France: Muslim soccer team refuses to play match against gay team

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Charlemagne On December 10, 2012

Houston,
#1New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 16:13:06
Muslim side spurns gay football challenge

(AFP) – 2 days ago

CRETEIL, France — A gay football club in a Paris suburb have protested to local league chiefs after being snubbed for a scheduled match by a fellow league side.

https://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iTmrW21JzH2-V6mmvu1bM2A8zFiQ
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 16:14:17
Very interesting. I saw this on another site as well.
Michael718 On March 16, 2010
.... Evil genius?

Deleted

Caprica City, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 16:15:30
Huh. I'd be more worried if i were playing rubgy against them, tbh.

But seriously... Just not play like that? What the f***? It's football, not national bum sex league.

Okay so actually seriously... Homosexuality isnt a philosophy. Its hardly even a choice at all.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#4New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 16:37:31
I would be disappointed if there is a law that compels the Muslim team to play against the gay team.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 16:38:12
@kentoo Said

I would be disappointed if there is a law that compels the Muslim team to play against the gay team.

There may be a law that forbids you from discriminating against someone because of their sexual orientation. Probably not though.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#6New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 16:53:35
@jonnythan Said

There may be a law that forbids you from discriminating against someone because of their sexual orientation. Probably not though.

That is food for thought. If such a law exists a women's team might be charged with discrimination in their refusal to play against a men's team.

Charlemagne On December 10, 2012

Houston,
#7New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 16:54:25
@kentoo Said

Muslims openly snub Jews all the time, why should gays be any different?

That being said, I would be disappointed if there is a law that compels anyone to play anyone else.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 09, 2009 @ 07:25:02
I would be disappointed if there is a law that compels the Muslim team to play against the gay team. <<< Kentoo

So would I, Ken. However, there may be a rule that forbids a team from refusing to play a fixture against any other team, regardless of the reason for it.

In England, under Football Association rules, any team that refuses to fulfil a fixture for whatever reason could be expelled from that league and have it's record expunged.

Simply put, if a club enters a league, they are obliged to fulfil all the fixtures of that league. Religious conviction doesn't come into the equation.

If this sort of thing happened in the UK, with our anti-discrimination laws, it could open up a huge can of worms. If the team were simply refusing to play, without giving a reason then the FA could take their own action against them (possibly expulsion from the league), but if the team openly stated that their reason was on the grounds of an anti-homosexual attitude, then they could be prosecuted and sued under British anti-discrimination law.

Personally, I think they should just get on with the game...... Stop making a fuss over nothing.

Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 09, 2009 @ 07:33:37
Huh. I'd be more worried if i were playing rubgy against them, tbh. <<< Michael718

Actually, Mick, there are a number of gay rugby teams around. A number of rugby clubs in San Francisco area have a Gay XV and they play matches against each other quite happily and offend nobody. Occasionally they will play matches against "straight" XV's and it's all played in good spirit.

In New Zealand, there is a league set aside specifically for gay rugby teams. The most famous of those is the Ponsonby Club in Auckland...... and if you think Ponsonby are in any way effette, I would just point out that Ponsonby have produced more All Blacks from their youth programme than any other club side in New Zealand.

And while I'm on the subject, if you think there is anything effette at all about gay rugby players, I might also point out to you that on 11 September 2001, one of the hijacked aircraft was brought down by passengers before it could reach it's target. That passenger's revolt was led by a man who played for a gay rugby team in San Francisco.

The rugby men you joke about may be gay, but it doesn't make them lesser men.

Thanks for reading.

treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Oct 09, 2009 @ 07:43:37
Religion and Politics should stay out of sports. So should bigotry.
sue2 On August 15, 2011

Deleted

cornwall, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 09, 2009 @ 08:19:35
@Charlemagne Said

Muslim side spurns gay football challenge

(AFP) – 2 days ago

CRETEIL, France — A gay football club in a Paris suburb have protested to local league chiefs after being snubbed for a scheduled match by a fellow league side.

https://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iTmrW21JzH2-V6mmvu1bM2A8zFiQ

This dosn't surprise me at all with their dictating religion & rules
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs