Common Sense

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 19:15:47
The term 'common sense' is branded about by newspapers, politicians, columnists, bloggers and dolphin trainers time after time after time. Almost invariably these are comments against being politically correct, or safe or something else like that.

This to me seems odd, as things that my inner common sense detecter determines to be the most sensible action, policy or idea 95% of the time fall into liberal or left-wing ideologies. Yet it seems to be the preserve of the right to call things I find completely non-sensical as being 'common sense'.

What do you think determines 'common sense'?
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#2New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 19:19:58
I guess common sense depends on your age, how you were raised, your education level, how aware you are of the world around you, and the place you live in.

I mean I bet there are things that are "common sense" to me that would be different from someone in a different country.

sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 20:06:11
To me it means practical knowledge or basic logical principles that everyone seems to be aware of. Hence why people say that students can be very smart but have no common sense at all.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 20:13:09
Just after I wrote that I was reminded of Albert Einstein's famous quote. "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#5New Post! Mar 13, 2011 @ 01:41:54
@jmo Said

The term 'common sense' is branded about by newspapers, politicians, columnists, bloggers and dolphin trainers time after time after time. Almost invariably these are comments against being politically correct, or safe or something else like that.

This to me seems odd, as things that my inner common sense detecter determines to be the most sensible action, policy or idea 95% of the time fall into liberal or left-wing ideologies. Yet it seems to be the preserve of the right to call things I find completely non-sensical as being 'common sense'.

E: A liberal gene has recently been isolated. This means that some people have a predisposition to be liberal. And it also means that potential liberals can be identified prenatal and aborted so they do not contaminate the gene pool with their left-wing ideologies. Well not really.

#6New Post! Mar 13, 2011 @ 01:48:36
@drummerwannabe Said

I guess common sense depends on your age, how you were raised, your education level, how aware you are of the world around you, and the place you live in.

I mean I bet there are things that are "common sense" to me that would be different from someone in a different country.

that makes sense. kidding again. I had a tooth pulled and the pain medication is really nice. Especially when taken with a shot of brandy. Anyway, are you saying that common sense is learned and not innate.

there are, i believe, things that are intuitive and things that are counter intuative, is intuition inherited? is common sense intuative. There are behavoir patterns that we inherit. Common sense, is it learned? Am i making any sense? is your room spinning too?

#7New Post! Mar 13, 2011 @ 02:01:27
@jmo Said

Ok, I remembered that I once started an essay on common sense and went off on some tangent never to return. This happens frequently, I seen to go where it takes me.

Anyway, here are the notes that I had before I abandoned the project. If this medication ever wears off I will see if I can come up with something cogent. (I am pretty sure that if I have another brandy I will be able to levitate.)

Common sense

Common sense is derived from experience.

Common sense is what people (in common) agree upon.

Common sense is that which a society tacitly agrees to as a common understanding.

Common sense refers to beliefs (propositions) that most people consider to be prudent.

Common sense does not rely on any particular esoteric knowledge, on any study, or on any research; it is based solely on upon what a society views as prudent.

Common sense is the knowledge gained through experience that most people have or should have.

In general common sense means sound judgment in practical matters and has nothing to do with what a person thinks or feels.
25tolife On March 13, 2011

Brandon, South Dakota
#8New Post! Mar 13, 2011 @ 02:30:53
I view common sense as survival instinct.

#9New Post! Mar 13, 2011 @ 03:20:46
@25tolife Said

I view common sense as survival instinct.

An instinct, so inherited not not learned?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#10New Post! Mar 13, 2011 @ 03:33:31
i ran out of wood, so i put stones in the fire hoping they would burn.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#11New Post! Mar 13, 2011 @ 04:23:47
I think common sense is a combination of experience, learned knowledge and inherent knowledge.

#12New Post! Mar 14, 2011 @ 04:14:04
@jmo Said

Each of the senses gives input, and then something in the mind integrates the sense data into a single impression.
This something that integreates the sense data is common sense.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#13New Post! Mar 14, 2011 @ 05:32:37
Moderation, Exception, The Golden Rule.

#14New Post! Mar 14, 2011 @ 14:50:25
@Electric_Banana Said

Moderation, Exception, The Golden Rule.

Response to EB post:

Moderation, Exception, ‘The Golden Rule’ and common sense

Moderation = constraint = just right = Goldilocks

Exception = exclusion of that which is not just right (which requires discernment)

Golden rule = appropriate behavior = just right behavior= exclusion of behavior that is not just right.

Is that what you mean?
writeaps On July 27, 2011
Troll

Makati, Philippines
#15New Post! Mar 14, 2011 @ 15:09:42
Common sense is proper discernment.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs