Random

Ya gotta laugh...or scream!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#1New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 10:45:26

I was cleaning the windows of a chemist today, and tore a chunk off a knuckle on a sharp aluminium edge. It bled profusely at first, as fingers do.
"What could be simpler than getting a bandaid at a chemists" I bethunk meself, and proceeded inside.
I approached the young female assistant, clutching my bleeding finger with the other hand, and asked her if they had a first-aid kit handy.
And with a bright smile, she says.."Certainly sir, here we have one at $200, and..".
Ok I thought, it's Monday morning, ya gotta make allowances, so I lifted up both hands, dripping blood on the counter, and tried again.."No, I mean one for the shop, I only need a bandaid".
Without a moments hesitation she replies.."Oh,I see, well, they're over there on that shelf, in family packs, waterproofs,...".
I couldn't restrain myself, I interrupted her and asked.." Can you go and find me someone with more brain cells than their bra size please"?
She missed it entirely, nodded sweetly, and went and fetched the pharmacist. HE couldn't find their first-aid box, but eventually came up with an un-sealed coles-brand old one from a drawer. I left, and got one from home, it seemed simpler, lol.
Bear in mind that a first-aid box is mandatory in all workplaces, without exception!
Where do they find these people, and WHY do they hire them?
Satanic On December 04, 2009

Essex, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 11:04:00
Hmmm technically though, you weren't an employee, only contracted to them to provide a service, so they weren't obliged to provide you with a band-aid. Common sense says that they should, but some might see it differently. Every workplace is required to have a first-aid box and a first-aider, but you are your own workplace in this instance, so you should have your own. Technically. Sorry to nitpick.

Essex, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 11:05:10
Having said that, I hope your finger is better. Hurts like a bugger when that happens.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#4New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 11:05:36
@Marcussextus Said

Can you go and find me someone with more brain cells than their bra size please"?

I used a simialr line to that at a best buy, EVERY time I go into the place I ask myself "where do they find these people"?

Adelaide, Australia
#5New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 11:10:46
@Satanic Said

Hmmm technically though, you weren't an employee, only contracted to them to provide a service, so they weren't obliged to provide you with a band-aid. Common sense says that they should, but some might see it differently. Every workplace is required to have a first-aid box and a first-aider, but you are your own workplace in this instance, so you should have your own. Technically. Sorry to nitpick.

Plausible, but wrong. The first-aid kit is required for ANYONE who needs it on the premises, it's specifically stated in the Legislation. I DO hold an Advanced First Aid Certificate, it's a requirement as I work alone. My employer is only required to provide one at the place of business , I am covered by the boxes at the places I work, supposedly.
I hope that clears it up for you?
Oh, and thanks for the good wishes, it does sting like a bugger, lol.
Still, on the bright side, I removed a couple of old scars in the process!
abzenze On March 21, 2011

unknown, Australia
#6New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 11:14:43
hmm you cant blame the chick ..
most people come in to buy band aids and when asked a question they usually show them the way.. she wasnt stupid .. she just lacked empathy ... majority of people who enter a chemist are after packs of band aids and staff cannot differ whether or not you are gonna buy unless u are specific.. their first instinct is that you are gonna buy their products.. even though you were employed for the day her instinct would still be the same ..

that comment was uncalled for though

i do hope ur finger gets better..

Adelaide, Australia
#7New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 11:20:28
@abzenze Said

hmm you cant blame the chick ..
most people come in to buy band aids and when asked a question they usually show them the way.. she wasnt stupid .. she just lacked empathy ... majority of people who enter a chemist are after packs of band aids and staff cannot differ whether or not you are gonna buy unless u are specific..

that comment was uncalled for

Sorry, I didn't realise I'd have to explain every detail. That girl was watching me clean the windows, and saw my accident, and the blood, and I told her what I wanted. Whatever others do, the connection was as plain as day, blood-bandaid. Every employee is supposed to know where the first-aid box is, at all times, and she was NOT under the impression I was a customer. It's not a lack of empathy, it's plain stupidity!
abzenze On March 21, 2011

unknown, Australia
#8New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 11:31:49
@Marcussextus Said

Sorry, I didn't realise I'd have to explain every detail. That girl was watching me clean the windows, and saw my accident, and the blood, and I told her what I wanted. Whatever others do, the connection was as plain as day, blood-bandaid. Every employee is supposed to know where the first-aid box is, at all times, and she was NOT under the impression I was a customer. It's not a lack of empathy, it's plain stupidity!

the chick most likely wasnt informed of any first aid procedures.. so you cant call it stupidity if the boss never had one prepared in the first place..

Essex, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 11:41:22
@Marcussextus Said

Plausible, but wrong. The first-aid kit is required for ANYONE who needs it on the premises, it's specifically stated in the Legislation. I DO hold an Advanced First Aid Certificate, it's a requirement as I work alone. My employer is only required to provide one at the place of business , I am covered by the boxes at the places I work, supposedly.
I hope that clears it up for you?
Oh, and thanks for the good wishes, it does sting like a bugger, lol.
Still, on the bright side, I removed a couple of old scars in the process!

OK I'll trust you on that one. Still, it must be hard for those who work in shops and have to put up with people coming in and abusing them, I don't think you should have insulted her. I know you were in pain and bleeding, so it's understandable. Was she very young? Was she a new member of staff? Maybe she was a very nervous person, not very sure of herself, so just following the orders she has been given.

Adelaide, Australia
#10New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 13:14:44
@Satanic Said

OK I'll trust you on that one. Still, it must be hard for those who work in shops and have to put up with people coming in and abusing them, I don't think you should have insulted her. I know you were in pain and bleeding, so it's understandable. Was she very young? Was she a new member of staff? Maybe she was a very nervous person, not very sure of herself, so just following the orders she has been given.

I give up, lol, no offense intended, but I'm really not interested in defending my actions, nor in hypothesising about the circumstances.
It happened as I described, and whatever the circumstances I don't care, she performed poorly, and I did what I did, end of, as far as I'm concerned.
skittleyan On March 06, 2010

, Hong Kong
#11New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 13:24:58
it sound like if a small fire started there somebody will have to go home for a fire extinguisher while waiting for fire services to arrive.
beatboxer On March 25, 2010

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 13:31:35
do what my brother does...use duct tape! he's a mechanic and is always cutting his hands open so he just fixes them with a piece of duct tape.

Essex, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 13:33:17
@Marcussextus Said

I give up, lol, no offense intended, but I'm really not interested in defending my actions, nor in hypothesising about the circumstances.
It happened as I described, and whatever the circumstances I don't care, she performed poorly, and I did what I did, end of, as far as I'm concerned.

Fair enough. Next time I'll just reply along the lines of "Dude... WTF? OMG! LOL! FFS!" And then everyone is happy.
49thbrat On November 17, 2009

Deleted

Truro, Canada
#14New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 14:15:45
I find that some people seem to be too stupid to be on this planet.
Hope your finger feels better dude...done it many times,
and know how much it throbs!

Adelaide, Australia
#15New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 22:11:54
I reckon George Carlan summed it up best in one of his early routines.
"I was asked what I thought about the Dope Problem. So I told him, sure, I think we have too many dopes around, but what are you going to do?"
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs