Forums: Business & Money:
Jobs & Careers

Budget 2010: Public jobs stay by making ?11bn savings incl advertising cuts

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 25, 2010 @ 12:39:36
So, the Budget is out and the Chancellor suggests no job cuts in the public sector; however, ?11bn efficiency savings will be made.

Savings are set to be implemented through measures like switching off lights in buildings and making other office related costs in addition to trimming marketing budgets.

Like the Daily Mail , I too wonder if this is just to keep staff in the public sector happy until the elections after which job cuts will be implemented.

How else do the government plan to deal with their ?167billion of debt? I really do hope it doesn?t come to it, but it will be truly annoying if all the Budget is, is a tactic to lie and butter-up innocent people.

Further more huge savings, according to the chancellor, will be made through relocating some 15,000 civil servants out of London?and ?630million will be saved by improving IT systems.

Not even the Treasury spokesman Vince Cable believes that The Department of Health is able to save ?555million in costs, which they plan to do through reducing sick absence. If you are sick, you are sick, how do they plan to prevent nurses and doctors from getting sick, control their diets and give them regular shots?

What are your feelings about the budget on the public sector? Do you really believe the cuts the gov is suggesting are feasible and that front-line jobs will be spared in the process?
Phoenyx On January 21, 2011

watching the vibrant display o
#2New Post! Apr 13, 2010 @ 06:49:07
I wonder if relocating the london staff will actually work well. I mean, who would be happy if youre told that you have to move? would you be fired if you didnt want to relocate?

As for the health department, Im not sure reducing sick days will work. Ive read of a few companies in japan that actually offer tai chi during breaks so their staff can relax. And it boosts the companies efficiency.

But one thing Ive learnt is that there is nothing you can do to stop getting sick. They can control the work environment yes, but not the employees home environment.
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 23, 2010 @ 11:34:22
Exactly, it sounded strange to me as well. Relocating for a job can be a massive expense and you loose out on loads, at the moment I in exactly the same predicament because I have a home, dogs a life here...but all the jobs seems to be in the CITY.
Phoenyx On January 21, 2011

watching the vibrant display o
#4New Post! Apr 23, 2010 @ 11:37:16
Precisely. which is why i dont think it will go down well.
but then again, you have to go where the money is and if it means you have to move.......
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 23, 2010 @ 12:25:35
The amount of spending is going to increase in the public sector for the rest of the year and the beggining of next year, the reduction in spending will come next year once pay increases are prevented, particularly for those in management positions. Taking 15,000 jobs out of London will also greatly decrease the amount of expenditure.

The actual details aren't being released until after the election, but this doesn't really matter as public service jobs are guaranteed until midway through 2011 anyway even if your/the Daily Mail's conspiracy theory is correct. That is more than the Tories could promise.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs