UK Elections & Politics

UK Election date announced

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 11:37:28
May 6th, been approved and everything. Sooner than I expected.

Anyhoo i will be out of the UK that date so will vote by post. Kind of glad i will be out of the UK actually

Anyhoo whats your predictions?

I suspect labour will get back in by the skin of the teeth.

UKIP and BNP will get a scary amount of votes. Liberals will also get an unexpected amount of votes.

Thats my prediction.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 11:41:10
I think the Lib Dems will do well this year, I think a lot of people are very disillusioned with the big two. Conversely I do think you're also right in the respect that parties like the BNP will get a lot of votes this year, which obviously is slightly worrying. I don't think they'll get anywhere near enough support to get into Parliament though which is something at least.

I predict a Hung Parliament at the moment, but we'll see how the campaigning goes I guess.

Did anyone watch Cameron and Brown's speeches?
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 11:51:52
It's likely to be a close one. In fact, it's one of the most unpredictable elections in a long time. Each of the three mainstream parties have a shot at power.

I certainly hope the Tories don't get in.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 12:07:56
I think a hung parliament favouring Labour is the most likely outcome. I think Labour's share will vastly decrease and the Tories to increase a fair amount.

I think the Lib Dems share will decrease as well as Clegg's right-wing policies wont go down well with traditional Labour supporters who have been voting for the Liberals since the Iraq war.

I think the BNP vote will also decrease as will the vote of all marginal parties bar the Greens and the SNP.
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 13:22:00
The last date to register to vote is April 20th so PLEASE urge everyone to register even if have no intention to vote. % turnout is measured on voters who have registered not on those eligable so if few register then turnout appears high. If people fed up with conventional parties and candidates ALL register but don't vote then voting figures will appear low and this will send a strong message that all is not well at Westminster. Please pass this message on.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#6New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 13:25:42
Ah that's a good point, I need to actually register to vote as I've moved constituency recently. Right, time to log onto aboutmyvote.org.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#7New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 13:30:57
Wait, apparently I am registered to my Stirling address still. I could just vote there and not bother changing it, just have to travel through to Stirling on May 6th.

Come On You Labour!

I reckon more people will vote if it is done fitba style!

We're Red
Iraqi's are Dead
We're Bouncing On their Heads
We're the PLP, the PLP!
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 13:31:10
@Richard142 Said

The last date to register to vote is April 20th so PLEASE urge everyone to register even if have no intention to vote. % turnout is measured on voters who have registered not on those eligable so if few register then turnout appears high. If people fed up with conventional parties and candidates ALL register but don't vote then voting figures will appear low and this will send a strong message that all is not well at Westminster. Please pass this message on.

If there's a hung Parliament and another election is called during the year then do we still have to be registered by April 20th?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#9New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 17:34:28
@sister_of_mercy Said

If there's a hung Parliament and another election is called during the year then do we still have to be registered by April 20th?

Nope, there will be another deadline date given when the next election is called. Even if it is only two months after the May one.
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Apr 13, 2010 @ 11:48:09
@treebee Said

Anyhoo i will be out of the UK that date so will vote by post. Kind of glad i will be out of the UK actually
UKIP and BNP will get a scary amount of votes. Liberals will also get an unexpected amount of votes.
Thats my prediction.

I have moved to Brighton, East Sussex, and now live in the constituency of Brighton Pavillion where there is a good chance of a Green MP being ellected.
With so many controversial issues about accountability and credibility it even more essential that everyone register so that turnout will more accuratly reflect our confidence, or lack of it, in our electorial system.
I hope that votes are cast for definate reasons as well as protesting about the lack of credibility that existing politicians have generated.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#11New Post! Apr 13, 2010 @ 12:58:01
Most political theory suggests low voter turn-out occurs most often when people are happy with the way things are, it makes them less likely to vote as they have less problems with the country.

Dissatisfaction with traditional government usually manifests itself in there being a higher proportion of votes for smaller parties than normal.
gooner On April 18, 2010

Banned

Islington, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Apr 13, 2010 @ 13:03:13
@treebee Said

Thats my prediction.

I reckon the Conservatives will win (I hope not) ...if not it will be a hung parliament with a Conservative majority
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs