Happy Columbus Day!!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
GreenAppleKing On April 23, 2015

Deleted

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 10:57:48

Much thanks to the Italians for giving us Columbus. As you all know Columbus discovered America in 1492. I love Italian food, Catholics, and sports cars too!!

It is a very happy day for our family.
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#2New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 11:07:52
@GreenAppleKing Said

Much thanks to the Italians for giving us Columbus. As you all know Columbus discovered America in 1492. I love Italian food, Catholics, and sports cars too!!

It is a very happy day for our family.

I thought he was a Spaniard??

Deleted

#3New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 11:19:16
@Demented Said

I thought he was a Spaniard??

Queen Isabella funded the trip. Some people will say Columbus was Italian. That's what I say because of tradition and the way I was taught.

Here's a video which shows the important historical event as it happened:

Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 11:21:23
As I understood he was Genoese by birth, which in modern day would make him Italian although he sailed under the Spanish flag because Spain footed the bill for his voyage.

Deleted

#5New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 11:25:26
@Eaglebauer Said

As I understood he was Genoese by birth, which in modern day would make him Italian although he sailed under the Spanish flag because Spain footed the bill for his voyage.

Sonny you looka so skinny. Sit down and I feed you a little something so you can find a nice girl and have a big family.
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#6New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 11:47:14
S'funny really, he didn't discover "America", he never set foot on the continent at all, and according to what I've read he died not even knowing it existed!
He "discovered" the "Americas" , and he wasn't even the first, there'd been others before him, and as far as I know the Vikings(sic) were on the Nth American continent long before he was born.
Still, isn't that The American Way, never let mere peccadilloes like truth or reality get in the way of a good yarn, hey?

Deleted

#7New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 11:58:48
@Marcussextus Said

S'funny really, he didn't discover "America", he never set foot on the continent at all,

Columbus unwittingly landed in the Bahamas. The last time I checked, the Bahamas are part of the continent of North America.
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#8New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 12:06:35
@GreenAppleKing Said

Columbus unwittingly landed in the Bahamas. The last time I checked, the Bahamas are part of the continent of North America.

Hmmm, I think you'll find that being surrounded by water qualifies them as Islands, it usually does, especially when there's rather a lot of it between they and said continent. Like I said, details, mere details, we needn't bother with them if they spoil the story, that'd be UnAmerican!

, Australia
#9New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 12:12:59
@Marcussextus Said

S'funny really, he didn't discover "America", he never set foot on the continent at all, and according to what I've read he died not even knowing it existed!
He "discovered" the "Americas" , and he wasn't even the first, there'd been others before him, and as far as I know the Vikings(sic) were on the Nth American continent long before he was born.
Still, isn't that The American Way, never let mere peccadilloes like truth or reality get in the way of a good yarn, hey?

And was named after Americo Vespucci an Italian explorer

, Australia
#10New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 12:15:04
@GreenAppleKing Said

Queen Isabella funded the trip. Some people will say Columbus was Italian. That's what I say because of tradition and the way I was taught.

Here's a video which shows the important historical event as it happened:

Wow,thanks for that,and it was full if hyterical facts as well

Deleted

#11New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 12:21:33
@Marcussextus Said

Hmmm, I think you'll find that being surrounded by water qualifies them as Islands, it usually does, especially when there's rather a lot of it between they and said continent.

Water. Yes. Off the shore of what's now Miami Florida.

That's a distinction without a difference. It's all North America. Perhaps if you could make the argument that he actually sailed to the West Indies instead of North America, you might have a point.

Deleted

#12New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 12:21:56
@Demented Said

Wow,thanks for that,and it was full if hyterical facts as well

my pleasure

, Australia
#13New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 12:25:43
@GreenAppleKing Said

my pleasure

Seems he had as much trouble proving it was round as Micheal Angelo did proving the moon made the tide come in and out.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 12:26:10
@Marcussextus Said

Hmmm, I think you'll find that being surrounded by water qualifies them as Islands, it usually does, especially when there's rather a lot of it between they and said continent. Like I said, details, mere details, we needn't bother with them if they spoil the story, that'd be UnAmerican!

I actually didn't know this until recently, but the countries considered part of North America include several island nations, the Bahamas among them:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_countries_by_population

I think its a pretty recent development though in which all inhabited land masses are supposed to be relegated to a continent. I might be wrong about that though.

Personally I think it's kind of silly celebrating Columbus day and saying that he "discovered" something that was already inhabited. And like you said, he wasn't even the first European. The Vikings got here before him (as you pointed out) and actually did land on the main continent up in Canada.

Deleted

#15New Post! Oct 13, 2014 @ 12:43:58
@Eaglebauer Said

Personally I think it's kind of silly celebrating Columbus day and saying that he "discovered" something that was already inhabited. And like you said, he wasn't even the first European. The Vikings got here before him (as you pointed out) and actually did land on the main continent up in Canada.

Silliness is sort of measured by degree and context right?

I'm being weened off holidays one at a time. I'll be traveling over Christmas so won't do much with that I suppose.
Can we agree that making a quick note of such events is probably better than getting a full day off work and drinking alcohol?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs