The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Health & Fitness

Back Surgery

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
burnham1968 On January 12, 2005

#1New Post! Jan 12, 2005 @ 14:53:51

Can anyone tell me about how they did after a spinal fusion, I am getting mine done next Thursday, and I am very scared. I don't quite know what to expect, even though it has been explained to me, I still have been told it may not work, that I may come out with the same pain, only worse, yet I have to take the chance as I have been in bed rest for 4 monthes now, due to my back...
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#2New Post! Jan 12, 2005 @ 17:32:07
Wow. I don't have any idea about that. What do the doctors say? Anyway, I hope it all goes well.
earz On March 12, 2017

ask me, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 13, 2005 @ 20:34:30
yeah have fun wi that... hope your alright
jfw5dc On January 21, 2005

#4New Post! Jan 21, 2005 @ 19:05:02
the studies show that about 50 % of back surgeries fail.
This means that you will have the same pain or the pain is worse one year after the surgery.

When I had back pain, I went to the chiropractor and it worked wonders and I know several people who tried the conservative route with chiropractic care first and did not have to have the suregery. Every case if different though and you must be very severe.

Where is the pain at?

I wish you all the best

JW
pixelaubrey On December 19, 2008

Deleted

, Oregon
#5New Post! Jan 21, 2005 @ 23:27:05
Are you the same bloke who was testing out FOOT DETOX?
becki7 On July 28, 2006

Australia
#6New Post! Jan 23, 2005 @ 06:22:51
G'day Burnham1968 I would personally go and get some advice from a few other doctors just to make sure that is the only other outlet. Have you tried any other options like Chiropracter or any kind of natural rememdies? Because once they start there's no turning back. So good luck and I hope everything goes alright for you.
Becki
kohhrjacker On May 30, 2022

Kohhrgypt, New Zealand
#7New Post! Jan 25, 2005 @ 17:40:40
50%? Woa.
boys4pele On November 11, 2009

Meridian, Mississippi
#8New Post! Jan 30, 2005 @ 08:15:36
Hope all will come out great... and you will be healthy.
slmslm On March 08, 2005

United States
#9New Post! Mar 08, 2005 @ 11:52:50
Spinal fusion usually means pelvis tilted or rotated, that's why 50% fail because they aren't treating the problem and if the pressure from the tilt or twist is great chances are the fusion won't hold. Chiropractors only give about 10 minutes releif for the chronic cases so don't waste your money and if the nerve is vunerable they will probably make you a lot worse. There is a great book they give away on the net called The Bad Back Book that explains all about these things in much detail and reading it will open your eyes to the facts. Anyway it's free so worth a look. 8)
pinksparklystars On October 08, 2015

Austin, Texas
#10New Post! Mar 08, 2005 @ 19:24:04
i hope everything goes ok <good luck>
pinkdiva On July 20, 2005

Manchester, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Mar 18, 2005 @ 19:30:48
Hey i have a back problem but i had to have a lanictemy/disectimy and decompression where they removed my disc and nerve. i was in bed rest but i couldn't feel my leg so they did my op within a few days and i had no option as i would have been paralysed if i didn't have it done. about the spinal fusion they wouldn't let me do it and as far as i know i think the doctors in the uk aren't allowed to do that anymore.
isn't there something else you could try and is it a disc that is out of place or something or does it just hurt. hope you get better as i feel for you and know how bad back pain can get.
nolamite On February 04, 2006

, California
#12New Post! Apr 03, 2005 @ 23:30:37
@slmslm Said
Spinal fusion usually means pelvis tilted or rotated, that's why 50% fail because they aren't treating the problem and if the pressure from the tilt or twist is great chances are the fusion won't hold. Chiropractors only give about 10 minutes releif for the chronic cases so don't waste your money and if the nerve is vunerable they will probably make you a lot worse. There is a great book they give away on the net called The Bad Back Book that explains all about these things in much detail and reading it will open your eyes to the facts. Anyway it's free so worth a look.

Wow, almost everything you said is completely false.

Anyway, spinal fusions are a dangerous procedure and greatly reduce the patients quality of live by decreasing their range of motion. Chiropractic would be the best to try before anything else. You should always explore the least invasive methods of care before surgery.

Chiropractic requires a lot of skill acquired through lots of practice and experience. Not all Chiropractors/Chiropractic students put in the necessary time to hone their skills, so some are much better than others. The road of less resistance is more attractive to some people, and apparently they would rather be mediocre and lazy than put in the hard work necessary to become the best they possibly can.

Look for a Gonstead Chiropractor; use the referral directory on https://www.GonsteadSeminar.com and https://www.Gonstead.com to find a skilled Chiropractor in your area.
freud On February 03, 2006

, Pennsylvania
#13New Post! Apr 12, 2005 @ 03:42:54
Are you getting a spinal fusion for scoliosis? If so, all should go well with it, as long as your doctors know what they're doing. The pain that you have now will be the same if not worse afterwards, but then after a few months you will see that you'll be feeling much better. And the idea that it limits your range of motion isn't true. You will be limited to a few things that you normally should be able to do, but after 1 year the fusion is completely set so you can go back to doing basically whatever you want. I had my first one when I was 12 (3 rods were placed in because the curvatures were so bad). I had to get a piece removed a few years ago, but no huge deal. I'm feeling a lot better than I did before I had it done. That kind of back pain can be excruciating. And also going the chiropratic route isn't necessarily going to do anything, depending on the degree of curvature. If you're at the point where surgery is needed, no amount of chiropratic therapy is going to remedy that. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. If you are feeling uneasy about your doc's thoughts, a second opinion wouldn't hurt. Surgery is usually done when the degree of curvature is 40 degrees or higher. I wore a brace before my surgery as a method of control, but it obviously didn't work so I ended up with a top curve of 75 degrees and a bottom curve of 40 degrees.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs