Medicine

ACE Inhibitors

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#1New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 06:15:29
today i was wondering what ace inhibitors were... now i know...

Angiotnsin II is a chemical that causes the muscles around blood vessels to contract which narrows the vessels, causing hypertension (high blood pressure). It's formed in the blood from Angiotensin 1 by the ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme).

ACE inhibitors slow the activity of the ACE enzyme. As a result, the blood vessels enlarge and blood pressure drops, making it easier for the blood to circulate reducing the stress on the heart. The progression of kidney disease from hypertension or diabetes is also slowed.

The following ACE inhibitors are available in the US: benazepril (Lotensin), captopril (Capoten), enalapril (Vasotec, fosinopril (Monopril), lisinorpril (Prinivil/Zestril), moexipril (Univasc), perindopril (Aceon), quinapril (Accupril), ramipril (Altace), and trandolapril (Mavik). They differ in how the body eliminates them and whether they work more on ACE in tissues or ACE in the blood but the importance of this difference or whether one is more effective than another has not been determined. The side effects a patient experiences is generally the same between types.

SIDE EFFECTS:
They may cause birth defects and are not prescribed to pregnant patients. People with bilateral renal artery stenosis (narrowing) may experience a worsening of their kidney function, and those who have had a severe reactions in the past should not take them.

The common side effects are cough, low blood pressure, the effects of low blood pressure (dizziness, headache, drowsiness, weakness), elevated potassium levels, abnormal taste (metallic or salty), and rash.

The rare, serious side effects are kidney failure, allergic reactions, decreased white blood cell count, and angioedema (tissue swelling).

DRUG INTERACTIONS:
As ACE inhibitors may increase potassium levels, potassium intake should be minimized. They may also increase the concentration of lithium, leading to an increase of side effects. Aspirin, ibuprofen, indomethacin (Indoncin), and naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn, Naprelan, Anaprox) may reduce the effects of the ACE inhibitors.
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#2New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 06:31:04
Thanks for the info! Do you know some that I can use for my lungs though?
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#3New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 06:32:27
@Asme251 Said

what, you want to reduce the stress on your lungs?
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#4New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 06:36:00
@chisa96 Said

what, you want to reduce the stress on your lungs?

Something like that I guess. I have difficulty breathing. I may have bronchitis or something of the sort.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#5New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 06:38:13
@Asme251 Said

Something like that I guess. I have difficulty breathing. I may have bronchitis or something of the sort.

you'll have to ask your doctor... i have no clue what to tell you...
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#6New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 06:39:41
Nah; I'm looking for an OTC stuff.

I'm wondering, why did you post this?
Hiromi On April 04, 2009

Deleted

, Gaza Strip
#7New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 06:41:27
I got naked and sttudied it
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#8New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 06:55:43
@Asme251 Said

Nah; I'm looking for an OTC stuff.

I'm wondering, why did you post this?

otc?

it helps me learn/remember it...
basha On June 14, 2012

Somewhere YOU wanna be!!, Unit
#9New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 08:32:47
What did you do?? Just copy the page out of the British National Formulary???

@Asme251 Said

Asme Hunny you really should see your doctor, there can be lots of reasons for shortness of breath, Asthma (no you don't have to be born with it my mom didn't develop it till she was 50) Allergies, Chest infection, fibrosis, Bronchitis (chronic or acute) Inflammatory response (usually to allergies). Depending on what the problem is, the treatments will vary!!
GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR BUSTER!!!
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#10New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 09:04:25
@basha Said

Asme Hunny you really should see your doctor, there can be lots of reasons for shortness of breath, Asthma (no you don't have to be born with it my mom didn't develop it till she was 50) Allergies, Chest infection, fibrosis, Bronchitis (chronic or acute) Inflammatory response (usually to allergies). Depending on what the problem is, the treatments will vary!!
GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR BUSTER!!!

Anti-hypertension medication won't help your lungs but the priniciple is similar. Medicines that help people with breathing difficulties open up the airways, as opposed to the blood vessels.
Sounds like asthma to me - it can be induced by sports, stress, allergies. You really should see a doctor about this.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#11New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 09:31:15
@chisa96 Said

otc?

it helps me learn/remember it...

OTC, means "over the counter" medication.

Keep up the good postings; they're interesting.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#12New Post! Mar 14, 2009 @ 19:18:44
@basha Said

hell no!!... im reading this stuff and then writing it out... racking in some solid points too...
marthara On April 15, 2009

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Apr 15, 2009 @ 04:38:11
@Asme251 Said

course you need to get a proper medical diagnosis but i would suggest steam therapy. A simple way of doing that would be getting abowl of hot water and a towel and maybe some eukayptus oil if your congested or just if you like the smell, and/ or another essential oil too and plcae the towel over your head and inhale the steam. this will help open your airways and at the same time open your pores so you get a facial at the same time A steam room session may help your lungs too- just make sure you don't have anything infectious or the next person who uses the room might catch it!!! (although maybe the temperature of the steam would kill most pathogens??)

Heat must increase ACE levels in the body as heat dilates the blood vessels. If you have ever noticed on a hot day that your viens are more prominent??

Maybe a steam room or a sauna could help some people who need to increase thier ACE levels and blood flow? However the cold shower after a sauna would make thier surface vessels contract again, but would still increase circulation.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs