School

Speech due tomorrow.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mandi_x_massacre On June 27, 2009

Deleted

Norris City, Illinois
#1New Post! Sep 04, 2008 @ 20:35:08
I have a speech due tomorrow on the Transcontinental Railroad and what it was like for the workers..

Did you know about this railroad? I didn't until the other day lol.

But anyways I'm writing a speech for it, yay!

Bored. And Grounded hah :]

Anyone have any info on this damn railroad? lol
skottie On September 23, 2009

Deleted

, Texas
#2New Post! Sep 04, 2008 @ 20:40:19
good luck with your speech.

why are you grounded?
mandi_x_massacre On June 27, 2009

Deleted

Norris City, Illinois
#3New Post! Sep 04, 2008 @ 20:45:07
@skottie Said
good luck with your speech.

why are you grounded?

Ugh just my stupidity, we'll leave it at that.
I've been locked up in my bedroom just playing video games.
Fun fun.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#4New Post! Sep 04, 2008 @ 20:52:51
@mandi_x_massacre Said
I have a speech due tomorrow on the Transcontinental Railroad and what it was like for the workers..

It was hard on the workers to catch a train to bring them to their work locations, as they moved west. They always had to lay the track down first, then hike all the way back to the last station, and wait....
moonlighthopes On May 30, 2015

, Canada
#5New Post! Sep 04, 2008 @ 21:20:28
www.wikipedia.org Not trying to be a smart a** either. But it might help!
britneylulu On October 04, 2008

Deleted

Anaheim,
#6New Post! Sep 04, 2008 @ 23:17:26
@mandi_x_massacre Said

Which continent? If it's North America, the first so called Transcontinental Railroad began in the 1830's when Pennsylvania decided to build a railroad from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh because they wanted goods to land at Philadelphia rather than at New York, where the Erie Canal could carry goods west. By the beginning of the Civil War, people could travel from New York to Council Bluffs, Iowa by rail, but we're not sure how many times passengers might have had to change railroads along the way.

The rails extended passed Chicago in the 1850's when Stephen Douglas, the Senator from Illinois, managed to get the Congress to fund land grant railroads. He did it because he knew that having railroads from Chicago to other points in the nation would increase land values in Chicago, where he owned land. The first land grant railroad was the Illinois Central Railroad.

In the early 1860's Congress passed a law that lead to the building of the Central Pacific Railroad from Sacramento, California to Salt Lake City, Utah; and to the building of the Union Pacific Railroad from Omaha, Nebraska (across the Missouri River from Council Bluffs) to Salt Lake. Sometime in 1869, passengers could travel by rail form New York State to Sacramento. Later in the nineteenth century the invention of electric motors made electric trains possible, so that trains could travel in tunnels under the Hudson River. In 1939, rail service across the Oakland Bay Bridge began, so after about 100 years of construction, people could travel from the sea, passed the fruited plains, passed the purple mountains, wave at Muhammud climbing Pikes Peak, to the shining sea, by rail.
richreality On July 08, 2010

, Pennsylvania
#7New Post! Sep 04, 2008 @ 23:22:00
OK time to quit the gamin and get the grade !! Yeesh, you would think someone was trying to make you intelligent about something......
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs