Forums:
Random

Middle child syndrome?!?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 29, 2007 @ 10:39:40
I stayed at a mates on Friday night, and while we were both chatting in a drunken state we realised we were both middle children.

Mike has a older and younger brother and I have an older and younger sister. He was saying that he had watched this documentary about middle child syndrome, and by asking questions such as "how do you feel about your staus in your family" etc they were able to tell out of 20 people (5 middle, 5 older, 5 younger and 5 only children) exactly who were the middle children by their answers.

I am just wondering if any of you are middle children, and do you believe to be at an unfair disadvantage compared to your siblings? Perhaps you dont, if so why do you think this doesnt apply to you and your bros ans sisters? Im just curious to know how others feel about this.

Cheers guys
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#2New Post! Jan 29, 2007 @ 10:41:26
My middle brother is a teacher has a masters in History.... But is useless and cant seem to do anything.. he still lives at home and he hasnt a clue on how to live..
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#3New Post! Jan 29, 2007 @ 10:43:15
Im the middle child. I have 2 older brothers and 2 younger brothers.

ummm I don't really notice anything different or anything
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 29, 2007 @ 10:47:09
Huh ok. See I have always felt abit at a disadvantage. Like my older sister can do no wrong, and my younger sister too. Sometimes I feel like I have alot of pressure.

Its like the oldest sets the examples and the younger one gets an easy ride this may just be me, although mike agrees with me.
siegerstar On July 17, 2009

Calgary, Canada
#5New Post! Jan 29, 2007 @ 10:48:03
I think that the unfair treatment doesnt apply to all it depends with the parents...
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#6New Post! Jan 29, 2007 @ 10:49:49
@treacle Said

Its like the oldest sets the examples and the younger one gets an easy ride this may just be me, although mike agrees with me.

ah ok. Yeah I have noticed that. The youngest of us gets away with everything. Never really has to do anything, is still the baby. Its like all the ground rules that were imposed on us the older ones are lessened and slackened with each child. My younger brothers are allowed to do stuff that my oldest brother was never allowed to do.
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#7New Post! Jan 29, 2007 @ 10:53:43
@garfunkel Said
Im the middle child. I have 2 older brothers and 2 younger brothers.

ummm I don't really notice anything different or anything

Of course you don't...you wouldn't know any different.

They're such small differences that will seem almost like your own personality...but they're actually traits you've picked up by being in that position...I watched a similar show over here.
For example, the older children seem to be more responsible, or have better leadership skills.
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jan 29, 2007 @ 11:02:42
@young_nick Said
Of course you don't...you wouldn't know any different.

They're such small differences that will seem almost like your own personality...but they're actually traits you've picked up by being in that position...I watched a similar show over here.
For example, the older children seem to be more responsible, or have better leadership skills.

So you do think that there is something like that? I believe it to be true. Perhaps we dont all know it, because as garf said its all weve ever known. I just find it wierd that alot of people feel like this about being the middle sibling.
steveuk On May 15, 2012

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 29, 2007 @ 11:06:01
Only two of us - I am older than my sister.

Always used to be great fun when she brought home the 'new boyfriend'
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#10New Post! Jan 29, 2007 @ 11:06:27
@treacle Said
So you do think that there is something like that? I believe it to be true. Perhaps we dont all know it, because as garf said its all weve ever known. I just find it wierd that alot of people feel like this about being the middle sibling.

Yeah, it's different for all of the ages really...although on the show I watched their questioning wasn't fully accurate...they were trying to work out how many siblings and their sexes and their relevant age level...and it just didn't work that well...
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 29, 2007 @ 11:10:09
@young_nick Said
Yeah, it's different for all of the ages really...although on the show I watched their questioning wasn't fully accurate...they were trying to work out how many siblings and their sexes and their relevant age level...and it just didn't work that well...

Sounds interesting. I was speaking to father about it last night and he told me that it is recognised, for middle children to feel something along these lines.

Wish I had watched it now
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs