Mental Health

how does the placebo effect work?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
tingyuyan12 On February 05, 2011

, Alaska
#1New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 03:16:27
a sugar pill fights off cancer. how does that work? i dont get it. is it some kind of magical thing our body does?
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 03:19:28
a placebo makes people think, key word there think, that they are better. I believe it is used in cases where the person does not really have cancer but they believe that they do and are showing symptoms but tests prove other wise
vekta On November 18, 2013

#3New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 03:24:44
@tingyuyan12 Said

a sugar pill fights off cancer. how does that work? i dont get it. is it some kind of magical thing our body does?

Have you heard the saying "I think,therefor I am"?

The placebo effect works in much the same way.It's the power of believe. Sometimes if a person is made to believe that a drug or treatment will help them, that believe will trigger some kind of miraculous recovery. Don't expect Placebo to help you if you have terminal cancer or something but for many things such as pain, gastric disturbances or depression the placebo effect my very well play a part is successful treatment. The mind is a very powerful thing that is not fully understood yet and this is one of those things yet to be put into a tangible form.

https://www.skepdic.com/placebo.html
Xavery On August 15, 2023
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#4New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 03:58:31
Sometimes I am skeptical about the placebo effect. It may work with small scale depressions or people with cancer that is going into remission. It may even help a person get out of a small scale depression or take their cancer into remission.

However, we often hear of people who say that their antidepressants don't work which is contrary to what the placebo effect would predict.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#5New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 03:58:42
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo#Mechanism_of_the_effect
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#6New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 03:59:35
The power of suggestion works wonders.
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 20:53:49
I think its more for asthma and stuff like that. Or people who just think they are ill but really arnt, but because they believe they are they start showing the symptoms. Its like if you are out running and start thinking that you are shattered your body will feel like that, its kinda wierd.
Eastender On August 13, 2010

Deleted
Banned

, Falkland Islands (Islas Malv
#8New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 20:56:52
@tingyuyan12 Said

Science doesn't know, because it is outside its preferred materialistic premise lol. It suggests dominance of mind, which conventional science hates - quite why it hates it I find seriously stupid, but it does.

Quantum phenomena show involvement of an 'observer' with the establishment of matter in its systems - it's linked to this most likely.

Deleted
Banned

#9New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 20:58:09
@Delta62 Said

a placebo makes people think, key word there think, that they are better. I believe it is used in cases where the person does not really have cancer but they believe that they do and are showing symptoms but tests prove other wise

Soz but that's plain wrong.

The placebo effect is much more widely documented and involved than that.
Natural asshole

#10New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 21:02:28
@Eastender Said

Soz but that's plain wrong.

actually its plain right

A placebo is a sham or simulated medical intervention that can produce a placebo effect. In medical research, placebos depend on the use of controlled and measured deception. Common placebos are inert tablets, sham surgery,[2] and other procedures based on false information.[1] In one common placebo procedure, a patient is given an inert pill, told that it may improve his/her condition, but not told that it is in fact inert. Such an intervention may cause the patient to believe the treatment will change his/her condition; and this belief may produce a subjective perception of a therapeutic effect, causing the patient to feel their condition has improved. This phenomenon is known as the placebo effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

Deleted
Banned

#11New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 21:05:28
@Delta62 Said

actually its plain right

A placebo is a sham or simulated medical intervention that can produce a placebo effect. In medical research, placebos depend on the use of controlled and measured deception. Common placebos are inert tablets, sham surgery,[2] and other procedures based on false information.[1] In one common placebo procedure, a patient is given an inert pill, told that it may improve his/her condition, but not told that it is in fact inert. Such an intervention may cause the patient to believe the treatment will change his/her condition; and this belief may produce a subjective perception of a therapeutic effect, causing the patient to feel their condition has improved. This phenomenon is known as the placebo effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

I already know all about this. The error in this statement is the idea that the perception of improvement is 'subjective'. You need to read up more about it.
Natural asshole

#12New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 21:12:19
@Eastender Said

I already know all about this. The error in this statement is the idea that the perception of improvement is 'subjective'. You need to read up more about it.

so if you have terminal cancer with no cure and the doctor gave you some medicine and said this will make you better and didnt tell you it was a placebo you wouldnt think you where getting better?

Deleted
Banned

#13New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 21:15:56
@Delta62 Said

so if you have terminal cancer with no cure and the doctor gave you some medicine and said this will make you better and didnt tell you it was a placebo you wouldnt think you where getting better?

The point is placebo can produce actual physiological change.
Natural asshole

#14New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 21:21:18
@Eastender Said

The point is placebo can produce actual physiological change.

which was in my first post

Deleted
Banned

#15New Post! Aug 03, 2010 @ 22:29:03
@Delta62 Said

which was in my first post

Then why are you arguing? I'll spank your bottom!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs