The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Technology & Internet

Mini Laptops in rich western countries?????

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
pq On December 03, 2011

Deleted

Gainesville, Florida
#16New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 18:12:15
This is the digital tech age. Our world is governed by electronics. (I realized that every quickly when I traveled to a place that barely had paper and pencil let alone a computer.) Not using/having a computer puts you at a great disadvantage. Having access to a computer speeds up the process needed to write a paper, do research, email whomever, etc.

In college, my mom use to marvel at how quickly I could get all the things I needed done with the simple orchestration of the keys on my laptop. She went to college in the age of typewriters. She had to load up paper and then make sure she had tape, her margins needed to be straight, had correct spelling and grammar, and had the perfect spacing between every word and paragraph. If not, she would have to start all over. And we're not even going to go into doing research for a given subject. That would requires weeks in a library.

Now that I think about it... computers might be the dumbing down of society to an extent. Some people depend on computers so much that they might not find it necessary to really do math on their own because a computer will do it, or memorize spelling and grammar because a computer will put a green or red line under their messups, libraries are undervalued because of Google...

Really what area is there that a computer doesn't have presence in? ... 1984.
witonix On November 10, 2008

, Australia
#17New Post! Aug 30, 2008 @ 06:47:46
@pq Said
This is the digital tech age. Our world is governed by electronics. (I realized that every quickly when I traveled to a place that barely had paper and pencil let alone a computer.) Not using/having a computer puts you at a great disadvantage. Having access to a computer speeds up the process needed to write a paper, do research, email whomever, etc.

In college, my mom use to marvel at how quickly I could get all the things I needed done with the simple orchestration of the keys on my laptop. She went to college in the age of typewriters. She had to load up paper and then make sure she had tape, her margins needed to be straight, had correct spelling and grammar, and had the perfect spacing between every word and paragraph. If not, she would have to start all over. And we're not even going to go into doing research for a given subject. That would requires weeks in a library.

Now that I think about it... computers might be the dumbing down of society to an extent. Some people depend on computers so much that they might not find it necessary to really do math on their own because a computer will do it, or memorize spelling and grammar because a computer will put a green or red line under their messups, libraries are undervalued because of Google...

Really what area is there that a computer doesn't have presence in? ... 1984.

just because we get the information from a computer rather our heads doesent mean we are getting dumber, as a whole we are getting smarter because of the internet
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#18New Post! Aug 30, 2008 @ 07:02:46
Doing a web design course, I think a laptop is extremely helpful, even essential.
And I'm middle class.

So
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs