The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Q & A

do you think that asking your guest to buy from a bridal registry only is a bit cheeky???

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
scardycat On May 17, 2014

, Australia
#1New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 14:00:56
Just got an invite to a friends wedding. I havent seen this girl for many years and was surprised to be invited to her wedding. Cool. Inside the invite was a bridal registry and a note saying she would like all her gifts bought from this shop only. Ok thats cool except this shop is really expensive and the cheapest price range was $40.00 and that was for a friggen ice cream scoop. Thats an outrageous price for a ice cream scoop. There like a few bucks at other stores
The prices just are outrageous and she want everything bought only from that store.
I havent seen or heard from her in 15yrs I reckon its a bit rich.
Id like to go but.
Do you think Im been a scab because I dont want to buy from the registry?

What do you think?????
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#2New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 14:18:12
You haven't seen or heard from her in 15 years and she invited you to her wedding? That seems odd.

Normally I don't see much wrong with offering a registry, but the couple shouldn't insist that only purchase items off that registry.

This particular situation seems off to me and if I were you, I'd decline being able to go. Or if you do go, give money or whatever you want, if she doesn't like it, she can return it.
waldo On August 02, 2016
I don't care

lancaster, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 14:29:32
Seems strange she's invited you after all these years. Maybe she's inviting everone she has ever known just to get every thing from the registry.
I would think very carfully to weather you go or not.
The prices do seem steep, see if they do vouchers and buy some of those if you can't afford much.

, Australia
#4New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 14:33:46
@floydgirrl Said

You haven't seen or heard from her in 15 years and she invited you to her wedding? That seems odd.

Normally I don't see much wrong with offering a registry, but the couple shouldn't insist that only purchase items off that registry.

This particular situation seems off to me and if I were you, I'd decline being able to go. Or if you do go, give money or whatever you want, if she doesn't like it, she can return it.

Yeah 15yrs is a long time and we werent best friends either more I knew her from another friend. I thought it was a bit suss but I thought it was just me
colonelbleep On December 15, 2015

, North Carolina
#5New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 14:37:41
I wouldn't go Scardycat. Those prices are terribly inflated, then after paying all that money for a present, you won't hear from that friend again, just like before the wedding. I'm cold but that's my feelings.

, Australia
#6New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 14:39:16
@waldo Said

Seems strange she's invited you after all these years. Maybe she's inviting everone she has ever known just to get every thing from the registry.
I would think very carfully to weather you go or not.
The prices do seem steep, see if they do vouchers and buy some of those if you can't afford much.

Maybe she's inviting everone she has ever known just to get every thing from the registry.

funny you say that cause that crossed my mind too and I thought I was a scab lol
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#7New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 15:00:12
I think its tacky she stuck the registry slip and her note in the wedding invite. That screams that people are only invited so they can get a gift from that person. And who the frig writes a note saying everything must be bought from there. People have some sense of entitlement!
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 15:04:11
you should tell her the truth about you have seen her for 15 years, you are uncomfortable about the situation. if she doesn't mind if you pass on the wedding. i think normal for the bride or her family to ask you register to bride registry. i don't think rude if you don't pick a gift. if you go to the wedding, you should at least, give a wedding card, or a little note with a check to them, that's all, you should do.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#9New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 15:17:01
this whole situation seems incredibly tacky.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#10New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 16:21:03
Nope, in a situation like that I just give cash.

Cash is KING!
Silly_Me On April 22, 2020

In a cave, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 18:38:48
Its probably cheaper to invite you than by her own ice cream scoop, at that price, she'll probably end up with dozens of ice cream scoops if I were you, I'd buy her the ice cream
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#12New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 21:22:37
@scardycat Said

Just got an invite to a friends wedding. I havent seen this girl for many years and was surprised to be invited to her wedding. Cool. Inside the invite was a bridal registry and a note saying she would like all her gifts bought from this shop only. Ok thats cool except this shop is really expensive and the cheapest price range was $40.00 and that was for a friggen ice cream scoop. Thats an outrageous price for a ice cream scoop. There like a few bucks at other stores
The prices just are outrageous and she want everything bought only from that store.
I havent seen or heard from her in 15yrs I reckon its a bit rich.
Id like to go but.
Do you think Im been a scab because I dont want to buy from the registry?

What do you think?????

If I were you I wouldn't bother even going, let alone buying a gift. It's quite arrogant to expect guests to buy ONLY from that store. Yes it's nice to get exactly what you registered for, but IMO to be all 'uppity' about it having to be from that store only...an expensive one at that...comes off as stuck up to me. Not everyone can afford to buy elaborate gifts.

Plus, for her to invite you after no contact for 15yrs? Yeah, that just screams "I don't care if you come, I just want the gifts"

My sister was invited to a wedding for a girl she went to HS with. They had gotten back in contact with one another after many years and became good friends again. The bride-to-be even told my sister that the only reason the quest list was so big(almost 300) was because she wanted the gifts. She too invited people that she hadn't been in contact with for years and years. What.A.b****.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 21:43:13
Yeah that seems rather rude to me.

I don't like being told what to do as it is, I'd never go along with something like a registry as it defeats the whole point of giving a gift and being nice. But yeah especially for someone to pop up after 15 years with something like that seems odd, I'd just wish them congratulations and decline.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#14New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 23:25:37
Yes.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#15New Post! Nov 02, 2012 @ 23:44:46
I like a registry, but my friends give a broad range of stores and never make demands. She sounds like she just wants expensive presents. I'd drop a note saying that it's nice to hear from her, but after fifteen years you doubt you'll be able to attend. She hasn't called, just and invite and a demand?
That's toooooooooo rude for words.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs