Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7
Pussy_Kat On November 24, 2010

Banned

, United Kingdom
#91New Post! Apr 11, 2010 @ 18:45:06
@buffalobill90 Said

Every time my brain activity has reduced to minimal levels, or my brain has not been fully formed or hasn't existed at all, I have been unconscious. I doubt death will be any different.

Say, for argument's sake, that your only source of information was a virtual reality headset linked to the output from a remote camera? Ok - humour me here! If, temporarily, that is your only source of information, you will believe yourself to be where the camera is and then if that information is messed up or shut out (as in sleep) then your awareness will be of confusion or of nothing. If you say 'death' is analogous to the headset being removed then you are simply no longer solely linked to that source of information, but revert to your usual perception. 8) Its an analogy, but it shows the kinda way it could work.

Banned

, United Kingdom
#92New Post! Apr 11, 2010 @ 18:45:51
@KulliK357 Said

Well done you know what energy is.....
Are you seriously that humourless?
Do you really think everyone else is that stupid?

Yes, no and no.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#93New Post! Apr 11, 2010 @ 18:51:57
@Pussy_Kat Said

Say, for argument's sake, that your only source of information was a virtual reality headset linked to the output from a remote camera? Ok - humour me here! If, temporarily, that is your only source of information, you will believe yourself to be where the camera is and then if that information is messed up or shut out (as in sleep) then your awareness will be of confusion or of nothing. If you say 'death' is analogous to the headset being removed then you are simply no longer solely linked to that source of information, but revert to your usual perception. 8) Its an analogy, but it shows the kinda way it could work.

How can there be another method of gathering, interpreting and representating information? I rely on an active brain for all of that. When it is gone, my conscious mind will no longer be sustained and I will be unconscious, just like when my brain becomes almost inert in sleep or anaesthesia, or before I was born and the brain didn't exist.

Your headset analogy is more like losing your eyes or ears. I can't imagine what that is like, but I know that when my brain is inactive I have no mind. When it dies and decays, the same will presumably apply, unless something magical happens.

Banned

, United Kingdom
#94New Post! Apr 11, 2010 @ 19:04:16
@buffalobill90 Said

How can there be another method of gathering, interpreting and representating information? I rely on an active brain for all of that. When it is gone, my conscious mind will no longer be sustained and I will be unconscious, just like when my brain becomes almost inert in sleep or anaesthesia, or before I was born and the brain didn't exist.

Your headset analogy is more like losing your eyes or ears. I can't imagine what that is like, but I know that when my brain is inactive I have no mind. When it dies and decays, the same will presumably apply, unless something magical happens.

Science has no explanation for how conscious awareness arises. Nothing about the brain allows for it, in fact information at the level of the brain is all in compartments, not unified at all - what neuroscientists call 'The Binding Problem'. There is some evidence that consciousness can still occur when the brain is shut down though.

The best book I've read about this problem for science is 'The Undiscovered Mind' by John Horgan.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#95New Post! Apr 11, 2010 @ 19:06:36
@Pussy_Kat Said

Science has no explanation for how conscious awareness arises. Nothing about the brain allows for it, in fact information at the level of the brain is all in compartments, not unified at all - what neuroscientists call 'The Binding Problem'. There is some evidence that consciousness can still occur when the brain is shut down though.

The best book I've read about this problem for science is 'The Undiscovered Mind' by John Horgan.

It's true that we don't yet understand how conscious awareness is possible, but it is also true that people didn't used to understand how mobility was possible. They blamed that on magical, immaterial souls as well; were they right?

Banned

, United Kingdom
#96New Post! Apr 11, 2010 @ 19:15:45
@buffalobill90 Said

It's true that we don't yet understand how conscious awareness is possible, but it is also true that people didn't used to understand how mobility was possible. They blamed that on magical, immaterial souls as well; were they right?

The brain seems to do all the organising for how to make us move, but the problem is what makes us want to - where is the motivation? It's like a car and a driver - you can make an argument like science does now that the car drives along the road because of the engine, the steering wheel, the pedals and so on - but the reason it chooses to go a certain way is because of the driver. All science sees is what it can measure - if the driver was invisible to us we'd say it has got to be because of the steering wheel, lol.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#97New Post! Apr 11, 2010 @ 19:19:43
@Pussy_Kat Said

The brain seems to do all the organising for how to make us move, but the problem is what makes us want to - where is the motivation? It's like a car and a driver - you can make an argument like science does now that the car drives along the road because of the engine, the steering wheel, the pedals and so on - but the reason it chooses to go a certain way is because of the driver. All science sees is what it can measure - if the driver was invisible to us we'd say it has got to be because of the steering wheel, lol.

I don't know if motivations originate purely from the brain, but I presume they don't. In any case, I can use plenty of other examples of things which we didn't used to understand but do now. Blaming the unexplainable on magic is defeatist. I'm not going to assume that the destruction of my brain will be a magical event in which the usual rules do not apply. I'm going to permanently lose consciousness, that's all.
becka_w On May 01, 2010

New York City, New York
#98New Post! Apr 11, 2010 @ 19:24:05
@colby Said

What do you think will happen when you die?

Hi, I'm Rebecka.
You know, I thought about that when I was once wool gathering, those times that I was trying to quit smoking. I ask myself, what will happen to my son, without me? What will happen to my lungs - and I could just picture it - when I choose to be stubborn enough not to quit?

How about you? What are your thoughts?
colby On September 26, 2010

Unknown, Ohio
#99New Post! Apr 11, 2010 @ 19:26:49
@KulliK357 Said

Do it.
Might be a laugh.

@buffalobill90 Said

I don't know if motivations originate purely from the brain, but I presume they don't. In any case, I can use plenty of other examples of things which we didn't used to understand but do now. Blaming the unexplainable on magic is defeatist. I'm not going to assume that the destruction of my brain will be a magical event in which the usual rules do not apply. I'm going to permanently lose consciousness, that's all.

@becka_w Said

Hi, I'm Rebecka.
You know, I thought about that when I was once wool gathering, those times that I was trying to quit smoking. I ask myself, what will happen to my son, without me? What will happen to my lungs - and I could just picture it - when I choose to be stubborn enough not to quit?

How about you? What are your thoughts?

Hi Rebeca, I don't think anything will happen just like sleeping.
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#100New Post! Apr 11, 2010 @ 19:29:30
I think we return to the womb when we bite the dust. Not our biological mother's, of course, but Mother Earth's womb. Even if some people choose to be cremated, their ashes still return to the soil, where we came from.