The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

NHS staff face sacking if they talk about religion or their beliefs with colleagu

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#1New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 14:47:33
Saw this in the news today

Clicky to story source

Quote:
All National Health Service employees risk losing their job if they discuss their religious beliefs with colleagues or patients..................Following overwhelming public support for Caroline Petrie, the Christian nurse who was suspended after she offered to pray for an elderly patient, her employers have caved said she could return to her job.

The row over her treatment has reached the House of Commons, with Sir Patrick Cormack, the Tory MP for South Staffordshire, claiming that her case had highlighted the ?utter absurdities? of political correctness.

Although Mrs Petrie was relieved her ordeal was over, fears have been raised that new rules could lead to the dismissal of any health care worker who tries to talk about their faith to others.

A little-noticed document published by the Department of Health last month gives warning that attempts by doctors or nurses to preach to other staff or patients will be treated as harassment or intimidation under disciplinary procedures.

But it does not make clear the limits of acceptable discussion about religion.

Faith groups said the guidelines were so vague that they could mean action could be taken against anyone who talks about their beliefs to fellow workers or patients. etc etc etc

Well, the thing about this news story, is that nothing is set in stone, it's people worrying more than anything - however the guidelines are there..........it could happen.

However - does anyone seriously believe, if anyone does get sacked for discussing religion, it will be anyone but a Christian?
It shows how far cynicism has gone with percieved inequal treatment, that everyone I've spoken to on this news story so far has said the same thing..........does anyone seriously believe a Muslim would ever be sacked for talking about Islam? Can you imagine the uproar.

And before any knuckle draggers try making a racial thing out of this - don't even go there This is not an attack on anyone, more those who try to impose ridiculous laws.
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 14:50:07
Its bulls***, no one is gonna lose their job, the bosses will be to scared to sack anyone with this current story doing the rounds.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 14:55:51
Im in two minds about this one.

Firstly she shouldnt have offered to pray, she should have offered the hospital chaplain. One of the most important points when you go into healthcare is that you treat every single person without prejudice, regardless of religion etc etc which also means that the care giver is also expected to keep such things to themselves. In order to maintain professionalism we do not speak of our faiths or opinions.

On the other side of things, should a trained nurse be sacked for this? 3 years of public training money and because of one slip up a nurse should be sacked?

I suspect the government will make a song and dance and publish some information for healthcare workers reminding them to keep that sort of thing to themselves.

She shouldnt have bought up her faith but if she is a good nurse, f***! we need as many of those as we can get.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 14:58:45
Although she was trying to be nice, if it were me I'd be a bit offended by that if she offered to pray for me. If she is a good nurse though then it shouldn't really matter, but I don't think any religion should be involved with medical matters unless the patient decides to bring up the topic, I'd feel a bit uneasy.
iliterate_enginere On February 12, 2010

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#5New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 15:10:04
@sister_of_mercy Said

Although she was trying to be nice, if it were me I'd be a bit offended by that if she offered to pray for me. If she is a good nurse though then it shouldn't really matter, but I don't think any religion should be involved with medical matters unless the patient decides to bring up the topic, I'd feel a bit uneasy.

How can you be offended by that?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 15:12:45
@iliterate_enginere Said

Well not strongly offended, I'd just think it wasn't their place to say things like that, they might not want to be prayed for. I can't explain it exactly but I just don't think it's right to bring religion into things that are not necessary.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 15:13:14
@iliterate_enginere Said

Im not saying this is what happened but often when people are very ill, they become quite angry at all sorts of things, particularly god and religion. People who are sick arent themselves and of course if you are die hard atheist it can be insulting.
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#8New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 15:22:51
Unless the patient expressly brings religion into their illness religion shouldn't be bought up.

Jehovahs piss me off when they turn up at wards preaching their religion, normally to people who are in no fit state to say bugger off
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 15:26:11
@hallucinogenic_lipstick Said

Jehovahs piss me off when they turn up at wards preaching their religion, normally to people who are in no fit state to say bugger off

CATTLE PROD!

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#10New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 15:27:52
@sister_of_mercy Said

Well not strongly offended, I'd just think it wasn't their place to say things like that, they might not want to be prayed for. I can't explain it exactly but I just don't think it's right to bring religion into things that are not necessary.

Isn't that the purpose of asking? I mean if the lady out right told the patient she would pray for them, then I can see how some people may get offended by that. But merely asking someone if they wanted them to perform what is considered a kind gesture by most, I don't see how anyone can be offended by that. To me it's the same as offering to help someone carry some large object.

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#11New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 15:30:47
@hallucinogenic_lipstick Said

Unless the patient expressly brings religion into their illness religion shouldn't be bought up.

Yes, but this not the case. The nurse didn't even ask the patient what her religion was or say anything about her own religion. She asked the patient, if she wanted her to pray for her.
wynston On March 21, 2014

Swansea, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 15:42:32
Why is everyone so scared of everyone??? She offered to pray as a token of hope she would get well..

They suspended her cos they are scared of politics..

I hate it sooooooooooooooo much I wish they would all die!!!!!!

Happy Friday everyone!!!
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 15:49:47
When I'm sick and in hospital, I don't mind the sympathetic voices, the being treated like a baby because I have the face of a twelve-year-old (it stopped aging early), the pats on the head and the occasional nurse/auxillary nurse hug. Those are all examples of things that it's good for the people who work to take care of you to do. But I don't think I'd appreciate an offer to pray for me. Partly, because I don't really think it would help much, also because I would wonder why my health care person was offering to pray, since that seems kind of last-resorty and also because you're either going to pray for me or you're not. But if you are, I'd prefer if it was because you actually cared enough to do it, not because you thought it would make me feel better.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013