Apparently...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
mrman On April 06, 2009

Deleted

no tell :), Heard Island and M
#16New Post! Nov 30, 2008 @ 17:25:33
its not until i read things like this that i realise how lucky i was growing up with both parents. most people dont realise the effect not knowing one of your parents may have on a child.
well, if youre happy now then seeing your dad may mess things up again...you have to do what pinkmelody said and think about yourself and what you want. if you do decide to see your dad then be aware that it wont just be a simple chat and catch up and things will be a bed of roses. youre bound to have questions and you have every right to ask him those questions. dont be at all ashamed of the pain he has caused you. make it known of everything he has caused in your life because of his absence... that is if you feel comfortable with him knowing about your rocky past. it would be like meeting a stranger after-all... he may be your dad by dna but hes not been there...you dont know the guy. if you did see him itd take a while of constant visits to get to know him and even years and years down the line he still may not feel like your dad.
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#17New Post! Nov 30, 2008 @ 17:28:03
@mrman Said

its not until i read things like this that i realise how lucky i was growing up with both parents. most people dont realise the effect not knowing one of your parents may have on a child.
well, if youre happy now then seeing your dad may mess things up again...you have to do what pinkmelody said and think about yourself and what you want. if you do decide to see your dad then be aware that it wont just be a simple chat and catch up and things will be a bed of roses. youre bound to have questions and you have every right to ask him those questions. dont be at all ashamed of the pain he has caused you. make it known of everything he has caused in your life because of his absence... that is if you feel comfortable with him knowing about your rocky past. it would be like meeting a stranger after-all... he may be your dad by dna but hes not been there...you dont know the guy. if you did see him itd take a while of constant visits to get to know him and even years and years down the line he still may not feel like your dad.

Its a terrible feling knowing one parent doesn't care, my father didn't want me because I wasn't a boy.

Funny thing was whn I contacted my real father he insisted I called him 'daddy'...i'm 31 ffs!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#18New Post! Nov 30, 2008 @ 19:02:51
@plaidmushroom Said

My father has decided that after 16 years he wants to see me. We're talking about a guy who denied that I was even his kid for 12 years until he FINALLY took paternity test(which came back 99.99% positive)and that was only because it was court ordered for child support. I cried myself to sleep nearly every night for God only knows how long, I started skipping meals and dieting in the 4th grade because I thought if I was pretty he might love me, it progressed to anorexia and at one point bulimia, i was suicidal, i had severe depression, and I now have a permanent scar of the word 'worthless' because of him. He never once in 16 years made an effort to apologize or to see me and now he's telling people that "he's always wanted to see me but my mother discouraged it."

I'm so confused right now. This is what I've waited my whole life for, although my reasons have changed through the years. First because I wanted a dad and then because I wanted to tell him what a disgusting prick he is. Now I don't know what to do because I'm so torn. Part of me doesn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing me at all, another wants closure, and yet another wants to cut his balls off and tell him what a bastard he is.

I just really don't know what I should do and it seems like no one here seems to care that this is a huge deal in my life. Any advice?

From my personal experence with meeting the woman( my mothr) that walked away when I was 6 weeks old leaving behind a 3 year old , a 14 month old and me , with never a word or glance backwards. Then my borthers found her when I was 30 years old and damn if she didn't want to go on montel or some such with the mirical of our story,,, no there was no way us three grown 'children' was gonna give that woman any BS TV show to air our dirty laundry on,,

My advice would be ,yes ,you need to meet him not to 'give him a chance to be a daddy' or to' make up for the years' or even to allow him to 'tell his side' . Why ypu need to meet him is for you. For you to get a handel on this " it has to br something wrong with me that made him leav , 'If I was prettier or smarter or a boy ,or green or whatever you have allowed yourself to blame yourself for being the reason he left. What well come from you getting a face to face meeting and getting to know him in his reality ?Instead of your imagination , un certainty and confusion and lack of real knowledge that caused your depression . You will see first hand how fake his tears of "happiness" is and how bigus the regret of all the missed 'special' times are , Simply because you know in your heart that he knew where you were and keep in mind it took a court order before he came out of the wood work and then another 4years to start with the 'It wasn't my fault' and pointing fingers to lay blame on some where else. You don't need to hold your anger and hurt in so his feeligs don't get hurt. But you do need a person that has no personal investment in either side like a cousler or preacher , not a family member or friend , because when the time comes when you understand he needs to know why your angry ,why you feel confused etc.. if thier isn't a medator there it will just be making a bad situation worse. .. Keep in mind you are the innocent victim of the desisons the adults made v, you as a infant did nothing ,said nothing to cause them adults to do what was done . and it is not of any importance to you to hear who thinks who was more right or wrong, what id=s of up most importance to you is to realize you had no hand in the right or wrong of what happened 16 years ago. At this point all you need from him is the chance to have a first hand look into his reality ,of his desisions to not be a man and refuse the gift of your love as a daughter . He lost out on one of the most special gifts a man can be offered . The love of a daddy's girl. You did'nt loose anything ,because you can't loose what never was yours It's not like you walked away 16 years ago . He's the one that lost out.
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#19New Post! Nov 30, 2008 @ 19:42:15
@iwannano Said

From my personal experence with meeting the woman( my mothr) that walked away when I was 6 weeks old leaving behind a 3 year old , a 14 month old and me , with never a word or glance backwards. Then my borthers found her when I was 30 years old and damn if she didn't want to go on montel or some such with the mirical of our story,,, no there was no way us three grown 'children' was gonna give that woman any BS TV show to air our dirty laundry on,,

My advice would be ,yes ,you need to meet him not to 'give him a chance to be a daddy' or to' make up for the years' or even to allow him to 'tell his side' . Why ypu need to meet him is for you. For you to get a handel on this " it has to br something wrong with me that made him leav , 'If I was prettier or smarter or a boy ,or green or whatever you have allowed yourself to blame yourself for being the reason he left. What well come from you getting a face to face meeting and getting to know him in his reality ?Instead of your imagination , un certainty and confusion and lack of real knowledge that caused your depression . You will see first hand how fake his tears of "happiness" is and how bigus the regret of all the missed 'special' times are , Simply because you know in your heart that he knew where you were and keep in mind it took a court order before he came out of the wood work and then another 4years to start with the 'It wasn't my fault' and pointing fingers to lay blame on some where else. You don't need to hold your anger and hurt in so his feeligs don't get hurt. But you do need a person that has no personal investment in either side like a cousler or preacher , not a family member or friend , because when the time comes when you understand he needs to know why your angry ,why you feel confused etc.. if thier isn't a medator there it will just be making a bad situation worse. .. Keep in mind you are the innocent victim of the desisons the adults made v, you as a infant did nothing ,said nothing to cause them adults to do what was done . and it is not of any importance to you to hear who thinks who was more right or wrong, what id=s of up most importance to you is to realize you had no hand in the right or wrong of what happened 16 years ago. At this point all you need from him is the chance to have a first hand look into his reality ,of his desisions to not be a man and refuse the gift of your love as a daughter . He lost out on one of the most special gifts a man can be offered . The love of a daddy's girl. You did'nt loose anything ,because you can't loose what never was yours It's not like you walked away 16 years ago . He's the one that lost out.

Thats really insightful, I gave you the kudos.

One thing I did feel was relief, my mother never once bad mouthed my father but he had plenty to say about her...considering she stayed around and raised me and my sis...he left to go off with some tart he'd picked up and there were many women from what I can remember, he left me with plenty of them when I he used to pick me up for his 'visitation rights'.

Certainly keep an open mind if you do decide to meet him, their never quite what you remember and iwannano is right you cannot be held responsible for an adults decision.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#20New Post! Nov 30, 2008 @ 21:25:01
@hallucinogenic_lipstick Said

Thats really insightful, I gave you the kudos.

One thing I did feel was relief, my mother never once bad mouthed my father but he had plenty to say about her...considering she stayed around and raised me and my sis...he left to go off with some tart he'd picked up and there were many women from what I can remember, he left me with plenty of them when I he used to pick me up for his 'visitation rights'.

Certainly keep an open mind if you do decide to meet him, their never quite what you remember and iwannano is right you cannot be held responsible for an adults decision.

Yes, the parent that does the walking is the one that comes back doing the ugly talking, my dad had passed away a little over a year when my brothers found her and this is where I got the "in her/his reality " theroy . She wanted to go to the grave yard on one of her " makeing up for all the lost years " visits ,so to the grave yard we go ,She grew some tits/balls the size of king kongs and stood over my dads head stone and told him just what an a** wipe she thought he was and just told that damn stone off like she meant every word. When she first started cussing that head stone I was about to climb up on her like ugly on ape. but then it hit me, there had been 30 years that she had the chance to tell him all the words in the dictionary to his face but only had the tits to do it to his stone , she was pretty damn insulted when she got done took a deep breath and started telling me what a relief it was to 'get that off her chest' an all I could was laugh my a** off and walk over to tell that stone" And you make damn sure you tell my daddy each word just like she said it it " and smacked it to make sure we had that stones complete attention and was laughing so hard I almost pissed my pants,,, that showed me just which one of my parents was the real CHICKEN LIVRED cry baby sally . Thats what I mean when I say " his reality' and it will come though just give it time.
plaidmushroom On January 30, 2012

Deleted

Cape Coral, Florida
#21New Post! Dec 02, 2008 @ 03:10:16
@hope Said

what make you think that your dad doesn't wanna see you? you've already said that he decided to see you, and added that he wanted that but your mum discouraged it
i'm sorry to say that but you maybe judging him for unknown reason. i mean do you know exactly why he never saw you? since part of you wants to see him then go ahead and give a shot. i belive it won't hurt on the contrary it may be a good start with him that you never dreamt of.

What makes me think he doesn't want to see me? Nothing. He said he wanted to see me, now at least. I want to know why. It's not like he hasn't had the past 16 years to make the effort, so why now? The whole "my mother discouraged it" thing is only what HE supposedly said. According to everyone else he's never even said one word about me until now. He sees my brother all the time and he's never even asked how I was until now. I don't WANT a relationship with him whatsoever. The only reason I'm considering seeing him is for ME to feel better and to get rid of some of my baggage, not to make him feel better. There is nothing he can do to erase the past and there is nothing that would make me want to have him in my life long term.

Deleted

Cape Coral, Florida
#22New Post! Dec 02, 2008 @ 03:13:11
@iwannano Said

Thank you, and I know it's not my fault now. When I was younger though it was very hard to understand seeing as he accepted my brother but not me. In a way I have to thank him because without all of that happening I wouldn't be as strong as I am now.

Deleted

Cape Coral, Florida
#23New Post! Dec 02, 2008 @ 03:20:39
@mrman Said

A lot of people don't realize how blessed they are. I can't blame them because it's all they know so its hard to think of what life may be like for others, I've done it many times myself and I think everyone has. It used to upset me when my friends would complain about their fathers because it's something I never had. I've had a great life regardless of my trials and tribulations and I couldn't be more thankful. I never needed my father to make my life happy, I only thought I did.

Most adults DON'T think about the effect of their decisions on their children until its too late and the damage is done. Sometimes though, its what they feel will be best in the long run.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#24New Post! Dec 02, 2008 @ 03:50:18
@plaidmushroom Said

Thank you, and I know it's not my fault now. When I was younger though it was very hard to understand seeing as he accepted my brother but not me. In a way I have to thank him because without all of that happening I wouldn't be as strong as I am now.

I know what you mean when you say you blamed yourself when younger.
I blamed myself for 'cheating' my brothers out of a mom some how believeing as a 6 week old infant I had to of done something to make her leave. Who knows where kids come up with some of thier ideas
Just hold on to that strength you and the knowledge you have about who you are have when you come face to face with the person that caused you to be so strong because of his actions. When faced with the problems or people that have made our lifes hard we tend to get angry first and think later.
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#25New Post! Dec 04, 2008 @ 08:15:36
@plaidmushroom Said

My father has decided that after 16 years he wants to see me. We're talking about a guy who denied that I was even his kid for 12 years until he FINALLY took paternity test(which came back 99.99% positive)and that was only because it was court ordered for child support. I cried myself to sleep nearly every night for God only knows how long, I started skipping meals and dieting in the 4th grade because I thought if I was pretty he might love me, it progressed to anorexia and at one point bulimia, i was suicidal, i had severe depression, and I now have a permanent scar of the word 'worthless' because of him. He never once in 16 years made an effort to apologize or to see me and now he's telling people that "he's always wanted to see me but my mother discouraged it."

I'm so confused right now. This is what I've waited my whole life for, although my reasons have changed through the years. First because I wanted a dad and then because I wanted to tell him what a disgusting prick he is. Now I don't know what to do because I'm so torn. Part of me doesn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing me at all, another wants closure, and yet another wants to cut his balls off and tell him what a bastard he is.

I just really don't know what I should do and it seems like no one here seems to care that this is a huge deal in my life. Any advice?

I'm so sorry to hear about this rough time you have been through.
He has told 'people' - who? He should be talking to family who can support you at this time. This guy is an unknown entity to you. I completely understand your fears - and your anger.
The fact he wants to meet you is a positive. You may decide that you do want to meet him but not yet. Suit yourself - not him - when you finally meet. Take all the time you need.
You may want to ask him a lot of questions if you do meet him. You should start writing down what they are. They may be "where have you been?" "why are you such an arsehole?" "why did it take you so long"? All those questions are fair, and I would suspect he is prepared for all of them.
Also, he may be a very different guy to the one your mother describes. No disrespect to your mum, but if she doesn't like him, I'm sure she is biased in her views. He may have changed and matured over the years.
I'm sure that part of you is very very intrigued to meet this guy - and I wonder what your expectations are. I would suggest it would be best to have none of him at this stage. At best until you trust him, this guy is a friend - nothing more.
When you are ready - and calm (the balls-removing stuff can wait) meet him, but I wouldn't meet him alone. I think you should talk on the phone first, and have some family present when you do meet.
Just remember this guy is biologically your dad, but if he wants to be that in real-life, he has a lot of trust to earn from you. If you feel strong enough to meet him do so once - you will know whether he is someone you want in your life or not.
It could be the best thing that ever happened to you - and from what I've read, you deserve some good times. It may also be disappointing - he may not be the guy you hoped for/imagined. I would really like you to consider some counselling in terms of how you are going to handle this.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
PS: You are not worthless. I can see from your photo that you are a very attractive girl. You have your whole life ahead of you - your biological dad can either be part of that or not, it's up to you. Some of the advice in this thread is brilliant, espec from iwannano. please read iwannano's post also.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs