Subcultures

Alcohol and our culture..

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
dylangreen On September 10, 2011

Plymouth, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Aug 26, 2011 @ 08:43:56
i'm not sure whether it's relevent but i read an article the other day that went into detail about depression and intelligence

it make suggestions to the theory that people with higher intellegence are more likely to get depression - and one of the factors was intellegence having an affect on social skills or the lack there of. it also mentioned the phrase:
'drinking to make people more interesting'
it suggested that people who are more intelligent are more likely to drink to lower their iq (and thus fit in with the social group they usually feel isolated from) and lose their inibitions (resulting in a lack of concern of the intellectual merit of coversations).

i suppose that intellegence, drug/alcohol use and depression are linked in many cases. some people using drug/alcohol to suppress their intellegence and make it easier to deal with mental health problems on a basic level.

hope this helps - not sure where i read it if i find it ill link it here

- dylan
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Aug 26, 2011 @ 09:02:45
@sue2 Said

I enjoy a drink, havn't got drunk for a lot of years but when I did once or twice back in my teens it didn't make me violent just stupid

I don't quite know what the answer is to Britains problems regarding the bad effects of alcohol. We see the violence on Friday & Sat nights. Many ( not all )just going out to get totally plastered and cause trouble. Some say alcohol is too cheap, some blame the longer licensing hours. Changing this I don't think will solve the real problems.

Government is trying to have an industry wide voluntary code of conduct to stop 'loss leaders' from including alcoholic drinks. Its not working with so many discount offers on multi packs of beer. A&E departments are being overwhelmed with alcohol related injuries that is costing our NHS [and so the tax payer] £billions.
Oisin On January 27, 2012

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Aug 26, 2011 @ 09:30:29
with regards to people being 'punch drunk' i think 99% of the time it depends on the person.

if you are the kind of person who is inclined to punch someone in the head for no real reason when sober then you will be worse when drunk.

i tend to just sit and talk more s***e than usual (yes it is possible) and have a laugh.

regarding people going out and getting smashed, i think it's because alcohol is so restricted here. NO DRINKING 'TILL YOU ARE 18. then when kids can get their hands on some alcohol they fire as much as thy can down their throat as quickly as they can. i think the attitude toward alcohol in the UK is pretty immature.

in saying that though, i don't think many families sit round a table and have a meal together these days which is when i gather kids in the med are given wine at quite a young age and they witness mature social drinking.

right, i'm away to shotgun 18 cans of stella and start a fight with a statue.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#19New Post! Aug 26, 2011 @ 09:49:38
I was a happy drunk and was every ones friend .
Only one time did I get violent and it was that drunk that taught me a very well learned lesson.
That when you try to beat the s*** out of a pile of rocks with your face the blocks win , every time .
Some how after I got mad (about something going on IRL with my family ) I got tangled up in a huge pile of rocks that someone was using to build a house . Stupid me kept standing up and trying to walk away but kept falling down . I came out of that with both wrists broke ,my nose broke and to many cuts and bruises to count.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#20New Post! Aug 26, 2011 @ 11:10:11
@curiouskat Said

I am interested in peoples experience with alcohol..

I was doing some reading and found this

https://www.sirc.org/publik/drinking3.html

So they seem to be suggesting that a build up of tolerance levels means that people of some cultures will have little or no bad side effects, while others will have increased bad effects as a result of drinking too much.

I'd like to hear where you are from and how you usually behave when you are drunk.
Are you a loving drunk or do you become 'punch' happy?

Back when I still drank I was a happy drunk, everyone's buddy. I had a high tolerance for alcohol. Worked all night. Drank from 8am until mid afternoon, slept until 10pm, went to work. Every day. I'm paying for it now though.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs