"As long as my mom can come with us"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#1New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 14:18:16
Often times when my boyfriend talks about moving somewhere else in the country, I always say; "As long as my mom can come with us."
He's cool with it for the most part, but she can't live with us (for very long anyway) and I guess I can compromise that.

I love both of my parents very much and I can't stomach the fact of not living within driving distance of them. I need them there when I have kids and I want them to be extremely active in their lives and I want them their on holidays.

If my SO or parent(s) would have said no, I couldn't move then.
Call me a momma's girl, I don't care. My parents are extremely important to me.

I know my dad is not up to moving, and considering his health, I don't want to leave him alone with his wife, daughter and grandkids in a totally other state. I can't bare to imagine him so alone. I'm really all that he has and I know once he can't work anymore I need to support him.

Does anyone else feel like they couldn't move without one or both of your parents?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 14:23:18
No. I moved and my parents ended up following me.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#3New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 14:23:26
I think I could move away from my mom. We have a good relationship now, but at the same time a person has to do what's best for them.
It would be hard though, but my mom has other family around to help out, so it's not like I'm deserting her.
When I was your age I could've done it easily and not looked back, now it would be hard.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 14:26:47
I live 70 miles away from my parents it is not a big deal to me.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 14:29:44
I live over 100 miles away from mine and I'm not particularly bothered, except that I don't get regular meals anymore. If anything since moving away from them I've started to get on better with both of them, so I think it's a good thing.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 14:32:58
@sister_of_mercy Said

I live over 100 miles away from mine and I'm not particularly bothered, except that I don't get regular meals anymore. If anything since moving away from them I've started to get on better with both of them, so I think it's a good thing.

My relationship with my mum has improved VASTLY since I moved away

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 14:36:56
@x_Laura_x Said

My relationship with my mum has improved VASTLY since I moved away

I actually talk to my dad now (a bit) and when I was living at home I didn't actively do that for like 6 or 7 years. It's odd how it can make so much difference.
Carly's Mommy

#8New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 14:37:33
@x_Laura_x Said

I live 70 miles away from my parents it is not a big deal to me.

@sister_of_mercy Said

I could do 70-100 miles. But when there's talk of moving 3000 miles away to California? That's too much.

And there's just so many factors involved, the fact that I'm all my dad has, his health, the fact I want my kids to be close to my parents, ect.

It's not enough to just have my mom come with us. I can't leave my dad alone like that. So unless he dies or agrees to come with, I can't do it.

If he was just talking about moving to Virginia or even Tenessee, I'd be okay. But Cali is on the complete opposite end of the country.
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 14:40:42
I live a 4 hour drive from my dad's but my sis and bro still live at home so it's not much of an issue. However I did feel guilty moving away as he was going through a bad time but my sis put me straight and said my dad would be even more upset if I'd stayed for him and not gone and done what we'd planned for and looked forward to for so long, he just wants us to be happy and would be devastated if he got in the way of that. If I was an only child though and he didn't have other family nearby too I'd prob think differently. I suppose it depends how old they are too, we're near my fellas family here but they're ten years older than my dad so they'd prob need help earlier, hopefully though with both our parents it's a long way off yet and lots can change, eg they may move, so I'm not worrying just yet. If you're happier staying close to home then go for it but if you wanna experience somewhere else for a while do it now, when you're young and don't have any kids or other ties, you can always move back if you want or need to....
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 14:41:38
I think space from parents is good and natural.
Carly's Mommy

#11New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 14:44:32
@jmo Said

I think space from parents is good and natural.

I'm not saying I want to live with them the rest of my life, but living 3000 miles is far too much for my comfort and all things considered it's not a nice thought.

If I had children in California and my parents were in Maryland they would only see each other once or twice a year. I want them seeing each other once or twice a week.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#12New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 15:40:40
I live about 600 miles from my folks.. but I've got siblings that live much closer.

When my father had his heart attack several years ago, I asked my sister (who lives about 5 miles from them) if she wanted me to come up to help out. She said that there was no need.

I've reached a point in my life where, if my folks needed my help I could take them into my house and care for them, and they've reached a point in their lives where that would be acceptable.

So, where I live is not really an issue.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#13New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 15:46:58
I could live on the other side of the world from my parents and be okay. I know they would visit me. I see my family a lot, we are really close. As long as I can call them, I'd be okay.

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 15:47:58
@Kristy69 Said

I'm not saying I want to live with them the rest of my life, but living 3000 miles is far too much for my comfort and all things considered it's not a nice thought.

If I had children in California and my parents were in Maryland they would only see each other once or twice a year. I want them seeing each other once or twice a week.

You have said that you don't want kids for a little while yet though. Your dad's health may improve and you might feel differently by te time you have to make the decision. 3000 is a long way to go, but if that's the case then why settle for there in the first place when there would be other places that are a bit closer?
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#15New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 15:54:27
Some just 'want' to be close to family.

Sometimes a partner's job may call for them relocating, and living quite a distance away. What would you do in that case?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs