AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...7 8 9
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#121New Post! Oct 31, 2007 @ 19:17:01
@buffalobill90 Said
So, like theism, atheism requires unfounded certainty, which is essentially a definition of faith.

Atheists reject theism.

They don't reject faith.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#122New Post! Oct 31, 2007 @ 19:17:42
This is not a discussion on terms, grammar and wording. Or rather, it is... and it shouldn't be.

My request still stands: could any religious adherent who stumbles across this thread please provide reliable evidence to support their particular belief system.
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#123New Post! Oct 31, 2007 @ 19:19:59
@buffalobill90 Said
Of course... and that difference is the difference between agnosticism and atheism. There is no conclusive evidence on which to reject theism, and arguably it is impossible to do so. So, like theism, atheism requires unfounded certainty, which is essentially a definition of faith.

I dunno. As an atheist I can say that I live my life assuming that he doesn't exist but I can't be certain that he doesn't exist. That's just how I interpreted the evidence. Most athiests I know feel the same. Agnostics haven't made a decision either way. They don't follow religion but they don't say that it's wrong either. They abstaiin.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#124New Post! Oct 31, 2007 @ 19:32:20
@buffalobill90 Said
This is not a discussion on terms, grammar and wording. Or rather, it is... and it shouldn't be.

You're the one who keeps trying to incorrectly define the words atheist and agnostic. If you don't want it to be about the definitions of words.... don't use them
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#125New Post! Oct 31, 2007 @ 19:38:34
@crazychica Said
I dunno. As an atheist I can say that I live my life assuming that he doesn't exist but I can't be certain that he doesn't exist. That's just how I interpreted the evidence. Most athiests I know feel the same. Agnostics haven't made a decision either way. They don't follow religion but they don't say that it's wrong either. They abstaiin.

To conclude this grammatical disagreement, since it is getting off subject, agnosticism literally means 'not knowing'. I classify my self as an agnostic, since I do not know the nature of God's existence, nor does anyone. There is no conclusive evidence on the subject. If atheism literally means 'not theism', then agnosticism falls into the decidedly broad category of atheism. But if an atheist is considered to be a person who believes with certainty that God does not exist, then that means atheism is an unfounded belief, like theism. If they do not belive with certainty, then they do not know - they are agnostic.
shadowy On March 20, 2014

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#126New Post! Nov 02, 2007 @ 01:02:14
Actually agnosticism can fall under athiestic and theistic. There are different types of agnostic.
dumdedum On July 07, 2009

-, United Kingdom
#127New Post! Nov 03, 2007 @ 16:41:39
@buffalobill90 Said
I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic. Atheism requires certainty on a concept which has no conclusive evidence; in other words, faith. Although atheistic arguments against religion are often very logical and scientific, there is no proof that God does not exist, nor can there be - God is a metaphysical concept by definition.

I certainly give "two rats" about religion and belief, since they have a massive influence on people's lives. They have done for thousands of years, and I am fortunate enough to have been born in the interesting times when religion has begun to lose that influence.

I do agree religion is a private matter which is why I get annoyed sometimes by these threads. Most of the religious people I know DONT ram is down peoples throats. I don;t. I don;t expect you to do the same.
You know what else is metaphysical though? Defence mechanisms, emotions, faith itself is metaphysical. It's just one of those things you will never be able to prove. The simple asnwer to this thread is that you cannot and never will be able to prove for certain a religion is correct becasue the evidence cannot be directly observed, it is not replicable and you can not run experiments on it.