organizers said the action showed millions of people wanted governments to work out a strong new U.N. deal to fight global warming by the end of 2009, even though the global economic crisis has raised worries about the costs.

"We have been dreaming of a new climate deal for a long time," Kim Carstensen, head of a global climate initiative at the conservation group WWF, said in a candle-lit bar in the German city of Bonn, which hosts U.N. climate talks between March 29 and April 8.

"Now we're no longer so alone with our dream. We're sharing it with all these people switching off their lights," he said as delegates and activists sipped bluish cocktails.

The U.N. Climate Panel says greenhouse gas emissions are warming the planet and will lead to more floods, droughts, heatwaves, rising sea levels and animal and plant extinctions.

World emissions have risen by about 70 percent since the 1970s. China has recently overtaken the United States as the top emitter, ahead of the European Union, Russia and India.

BILLION PEOPLE TAKE PART

The U.N. Climate Panel says rich nations will have to cut their emissions to a level between 25 and 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2020 to avoid the worst effects of warming. Developing nations will also have to slow the rise of their emissions by 2020, it says.

Australia first held Earth Hour in 2007 and it went global in 2008, attracting 50 million people, organizers say. WWF, which started the event, is hoping one billion people from nearly 90 countries will take part.

"The primary reason we do it is because we want people to think, even if it is for an hour, what they can do to lower their carbon footprint, and ideally take that beyond the hour," Earth Hour executive director Andy Ridley told reporters at Sydney's Bondi Beach.

In Asia, lights at landmarks in China, Singapore, Thailand and the Philippines were dimmed as people celebrated with candle-lit picnics and concerts.

Buildings in Singapore's business district went dark along with major landmarks such as the Singapore Flyer, a giant observation wheel.

Other global landmarks that switched off their lights included the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, the Reserve Bank in Mumbai, the dome of St Peter's Basilica in Rome, Egypt's Great Pyramids and the Acropolis in Athens.

(Reporting by Reuters bureau; Writing by Jon Boyle)

Here\'s the original link!

It's akin to spitting in the ocean.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#9New Post! Mar 29, 2009 @ 05:49:05
How's this supposed to curb climate change? It's like the day without gas nonsense. It doesn't actually effect anything. It just makes people feel better that they "sacrificed" for the greater good.
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#10New Post! Mar 29, 2009 @ 05:49:40
@crazylikeafox Said

How's this supposed to curb climate change? It's like the day without gas nonsense. It doesn't actually effect anything. It just makes people feel better that they "sacrificed" for the greater good.

It raises awareness? That's the only explanation I have.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs