"Lorax" Earthday school indoctrination for environmentalist's chil

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#31New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 06:51:18
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Kids aren't reading this propaganda by the millions like they're watching it., and it's apparently a lot worse than the Rachael Carson wannabe book.

Dude, it's Dr. Seuss.

He was simply creating a fable to illustrate a moral lesson - in this case of not helping to destroy our environment with greed.

Surely you can agree with this basic virtue and not get all hyper-political about it?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#32New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 06:52:18
@ThePainefulTruth Said

You expected the differences I enumerated? If so, the book was an ambush as well.

Well, the basic lesson is the same, but I knew Hollywood would add a lot of flair and plot, especially for a Dr. Seuss book.

So yes.
Idunno On April 23, 2012

Aurora Borealis, Alaska
#33New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 06:54:50
@Grasshopper Said

I speak for the trees!

for the trees have no tongues,
And I'm asking you sir at the top of my lungs,
(he was very upset, as he shouted and puffed)
What's that THING you've made out of my Truffula tuft?

View Image
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#34New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 07:16:06
@Leon Said

Dude, it's Dr. Seuss.

Who doesn't seem to realize that trees are a very renewable resource, that capitalism is a good thing (don't know if he addressed it in the book), and he's literally preaching Silent Spring to 7 year olds.

Quote:
He was simply creating a fable to illustrate a moral lesson - in this case of not helping to destroy our environment with greed.

What, by teaching that trees aren't a manageable crop, or that it's safe to assume that businessmen are greedy and evil? That's essentially what you just said.

Quote:
Surely you can agree with this basic virtue and not get all hyper-political about it?

What, the basic virtues you just mentioned?

@Leon Said

Well, the basic lesson is the same, but I knew Hollywood would add a lot of flair and plot, especially for a Dr. Seuss book.

So yes.

Again, all those differences I mentioned were nothing but flair and plot.

@Idunno Said

for the trees have no tongues,
And I'm asking you sir at the top of my lungs,
(he was very upset, as he shouted and puffed)
What's that THING you've made out of my Truffula tuft?

Well thanks for the quote from the book anyway.

Where does the phrase "tree huger" come from? Sentimental pap like this. The movie and apparently the book leave no doubt, chopping down trees is bad. End of story at least for 7 year olds, an apparently for a lot of adults who must have been sucked in by this back when they were 7.

And there was almost no poetry or rhyming in the book which is a trademark of Dr. Seuss. Of all his books, how did this one hide in the weeds all these years. I've got a couple dozen of them on my shelves, but none of them are like this.

This is as bad as the "Rainbow Fish". People get sucked in when they're young and aren't able to question it after so many years.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#35New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 07:20:57
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Who doesn't seem to realize that trees are a very renewable resource, that capitalism is a good thing (don't know if he addressed it in the book), and he's literally preaching Silent Spring to 7 year olds.

What, by teaching that trees aren't a manageable crop, or that it's safe to assume that businessmen are greedy and evil? That's essentially what you just said.

What, the basic virtues you just mentioned?

Again, all those differences I mentioned were nothing but flair and plot.

Well thanks for the quote from the book anyway.

Where does the phrase "tree huger" come from? Sentimental pap like this. The movie and apparently the book leave no doubt, chopping down trees is bad. End of story at least for 7 year olds, an apparently for a lot of adults who must have been sucked in by this back when they were 7.

And there was almost no poetry or rhyming in the book which is a trademark of Dr. Seuss. Of all his books, how did this one hide in the weeds all these years. I've got a couple dozen of them on my shelves, but none of them are like this.

This is as bad as the "Rainbow Fish". People get sucked in when they're young and aren't able to question it after so many years.

Dr. Seuss was not saying that chopping down trees is bad. The fable has the antagonist chopping down ALL trees, rather than tempermenting his greed. THIS is the lesson. Not that moderating environment vs. business or that all businesses are bad.

I am sorry you don't see the moral here. Kids do. And, no it wasn't from a brainwashing, as you wish to see it, or anything even remotely similar to anything within the liberalist thought train, is.
Idunno On April 23, 2012

Aurora Borealis, Alaska
#36New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 07:20:58
Maybe the movie never rhymed, but the book did. That's Hollywood for you, always taking liberties.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#37New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 07:22:01
@Idunno Said

Maybe the movie never rhymed, but the book did. That's Hollywood for you, always taking liberties.

It didn't much actually, much to my chagrin.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#38New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 11:30:01
@ThePainefulTruth Said

The objective of indoctrination.

Yes, but recycling and protecting the environment are what the capitalists want as well--despite what movies such as this would like us to believe. The movie portrayed the bad guy "capitalist" as wanting dirtier air so he could sell more of his. That's crap to be feeding to 7 year-olds.

Of course not, they're kids, watching a movie, which for them is even a more a relevant Truth than what their parents tell them.

And this is different from propaganda how?

The trailer that I saw, and that I'm sure most people say, didn't. It only takes one example.

It doesn't matter what was published in 1971 so much as what the indoctrination put out this weekend.

Yes, I was concerned about such prejudice, but since I neither desired to nor attempted any such molestation, what do you want me to say? That I'm wrong? No way. The proof of your self-serving accusation is on you, as well as the refutation of my accusations of pedophelic indoctrination.

Ahhhh....you're the guy is is paranoid and obsessed with some politician(?) that has 'spies' in this and other forums, apparently some of us members are these spies and we have some sort of agenda. Now I remember.

Yeah, that's why I can't take anything you say/type seriously.

In my best John Pinett voice: "It's a MOOVIE!" So what if it pertains to saving the environment? Even after I read the book and saw the original movie, I didn't jump up, while placing hands on hips and shout: "I must save the planet from the autocracies of mankind!! UP, UP, and AWAY!!!" It's a frickin' movie.

@boxerdc Said

He's actually quite a bit older than 49.. if that makes it even creepier..

[smile]https://i.tfster.com/cache/i.tfster.com/cache/i.tfster.com/cache/i.tfster.com/cache/www.smileyhut.com/confused/dribble2.gif">
That is does. *shivers*

Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#39New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 15:05:28
@Leon Said

Dr. Seuss was not saying that chopping down trees is bad. The fable has the antagonist chopping down ALL trees, rather than tempermenting his greed. THIS is the lesson. Not that moderating environment vs. business or that all businesses are bad.

I am sorry you don't see the moral here. Kids do. And, no it wasn't from a brainwashing, as you wish to see it, or anything even remotely similar to anything within the liberalist thought train, is.

But that's exactly what they did, in the movie. The Lorax exploded out of the stump of the tree he first cut down. You'd think he cut down the Tree of Souls in Avatar or something. There were no half measures in this at all.

@Idunno Said

I think it was laziness in this case. All Dr. Seuss has rhymed in the past, even "How the Grench Stole Christmas". This is the only Dr. Seuss I've ever not enjoyed, much less this tripe.

@Dark_Tink Said

Ahhhh....you're the guy is is paranoid and obsessed with some politician(?) that has 'spies' in this and other forums, apparently some of us members are these spies and we have some sort of agenda. Now I remember.

Yeah, that's why I can't take anything you say/type seriously.

You mean why YOU can't take what I say seriously. And he isn't a politician, he's an evil capitalist.

Quote:
In my best John Pinett voice: "It's a MOOVIE!"

Yeah, Birth of a Nation and Triumph of Will were only movies. Movies were used by both Hitler and Mao (among many others) to indoctrinate their youth. You don't see the parallel because you have regular communion with the Earth mother/goddess, taking the sacrament of tripe and Kool-Aide.

Quote:
So what if it pertains to saving the environment? Even after I read the book and saw the original movie, I didn't jump up, while placing hands on hips and shout: "I must save the planet from the autocracies of mankind!! UP, UP, and AWAY!!!" It's a frickin' movie.

Apparently those were different than this hyper-green version--to which Dr. Seuss appended his name nonetheless.

Speak of the Devil and his angels shall appear:
Quote:
Quote:
"He's actually quite a bit older than 49.. if that makes it even creepier..

That is does. *shivers*

He's got no idea how old I am, and what does it matter anyway, the Truth is the Truth. The Lorax speaks for the trees, I speak for the aged, for whom you've just shown contempt and prejudice.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#40New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 15:11:24
@ThePainefulTruth Said

He's got no idea how old I am, and what does it matter anyway, the Truth is the Truth. The Lorax speaks for the trees, I speak for the aged, for whom you've just shown contempt and prejudice.

I know that you're much older than 49, because you've told me so..

So, I guess, based on that one fact, we can all agree that thepainfultruth lies.

And it's creepy for an old guy to go to a kids movie alone.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#41New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 17:22:42
@boxerdc Said

I know that you're much older than 49, because you've told me so..

So, I guess, based on that one fact, we can all agree that thepainfultruth lies.

And it's creepy for an old guy to go to a kids movie alone.

Only think I've said was I didn't use my real birthday. Deal with it.

And if you want creepy, it's Your Limpness with that avatar and you daydreaming they're in your sand box. Think outside the box, think dink.....and shriveled.....and able to cut the mustard....in your dreams.
lefty On July 19, 2018
AKA: friendlybear

Oh, Canada
#42New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 17:30:37
Cut the mustard? Why dilute a perfectly good condiment?
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#43New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 17:50:38
@lefty Said

Cut the mustard? Why dilute a perfectly good condiment?

Although, honey mustard is my favorite.

...and the homemade kind, as a glaze, on ham.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#44New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 17:55:20
TPT, do you disagree with the premise that unchecked greed which leads to literal destruction of the natural environment is a bad thing?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#45New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 17:57:37
@ThePainefulTruth Said

But that's exactly what they did, in the movie. The Lorax exploded out of the stump of the tree he first cut down. You'd think he cut down the Tree of Souls in Avatar or something. There were no half measures in this at all.

But I was talking about Dr. Seuss - in other words, the book - which you also said was "bad enough".
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs