Forums: Relationships:
Parenting

One of the most frustrating things...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
JorieJukebox On April 24, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#1New Post! Jan 31, 2015 @ 05:07:05
To me, one of the most frustrating things about being a parent is knowing that they won't get it, none of it, until they are already adults themselves...
They won't understand why we have rules, why have to 'be mean.' They think they know better than we do, they think they know it all...
Yes. I know I used to be a 'they.' Doesn't help anyone here. LOL.
They won't. (I'm sitting here shakin' my head as I type, as if you all could see it.)
And when they do FINALLY EFFING get it, it won't be from us talking until we're blue in the face... It'll be when they have kids of their own... And it'll dawn on them... "OH, S***, this is what Mom was talking about..."
I have found myself apologizing to my Mom SO MUCH lately...
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Feb 01, 2015 @ 01:14:59
I feel you...

I often have to project myself into one of my kids' place when I'm talking to them about something and think back to when I was fifteen and ask myself if I'd "get it." And granted, sometimes the answer is yes, but sometimes it isn't. I'd have been pissed at my dad when I was that age if he'd said "Actually, yes I do know what's best for you." But I find myself biting my tongue from saying that very thing now.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Feb 01, 2015 @ 01:43:25
You might be surprised how much they, our children, actually get.

The bottom line is that we, metaphorically, give them the bicycle and show them how to ride....but sooner or later you have to let go of the bike and let them ride, or you both fall down and get injured.

With parenting it is, again metaphorically, a never ending flow of bicycles each with varying degrees of difficulty, importance and "danger".

And then someday, perhaps many years in the future, your son or daughter says or does something...and you know that you got it right...if you are really lucky, they turn to you some day and tell you what a great parent you were.

You know, in your heart, that you were flying by the seat of your pants the whole time...but it still feels good when they tell you otherwise.
JorieJukebox On April 24, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#4New Post! Feb 01, 2015 @ 05:15:30
@Eaglebauer Said

I feel you...

I often have to project myself into one of my kids' place when I'm talking to them about something and think back to when I was fifteen and ask myself if I'd "get it." And granted, sometimes the answer is yes, but sometimes it isn't. I'd have been pissed at my dad when I was that age if he'd said "Actually, yes I do know what's best for you." But I find myself biting my tongue from saying that very thing now.

OMG, I know! And I fork over a lot of understanding, with gentle 'howevers.' My son is 15 right now, and being very rebellious, and making some pretty poor choices. He's not even my biological son, and so much is reflected! It's the mother's curse, I tell ya! "When you have kids, I hope they're just like you!" Ha!

@chaski Said

You might be surprised how much they, our children, actually get.

The bottom line is that we, metaphorically, give them the bicycle and show them how to ride....but sooner or later you have to let go of the bike and let them ride, or you both fall down and get injured.

With parenting it is, again metaphorically, a never ending flow of bicycles each with varying degrees of difficulty, importance and "danger".

And then someday, perhaps many years in the future, your son or daughter says or does something...and you know that you got it right...if you are really lucky, they turn to you some day and tell you what a great parent you were.

You know, in your heart, that you were flying by the seat of your pants the whole time...but it still feels good when they tell you otherwise.

I totally hear that, I try to give my kids more credit than I was given, and most of the time they live up to it... But when they don't... well, they REALLY don't! lol
All I can do is my best and hope I'm not screwing them up for life.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#5New Post! Feb 02, 2015 @ 00:40:45
It's great to get that affiration, no matter how much later it is.

Things get more 'interesting' when you pay attention to reactions
(checked and unchecked, said/unsaid, body language) of persons such
as toddlers, 20 year olds, 40 and 60+ year olds all living under the
same roof.

Makes you further reflect on the teaching moments you have with the
younger, toddler children ---- as you compare it to the behavior of other adults
acting as if they don't know what someone else is talking about when they don't
wanna go there, when they are uncomfortable or embarrassed about choices they made.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs