Window XP Anti-Piracy update - Pirates throw a hissy fit

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#1New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 19:31:39
https://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2008-10-26-microsoft_N.htm

This is unbelievable to me. Microsoft made the OS, they have every right to make sure people don't steal it. And yet people who are running pirate copies of XP are b****ing en mass about how they don't like the update that puts a big a** reminder on their screen that they're using a pirated copy. Is that how it is now? We have all been trained to feel so entitled, that we complain about being prevented from stealing?? Seriously? Can I shop-lift from Walmart and then sue them for the harassment from Security?? Stupid people.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#2New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 19:36:12
Reading this more, it looks like the people who bought the software didn't know it was pirated when they bought it...that's messed up. They got totally ripped off by the sellers. That sucks, they need better regulation in China.
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#3New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 22:02:57
Those with legitimate copies are turning their screens black?

I ABSOf***INGLUTELY AGREE WITH THEM!!!

M$ should have no right to invade privacy like that.

I don't give a damn if they made it or not, if they have that much influence over their OS, they need to have a f***ing bomb dropped on them.

(what? what the f*** do you mean we're out of nuclear missles? DAMN IT!)
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#4New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 22:18:49
its not an invasion of privacy, its an authorization check on the software installed.

if the users don't agree with it, don't use illegal products.
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#5New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 22:32:50
@mark_is_god Said

its not an invasion of privacy, its an authorization check on the software installed.

if the users don't agree with it, don't use illegal products.

That is irrelevant. I tire of arguing with those who proclaim the fallacy that whosoever uses a legal products need not be afraid of those who search to confirm your compliance with the law of man, for all know that a search for unlawful acts with lack of purpose or reason is an unlawful act in its self.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#6New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 22:52:06
piracy is a widespread problem, they have every right to include code that makes sure your copy is legitimate. They aren't searching your whole computer, just their software to make sure it's legitimate. It's their software, they can do that and they should. If sellers keep selling software that doesn't work, their sales will suffer and they'll have a motivation to sell legitimate copies. Unfortunately the consumers have to suffer for the sellers bad business practices, but nullifying bad copies protects consumers from that practice in the long term.

antrim, Ireland
#7New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 22:52:25
ok then, ignore that point then.

so explain how is it an invasion of privacy?
do you have any proof that microsoft are also accessing personnel information through this system?
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#8New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 22:59:00
@Lili Said

piracy is a widespread problem, they have every right to include code that makes sure your copy is legitimate. They aren't searching your whole computer, just their software to make sure it's legitimate. It's their software, they can do that and they should. If sellers keep selling software that doesn't work, their sales will suffer and they'll have a motivation to sell legitimate copies. Unfortunately the consumers have to suffer for the sellers bad business practices, but nullifying bad copies protects consumers from that practice in the long term.

Tell me something.

Does your car automatically tell you whether you stole it or not?
Would your tv alert you you are pirating?

Do either of those even attempt to figure it out?
No.
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#9New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 23:00:46
@mark_is_god Said

ok then, ignore that point then.

so explain how is it an invasion of privacy?
do you have any proof that microsoft are also accessing personnel information through this system?

It is an invasion of privacy because they are scanning many computers, most of which legitimate, for illegal copies of a third-rate product without your permission or knowledge.

Would you like me to break into your room at night and look for drugs while you are at dinner?

antrim, Ireland
#10New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 23:12:17
by installing windows in the first place you have given them lots of permission and by agreeing to the update, you have given them even more permission.

do you really think mircosoft are dumb enough to do something like this without covering their backs from all angles, including legal ones.

and BTW give up on the analogy's you're not very good at them.
hiro On October 30, 2008

Deleted

, Washington
#11New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 23:12:27

freak me out!!
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#12New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 23:15:18
@mark_is_god Said

by installing windows in the first place you have given them lots of permission and by agreeing to the update, you have given them even more permission.

do you really think mircosoft are dumb enough to do something like this without covering their backs from all angles, including legal ones.

and BTW give up on the analogy's you're not very good at them.

Um, by installing Windows you are agreeing to use the damn product.
By agreeing to the update, you are agreeing that you need a psychiatrist.

WHAT f***HEAD IS HONESTLY GOING TO INSTALL AN UPDATE FOR MicroSpyware?

LAST TIME I CHECKED, THAT'S WHAT SPYBOT WAS DESIGNED TO GET RID OF!!!!

Oh, and about the analogies, neither are those DMCA Anti-piracy f***tarts that write s*** like "You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a purse. Piracy is stealing!!!"

OMG! NO s***!

antrim, Ireland
#13New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 23:19:49
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#14New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 23:23:14

Wow that is relatively unimpressive. Try this
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#15New Post! Oct 26, 2008 @ 23:24:55
@Lili Said

https://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2008-10-26-microsoft_N.htm

This is unbelievable to me. Microsoft made the OS, they have every right to make sure people don't steal it. And yet people who are running pirate copies of XP are b****ing en mass about how they don't like the update that puts a big a** reminder on their screen that they're using a pirated copy. Is that how it is now? We have all been trained to feel so entitled, that we complain about being prevented from stealing?? Seriously? Can I shop-lift from Walmart and then sue them for the harassment from Security?? Stupid people.

No, that isn't the point here.
The point is if you buy something, say an iPod, and an FBI agent comes to your house every day to make sure you have legitimate music on it and all of your DRM s*** is intact.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs