The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Science:
Sociology

Indigenous people and prisons. what social theory to use?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#16New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 00:11:30
@Willi Said

interesting.
how did that happen?

I haven't gotten that far yet, I am trying to 'compose' a thread about the different countries and the 'best and worst ' treated indigenous people.
I have found out something that is very interesting while at the same time angers me.
Every one has heard about the different water fountains , laundry mats , etc... that existed in America at one time .
On the page I have linked to click on the drop down menu label ' All Health Services'. Look closely at the choices . Now remember this is a government sponsored site offering government sponsored services .

https://www.mentalhealth.wa.gov.au/getting_help/directory.aspx

n/a, New Mexico
#17New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 00:13:03
My apologies to the OP . I will take my off topic info and post it in a thread of my own . ..
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#18New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 00:26:20
@white_swan53 Said

I haven't gotten that far yet, I am trying to 'compose' a thread about the different countries and the 'best and worst ' treated indigenous people.
I have found out something that is very interesting while at the same time angers me.
Every one has heard about the different water fountains , laundry mats , etc... that existed in America at one time .
On the page I have linked to click on the drop down menu label ' All Health Services'. Look closely at the choices . Now remember this is a government sponsored site offering government sponsored services .

https://www.mentalhealth.wa.gov.au/getting_help/directory.aspx

They've segregated all of the different groups. Perhaps they feel that different mindsets require a different psychiatric approach.

n/a, New Mexico
#19New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 00:30:09
@Electric_Banana Said

They've segregated all of the different groups. Perhaps they feel that different mindsets require a different psychiatric approach.

perhaps . you may be correct.

, New Zealand
#20New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 00:40:21
@white_swan53 Said

perhaps . you may be correct.

In a genuine manner, a gay person may feel more comfortable confiding with an gay counselor.

Same with native Aussies and women.

n/a, New Mexico
#21New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 00:53:58
@Electric_Banana Said

In a genuine manner, a gay person may feel more comfortable confiding with an gay counselor.

I am not the person to try and second guess the answers to these comments . Simply because , I am not gay nor am I indigenous to the country I live in and last but not least I am an American and as an American I find that drop down menu to be offencive .

, New Zealand
#22New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 00:57:17
@white_swan53 Said

I am not the person to try and second guess the answers to these comments . Simply because , I am not gay nor am I indigenous to the country I live in and last but not least I am an American and as an American I find that drop down menu to be offencive .

Perhaps are specific American counselors as well whom sit around and counsel wearing 10-Gallon hats.

n/a, New Mexico
#23New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 01:02:47
@Electric_Banana Said

Perhaps are specific American counselors as well whom sit around and counsel wearing 10-Gallon hats.

I'm sorry , this goes right over my head , even when I stand up hoping to catch your meaning .
could you explain this post ?

, New Zealand
#24New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 01:14:26
@white_swan53 Said

I'm sorry , this goes right over my head , even when I stand up hoping to catch your meaning .
could you explain this post ?

10-Gallon hat = Cowboy hat. I was making a joke.

I'm suggesting that they may have segregated the different sexes and races to be distributed to professionals more knowledgeable of those sexes and races, especially if those counselors are gay/lesbian, Aboriginal, Female, etc. themselves.

Kind of like a lot of women are more comfortable with female gynecologists.

And males are more comfortable being massaged by female therapists.

n/a, New Mexico
#25New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 01:17:53
@Electric_Banana Said

The first thought that I had when I seen the menu was ' damn , they keep their minorities segregated from the citizens .

How would the treatment by a trained medical doctor , of a white Aussie woman be an different then the treatment of an Aboriginal woman regardless of what she is being treated for ?

, New Zealand
#26New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 01:23:51
@white_swan53 Said

The first thought that I had when I seen the menu was ' damn , they keep their minorities segregated from the citizens .

How would the treatment by a trained medical doctor , of a white Aussie woman be an different then the treatment of an Aboriginal woman regardless of what she is being treated for ?

Cultural and religious differences that an Aboriginal counselor would be more empathic with than an English counselor.

This is mental health and not anatomy so a lot of personal issues get brought up.

n/a, New Mexico
#27New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 01:29:08
@Electric_Banana Said

10-Gallon hat = Cowboy hat. I was making a joke.

I'm suggesting that they may have segregated the different sexes and races to be distributed to professionals more knowledgeable of those sexes and races, especially if those counselors are gay/lesbian, Aboriginal, Female, etc. themselves.

Kind of like a lot of women are more comfortable with female gynecologists.

And males are more comfortable being massaged by female therapists.

Sure I understand that . But what I don't understand is , why wouldn't these different sexes and races be allowed to just find their own doctors without their government segregating them like they have?

But , look here . You are in one of the few countries that can claim that they all get along with each other . And I'm in a country that does not incarcerate our mentally challenged citizens for no other reason then to 'ware house' them . ( Actual words on the site I linked to ) for want of any other options . nor have we had separate drinking fountains or health providers ,,, for our different races in several decades ,
I have several links I have bookmarked , if anyone that is from there doesn't feel inclined to share any insights or have any constructive input . I can use the links.

I have had many months to study how to go about this , after all just look how many posters from Europe do just that when posting about something in America they have strong opinions on .

, New Zealand
#28New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 01:34:30
@white_swan53 Said

Sure I understand that . But what I don't understand is , why wouldn't these different sexes and races be allowed to just find their own doctors without their government segregating them like they have?

But , look here . You are in one of the few countries that can claim that they all get along with each other . And I'm in a country that does not incarcerate our mentally challenged citizens for no other reason then to 'ware house' them . ( Actual words on the site I linked to ) for want of any other options . nor have we had separate drinking fountains or health providers ,,, for our different races in several decades ,
I have several links I have bookmarked , if anyone that is from there doesn't feel inclined to share any insights or have any constructive input . I can use the links.

I have had many months to study how to go about this , after all just look how many posters from Europe do just that when posting about something in America they have strong opinions on .

I believe they have the option of choosing any doctor they like but the segregated listing is for their convenience in case they prefer counseling from a person of the same sex, race or creed.

n/a, New Mexico
#29New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 01:52:53
@Electric_Banana Said

I believe they have the option of choosing any doctor they like but the segregated listing is for their convenience in case they prefer counseling from a person of the same sex, race or creed.

I am inclined to agree with your guess that they can choose any doctor they want , i can't imagine any other way of life style .
damn , did we make a liar out of me , big time !!!
I apologised to the OP for posting off topic and said I would go post a thread of my own ,, that was a couple of pages ago I am thinking .

, New Zealand
#30New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 02:28:01
@white_swan53 Said

I am inclined to agree with your guess that they can choose any doctor they want , i can't imagine any other way of life style .
damn , did we make a liar out of me , big time !!!
I apologised to the OP for posting off topic and said I would go post a thread of my own ,, that was a couple of pages ago I am thinking .

Meh only at the top of this page, not that far back.

The more ya know.

And it's sorta on topic.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs