Pages: << · 1 2
el_diablo On December 19, 2008

Deleted

Maui, Hawaii
#16New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 06:12:41
IcyMist On February 17, 2010

Tampa, Florida
#17New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 13:44:34
I found this for you but please make sure that you follow the instructions in the bold and not take charcoal tablets.

Why do I seem to have so much gas now that I'm pregnant?
Everyone, pregnant or not, has some gas. The average person produces between 1 and 3 pints of gas each day and passes gas about 14 times a day. That said, you may experience even more gas than usual during pregnancy.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself belching like a champion beer drinker or having to unbutton your pants to relieve bloating weeks before you begin to show.

Why does this happen? The primary reason is that during pregnancy you have much higher levels of progesterone, a hormone that relaxes smooth muscle tissue throughout your body, including your gastrointestinal tract. This relaxation slows down your digestive processes, which can lead to gas, bloating, burping, and flatulence and generally create miserable sensations in your gut, especially after a big meal.

In later pregnancy, your growing uterus crowds your abdominal cavity, further slowing digestion, and pushes on your stomach, making you feel even more bloated after eating. During pregnancy, you may also start to experience heartburn or constipation, even if you've never been bothered by either one before.

Where does gas come from?
Gas gets caught in the digestive tract in two ways: when you swallow air and when bacteria in your colon (large intestine) break down undigested food. Most stomach gas results from swallowing air and is typically released by burping, though a small amount can continue down to the large intestine to be released as flatulence.

Most of the gas that causes flatulence is produced when bacteria in the large intestine break down food that was incompletely digested by enzymes in the stomach and small intestine. Certain carbohydrates are the main culprits. Protein and fat aren't major gas producers, although fats, because they slow down digestion, can contribute to a sense of bloating.

How does pregnancy figure in? Pregnancy slows digestion, which gives the bacteria more time to work on the undigested material before it's excreted. More time leads to more fermentation and, as a result, more gas.

Actually, anything that slows down bowel function can mean additional gas, so constipation can also make you feel more gassy and bloated.

Some people get a lot of gas from foods that don't bother others at all. For example, people who are lactose intolerant don't make enough lactase ? the enzyme that breaks down lactose (the sugar in dairy products) ? so they can get bloated and gassy if they have too much milk or ice cream. Individual variation in the balance of bacteria in the colon may also affect how much gas you make, according to some experts.

Can I get some relief by changing my diet?
The most effective way to reduce gas may be to cut back on the foods that are most likely to cause it. But if you eliminated everything that might cause gas, it would be hard to eat a balanced diet.

So start by cutting out the most common culprits, and if that gives you relief, begin adding those foods back into your diet one by one to try to pinpoint what's causing the problem for you. Keeping a food diary can help you see the relationship between eating certain foods and having more gas.

The foods most likely to cause gas are beans, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and asparagus. All contain the sugar raffinose, which causes gas for a lot of people. Other people have trouble with onions, pears, artichokes, and sodas and fruit drinks sweetened with fructose. Sodas and fruit drinks should be avoided anyway, as they are empty calories and the carbonation in sodas can contribute to bloating.

Certain starches ? such as pasta and potatoes, but not rice ? can cause gas for some people. And certain fiber-rich foods ? such as oat bran, beans, and many kinds of fruit ? cause gas because they're normally broken down in the large intestine.

One exception is wheat bran, which passes through your digestive system without getting broken down. This makes wheat bran a winner if you have constipation and need more fiber but also suffer from flatulence.

People who are lactose intolerant will find that dairy products give them gas. If you're highly lactose intolerant, you probably knew this before you got pregnant, since dairy may give you diarrhea and abdominal pain.

But if you're only somewhat intolerant and thus unaware of the effect dairy has on you, a dramatic boost in your consumption of dairy products during pregnancy may cause you some distress. To avoid this problem, look for lactose-free milk or calcium-fortified soy milk in your supermarket. If you aren't drinking any kind of milk, you'll probably need to take a calcium supplement.

Finally, try to steer clear of very fatty and fried foods. They don't cause gas, but they slow down digestion, leaving you feeling bloated.

What else can I do to get relief?
These suggestions may lessen the frequency and severity of your symptoms:

? Don't eat big meals. Instead, eat several small meals throughout the day.

? Take your time and chew thoroughly. Don't talk while you're eating.

? Limit how much you drink during meals. You can make up for it during the rest of the day.

? Drink from a cup or glass ? not from a bottle or through a straw ? and don't gulp your beverages.

? Avoid carbonated drinks.

? Sit up while you're eating or drinking, even if you're just having a small snack.

? Wear loose, comfortable clothing, and avoid any tightness around your waist and tummy.

? Don't chew gum or suck on hard candies.

? Avoid anything sweetened with Sorbitol, an artificial sweetener.

? Exercise ? even a brisk walk can help your sluggish digestive tract.

? Take care of constipation, as it can add to flatulence and a feeling of abdominal bloating.

? Don't smoke ? in addition to contributing to a host of serious health problems, it also boosts stomach acidity. (Ideally, this is a habit you should break before getting pregnant. If you're still smoking and having trouble quitting, ask your caregiver for a referral to a smoking-cessation program.)

? Consider practicing yoga or a similar discipline to learn relaxation and good breathing techniques. Some people who are prone to hyperventilating tend to swallow more air when they're excited or anxious.

? If these relief measures don't help, ask your practitioner if you can take an over-the-counter gas remedy that contains simethicone. (Don't take activated charcoal tablets, because they aren't safe during pregnancy.)

Can gas pain ever be a sign that something is wrong?
Call your practitioner if your gas discomfort ever feels more like abdominal pain or cramping or is accompanied by blood in your stool, severe diarrhea, constipation, or an increase in ? or a new bout of ? nausea and vomiting.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#18New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 16:56:53
Quote:
? Avoid anything sweetened with Sorbitol, an artificial sweetener.

Sorbitol may as well be ex lax
keljay98 On February 07, 2009

stoke on trent, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Nov 21, 2008 @ 21:32:33
@lets_see Said

do you have any problems with this? if so, what seems to set it off? the reason I ask is, being pregnant I seem to have it all the time! that's right! im admitting it, I dealt it! what are some things I should avoid? and what should I do when I do get gas? what will help it go away?

Try to eat regulary, avoid coffee and fizzy pop. I get trapped wind almost every day!!!
lets_see On May 17, 2009

Deleted

Alabama,
#20New Post! Nov 21, 2008 @ 22:00:38
I don't drink soda really. if anything its ginger ale for nausea or sprite. I eat pretty normally, and haven't had any weird cravings really. like I said, I know its hormones and im not sure what will help lol. ill try what you've suggested!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs