Nevermind.

Exactly
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#62New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 20:48:36
@_Samantha_ Said

Like all medical drug studies.

Nah, doctors have to study more than vets before they suggest meds.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#63New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 20:48:55
@xTeddyx Said

Exactly

_Samantha_ On May 19, 2010

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#64New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 20:50:53
@chisa96 Said

Nah, doctors have to study more than vets.

Doctors are just the 'pushers' lol. Look up the studies round stuff like Prozac. A real joke!
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#65New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 21:36:07
A lot of the meds they use for people, they use on animals.
Prozac, vicodin, morphine, adderal (in some cases).
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#66New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 23:28:17
In my family (Me, Mum, my Aunt and both sets of Grandparents) we have always fed our cats and dogs half and half dry and 'wet' food.

The cats tended to eat the wet food, then nibble at the dry stuff throughout the day. Though, my cat loved water, he used to jump in my paddling pool with me. And his all time favourite treat was McDonalds Strawberry Milkshake (which probably wasn't all that good for him)
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#67New Post! May 13, 2010 @ 00:56:44
@ninozara Said

In my family (Me, Mum, my Aunt and both sets of Grandparents) we have always fed our cats and dogs half and half dry and 'wet' food.

The cats tended to eat the wet food, then nibble at the dry stuff throughout the day. Though, my cat loved water, he used to jump in my paddling pool with me. And his all time favourite treat was McDonalds Strawberry Milkshake (which probably wasn't all that good for him)

I have to feed my dog half dry and half wet food to get her to eat; she's an old gal, 16 years.

My one kitty Nikki, loves strawberry ice cream too...we only let her have a few licks, but she's just wild about it.lol
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#68New Post! Jun 18, 2010 @ 23:15:36
@sTreetAngeL Said

I came across the link below, (and find it quite helpful) whilst searching for something at the webmd..

They say here, that cats, don't like to drink water...and that dry cat food should be avoided, as cats get most of their water through their food, (dating back to their days in the wild or something such as that)..

Now, MY cats LOVE water, and drink every chance they get, wheter they get it from their bowl, or preferably from a running faucet, - which they never miss their chance for whenever they hear the tap running, and that is quite often!
Further, they LOVE their dry cat food, preferring it over all else, even attempts at table food!

So, I'm wondering, are my cats unusual? Or does what they say relate to the majority of cats?

https://pets.webmd.com/

Your cats sound completely normal to me. In general, cats like running water (like from a pet fountain or water faucet or even a toilet) and they like to go to different places to drink. Wet food allows cats to get the extra moisture that they need, but it is not nutritionally balanced and should not be the only source of food for a cat. I believe the only companies that make completely balanced wet foods are Innova and Wellness. Wet food does not contain the vitamins, minerals, taurine, and proper ratios of fat to protein a cat needs to thrive. You must provide your cat with a quality dry food!
Karma_Junkie On September 18, 2011
Miss Dizzy Bastard

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#69New Post! Jun 18, 2010 @ 23:31:59
@magically_delicious Said

Your cats sound completely normal to me. In general, cats like running water (like from a pet fountain or water faucet or even a toilet) and they like to go to different places to drink. Wet food allows cats to get the extra moisture that they need, but it is not nutritionally balanced and should not be the only source of food for a cat. I believe the only companies that make completely balanced wet foods are Innova and Wellness. Wet food does not contain the vitamins, minerals, taurine, and proper ratios of fat to protein a cat needs to thrive. You must provide your cat with a quality dry food!

I put fresh water down for China every day but she insists on drinking from the pond or somewhere that the rain has pooled, she eats wet and dry food, and once a week I get her some coley fish which she like more than anything, she also insists on being given some of the koi sticks every time I feed the fish, she will stand there meowing until I give some to her, its as if she's saying hey where's mine maybe that's why she's overweight, I have cut down her food intake in the hope that she sheds a bit of weight though.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#70New Post! Jun 18, 2010 @ 23:43:49
@jonnythan Said

Vets, in general, know nothing or next to nothing about feline nutrition. It's not something they really teach in veterinary school.

The little they do know comes almost exclusively from the food manufacturers themselves, primarily Hill's and Nutro. Both of these companies make dry cat foods, so it's no surprise they in general don't have much critical to say about dry cat foods.

You are so right about that!

THey don't know about canine nutrition either. It is amazing how few classes are actually on their curriculum. And yes, that is exactly why they promote brands like Science Diet.

People would be very surprised to know that the food sold in the majority of vet offices is really subpar, and not even very healthy.

I have never seen ony of the best foods on their shelves.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#71New Post! Jun 18, 2010 @ 23:46:11
@xTeddyx Said

Science Diet even has a hard brand of food for there teeth only, i use it as treats for my pets as my vet has advised me to, i have to trust that my vet knows what she is doing. Its way cheaper then getting there teeth cleaned yearly!

Vets also sell greenies even though they are horrible for dogs and a choking hazard.

Hopefully they have finally been pulled from the shelves. Last I heard they might finally have been taken off the market, but i'm not sure.

Vets are not nutritionists. Really, they aren't. I don't always agree with Johnnythan but he is really right on the money in this thread.

As for the original post, I would surmise that household cats have learned to adapt to their environment. If they are fed dry cat food they are eventually going to have to get their fluids somewhere, thus they will freely drink water.

Every cat I ever owned like drinking from a dripping faucet.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#72New Post! Jun 18, 2010 @ 23:47:27
@Lili Said

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I thought I read somewhere or was told by someone that vets only recommend certain brands because they get compensated for it by the companies selling them, and they really don't know if one brand is better than another.

Yup.

Just like doctors will prescribe certain prescriptions because of the major kickbacks from the pharma companies.

Things like this happen regularly in the animal and human world of medicine. Money talks.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#73New Post! Jun 18, 2010 @ 23:48:27
@jonnythan Said

That is true. Hill's, the Science Diet company, is the leader in this. There's a reason that most vet offices are stocked only with Science Diet.

They do a lot of research into feline nutrition, but they also pay an enormous amount of money to "educate" vets and vet offices the same way pharmaceutical reps "educate" doctors and doctor's offices about drugs.

JINX. Just read this and it is almost identical to what i wrote.
esther On June 24, 2010

Lake George, Minnesota
#74New Post! Jun 21, 2010 @ 05:20:26
cat,
my cats get fed 2x's a day with both part hand full of dry and a half tsp. of canned. no seafood,some cats kidneys cannot handle seafood including cat food tuna. my cats drink water out of a cup on the bathroom counter, on floor by their food and out of bucket on floor that gets moved around sometimes. I also have water outside they drink along with the rabbits,squirrels,chipmunks,birds,wolves,raccoons,bears,deer etc.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#75New Post! Jun 21, 2010 @ 14:49:07
@esther Said

cat,
my cats get fed 2x's a day with both part hand full of dry and a half tsp. of canned. no seafood,some cats kidneys cannot handle seafood including cat food tuna. my cats drink water out of a cup on the bathroom counter, on floor by their food and out of bucket on floor that gets moved around sometimes. I also have water outside they drink along with the rabbits,squirrels,chipmunks,birds,wolves,raccoons,bears,deer etc.

I think I'd be careful letting them share drinking sources with wild animals. You just never know the diseases that they may carry.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs