Homes & Real Estate

anyone else building their own house???

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
roseandbarry On March 20, 2008

, Ireland
#1New Post! Mar 17, 2008 @ 19:08:43
anyone else building their own house??? how are ye getting on???

just have our roof on, waiting on doors and windows - can't wait woo hoo!!!
gideon1451 On July 20, 2020

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 17, 2008 @ 20:13:08
Cool, when I consider getting a home of my own, I'm probably going to design/build it myself. That way you can really get exactly what you want. I want to be an architect anyway
roseandbarry On March 20, 2008

, Ireland
#3New Post! Mar 17, 2008 @ 21:12:04
ya, it's exciting designing it yourself alright - the building is a different story though!!!

major headache phoning workers, getting quotes, keeping on top of things - but sure we'll get there eventually!!!
dianakate On April 03, 2008

, Georgia
#4New Post! Mar 25, 2008 @ 16:30:00
if you haven't decided on a fireplace mantel please check us out!! www.rcfurniture.net
bettyboo On November 19, 2010

, Australia
#5New Post! Apr 04, 2008 @ 15:39:35
hi ya its all fun and games we built our own house whilst we lived with the kids in the shed took us over two years before we lived in it it's still not finished but its all ours we never used contractors did all the work ourselves apart from electrical that was fun mind i learnt skills i never thought i would
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 04, 2008 @ 15:44:34
I would love to design my own house. I know someobody who could do every job - screeder, chippy, carpenter, tiler, bricky etc etc.

I think my problem would be where abouts to build it.

You should post some pics of the finished thing when its all complete
golfingbug On April 21, 2008

Bluffton, South Carolina
#7New Post! Apr 07, 2008 @ 19:17:52
My wife and I are working on our second home right now. in the design stage, that is the best part.

I do love seeing the home come out of the ground, but keeping on top of the subs everyday does ware me out. It truly is the only way to get exactly what you want.

good luck!
paperladee On April 14, 2008

#8New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 17:34:45
For old folks, I think we did a bang-up job on our house. We contracted the outside. Steel framing, steel roof, steel outside walls. We did all of inside work except Sheetrock and cabinets. We did all plumbing, wiring, laid hardwood flooring, carpet (Wish we had done all hardwood except bathrooms). Love the hardwood in kitchen that was a suggestion of sister-in-law. Cut, routed and stained all window frames, baseboards, door frames and chair rail. Hubby first laid all tile (not ceramic) in bathrooms and did a horrible job. I relaid it and did much better job (he's good, just not at tile). There are a few things I'd do differently, but nothing major.
We worked different shifts (I worked a day job and him a night job). We lived in a camper on property with our dog. I came in one afternoon and was supposed to repaint living room wall that compressor had exploded oil onto. He had "Kilzed" it that morning. It was dark and he had reminded me to wash out the roller very well and make sure it was relatively dry before repainting. The ceiling in the room is 14 ft. I did wash the roller, shook it, etc., and came inside to start painting that section. I rolled the paint onto the wall and then saw water running down the wall. I almost cried. I was so tired. As we neared completion of house (8 months' worth), it was early January. The heater in the camper quit and I was trying to stay warm by the gas burners of the stove. I heard the heat pump warming the house. I called a friend who came down and helped me move a mattress into the house, called hubby at work and told him we had moved in. Praise the Lord we finished it and have had nine years of life in what is truly our house.
multicoloredlady On February 10, 2010

, United States (general)
#9New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 21:14:44
We're having our home built. It was started in February, and we hope to be in it before September. They are supposed to be insulating today, and have been working on the outside finish, the Dryvit, for a couple of weeks.

It's a European style home, 1 floor.
kalee On January 08, 2010

nowhereville,
#10New Post! Apr 17, 2008 @ 23:22:11
I moved into my house last October, Dh is a builder/contractor.I drew everything where I wanted it, dh put what he wanted in it and then he built it. I love it. It is just what we wanted. It looks like an farmhouse with a wrap around porch. Dh added a deck in the back of the house, that comes off the porch. It took a while to build, because dh was building 2 other houses at the same time. I even have a balcony off my bedroom/suite. It is our dream house, I wouldnt do it any other way. Dh did most of the work himself with friends, and I helped with the painting and staining the woodwork. Make sure you make a list of what is most important for you in your house, then make sure those things get done.
I have a marble bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and a marble shower. My closet is 12' by 12' and my bedroom has a huge family room with a couch and chaise in it. I also have a marble foyer, tile in the kitchen and office, Hardwood in the living room and dining room, and carpet in the bedrooms. We have radiant heat which is so warm. Building it yourself is the way to go, you can do so much of the work yourself, which means you can afford to get all the bells and whistles!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#11New Post! Apr 22, 2008 @ 13:12:50
We have been re-building a rock house that my great grandfather built in 1911 when he homestead
, it is a bi level 2 room house the top walls are 24 ins. thick and the lower walls are 18 ins. thick, the top room was still standing and only needed roof windows and doors, the lower room had partially fallen down, about half of the walls were still standing . We are now adding 2 more rooms but they are frame walls,,
rule of thumb when working with rock,,haul up 3 times what you figure you will need , and it will take 3 times that to finish the job
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#12New Post! Jul 14, 2008 @ 06:50:46
If i built a house, i guarantee it would burn down or fall apart within a year
xfoxyladyx On July 18, 2008

Deleted

, Canada
#13New Post! Jul 14, 2008 @ 06:56:51
I can try, but where would I start? I'm not very good at that type of work.
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#14New Post! Jul 14, 2008 @ 07:09:08
I could help a contractor build a house, if they give me direction
minnoo On June 20, 2009

Nashville, Tennessee
#15New Post! Jun 16, 2009 @ 15:56:13
my 2 cousins built theirs
anyone need more $ to build ?

how + wher can i tell ya all about getting $ with our team ?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs