Forums: Health & Fitness:
Alternative Medicine

Dandruff treatments

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
M_Gates On February 03, 2010

, Portugal
#1New Post! Jan 07, 2010 @ 11:55:02
Does anybody know any good alternative dandruff treatments?

thanks
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 07, 2010 @ 12:00:42
use shampoo with no alcohol in it.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 07, 2010 @ 12:02:23
Don't buy Head and Shoulders and all that bollocks. It makes the problem worse.

I dunno about "alternative" methods, but my hairdresser treated me for it with this really expensive stuff.
M_Gates On February 03, 2010

, Portugal
#4New Post! Jan 11, 2010 @ 15:05:59
What was the expensive stuff???

Ive used head and shoulders for years and you are right it just gets worse and worse...I wonder if they do that on purpose so that you are "hooked" on it??
Moxie On July 26, 2014

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Jan 05, 2011 @ 04:50:59
@M_Gates Said

What was the expensive stuff???

Ive used head and shoulders for years and you are right it just gets worse and worse...I wonder if they do that on purpose so that you are "hooked" on it??

Good point, because those shampoos treat the symptom, but don't fix the underlying problem: diet. They don't want you to know that, because that's how they make their money!

Eat Omega 3 fats (eat fish, or take fish oil or krill oil) more than Omega 6 fats (corn, soy, canola, safflower) <-- which encourage inflammation, especially when they are in trans fat form.

Be aware of how much processed grains you eat (cereals, white rice) and sugars too, because the fungus and yeast feed on these sugars and grains. A quality probiotic will re-balance yeast overgrowth which has been feeding the dandruff fungus.
dylangreen On September 10, 2011

Plymouth, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 27, 2011 @ 10:56:50
to be honest it all depends on the cause - if you have skin problems anyway you may not find the help you need unless you get a medicated shampoo from your doctor

if however, it is just a "normal" dandruff problem and you would prefer an alternative option then there are a few aromatherapy recipes online which would help for problems like this - another option would be to look into natural essential oils and make your own rinse (use rosewater or similar as the base and add a few drops of your NATURAL essential oils use as the last rinse - also good for solving issues like oily/dry hair)

word of warning if you do try to make your own hair treatments - always use natural essential oils - they do cost more but they are worth it in the long run as you don't need to use a lot - also some essential oils have warnings that come with them if you have any concerns i know a little about it and i will look into some suggestions but feel free to ask any questions

- dylan
Pcptrvanion On November 10, 2014

Howe, Texas
#7New Post! Aug 27, 2011 @ 15:51:12
Back in the day...our grandparents would use Listerine as a pre-rinse.

It works as an anti-biotic killing whatever microbe causes the dandruff problem to begin with.

You buy the stuff by the gallon so it only costs pennies per use.

Just be sure not to get any into your eyes. **ouch**

Marginally effective against Athletes Foot and toe-nail fungus.
Silly_Me On April 22, 2020

In a cave, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Aug 27, 2011 @ 16:16:46
Polytar shampoo is great, you can buy it over the counter or get it on prescription here in the UK. my son uses it as he has eczema, its also used for the treatment of dandruff, psorriasis and more.
GaryL On January 20, 2021

North Branch, Minnesota
#9New Post! Aug 27, 2011 @ 16:29:25
Try these.

T-Gel or T-Sal. Both are products of Neutrogena.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs