Barn Laid Eggs, RSPCA Approved.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#16New Post! Oct 26, 2009 @ 20:48:27
@2nd_Evil_Head Said

Slugs don't taste nearly as good as chickens, no matter how long you marinate them.

And it takes far too many of them to make a decent pot pie.
2nd_Evil_Head On March 24, 2015

Elmira,
#17New Post! Oct 26, 2009 @ 20:55:47
@boxerdc Said

And it takes far too many of them to make a decent pot pie.

I don't know man, I've seen some freakishly large slugs, they were free-range too.

Elmira,
#18New Post! Oct 26, 2009 @ 20:59:27
Back on topic: If I had a lemming farm, would it be more humane to provide a high cliff for them to cast themselves off of, or just a series of short drop-offs in the meadow?

(and yes, I know lemmings don't really rush over cliffs)
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#19New Post! Oct 26, 2009 @ 21:35:00
@2nd_Evil_Head Said

Back on topic: If I had a lemming farm, would it be more humane to provide a high cliff for them to cast themselves off of, or just a series of short drop-offs in the meadow?

(and yes, I know lemmings don't really rush over cliffs)

I'd be willing to bet that lemming tastes like chicken.
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Oct 26, 2009 @ 22:00:05
@Lili Said

I personally don't eat eggs anymore, but my husband gives a flying F*** about animal rights or welfare, and so I have to find some more self-centered reason for him to stop buying them. Is there perhaps some health problems caused by eggs I should know about?? lol
I got him to stop buying milk by telling him about Bovine Leukemia Virus. (75% of cows are infected with it, and it is cross-species communicable, and leukemia rates are higher in dairy states). Got anything similar for eggs? If I tell him I don't want to buy them to stop the suffering, knowing him, he'll just start buying twice as many just to spite me.

Take a look at "health issues..." here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_%28food%29

Elmira,
#21New Post! Oct 26, 2009 @ 22:00:43
@boxerdc Said

I'd be willing to bet that lemming tastes like chicken.

I've never actually had lemming, but my guess would be it's more a minky/skunky kind of thing, probably want to par-boil it first, then use a lot of Mrs. Dash.
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Oct 26, 2009 @ 22:02:49
@boxerdc Said

Chickens running around in a meadow? You have very high expectations of chickens. They're simply not smart enough to run around in meadows.

Chickens are vegetables with heads.

I know you have a hatred of chickens but you are wrong about them.

There is an interesting video by animal behaviourists (available on YouTube now) showing that chickens can learn by watching TV - a considerable feat for nonhuman animals (especially when so much TV seems to be designed to make morons of us all).

rogY
Bea On December 05, 2009

Winter Haven, Florida
#23New Post! Oct 29, 2009 @ 18:38:58
WoW... never saw that before! The manure balls in the original vid. Never even imagined such.

But about chickens being stupid - really not so...

I have a small flock of rescued "egg" hens. They are very clever about choosing where to dust bathe, always liking the area where the sun will be in the next half hour - AFTER they've dug into the cool dirt. They also have great memories and can identify up to 50 members in their flock. And they certainly recognize their care-givers above strangers. They have a wide range of vocalizations, about 25 or so, that communicate predator, food, friend, etc. They can be taught "tricks" and have a memory for "reward". For instance the hen I call Buffy is a theif - and will snatch nearly anything she can drag out of your hand and "hide" it from the others... Eunice likes to glide to and fro the yard... I guess she's amazed she can fly(?) Liz will come when called... I can't even get my dog to do that half the time. Another likes pushing a tennis ball with her beak. All this indicates "intellegence" and awareness.

So, chickens are hardly automatons or even "stupid". It's just sad we've allowed ourselves the indoctrination of considering them "birdbrains". Everyone I know who has socialized with them, walk away with a totally different concept of what chicken personalities are really all about. Chickens, and birds in general are pretty cool once you get to know them... really.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs