The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Q & A

When do you think a teen/child is ready to start dating?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...8 9 10 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Jul 30, 2011 @ 19:47:31
My parents were pretty relaxed, they just told me and my brothers to make sure we used contraception if we were ever going to have sex. This was in our early teens. That said, I didn't date until I was twenty, at university. Don't ever feel pressured by your peers; forget getting pregnant, what will ruin your life is spending all the time trying to fit in and compete with people for status and respect, whatever that involves - getting a boyfriend, wearing fashionable clothes, drinking a lot etc. Just do what you want to do, if anyone thinks less of you for that their opinion is worthless. And try to make friends with people who care so little about social norms that they embarass you in public.
cisslybee2012 On January 30, 2013

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#32New Post! Jul 30, 2011 @ 20:12:09
@buffalobill90 Said

My parents were pretty relaxed, they just told me and my brothers to make sure we used contraception if we were ever going to have sex. This was in our early teens. That said, I didn't date until I was twenty, at university. Don't ever feel pressured by your peers; forget getting pregnant, what will ruin your life is spending all the time trying to fit in and compete with people for status and respect, whatever that involves - getting a boyfriend, wearing fashionable clothes, drinking a lot etc. Just do what you want to do, if anyone thinks less of you for that their opinion is worthless. And try to make friends with people who care so little about social norms that they embarass you in public.

My big sister told her teen children to use condoms.

They didn't, and one died from AIDS.
steve70 On March 20, 2021

, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Jul 30, 2011 @ 20:27:14
Forums: Q & A
When do you think a teen/child is ready to start dating?
22 and 37 days
and sorry to hear about the aids thing(above) but Darwin award to her/him

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#35New Post! Jul 30, 2011 @ 23:25:12
Your mother was right.

Develop yourself as an adult and as an individual before delving into dating.

Not doing that is where humans are going wrong and why they make babies they are ill equipped to guide or protect. What they failed to accomplish for themselves, they rob from the children, in their inability to help their children reach adulthood. And our children then find themselves scarred, scorned, and plain traumatized, with a fear of responsibility, love and trust as the result.

It's much better to have a partner than a playmate.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#36New Post! Jul 31, 2011 @ 00:39:44
My daughter's first dating experience at 15.
Boy rings door she answers it.I am 6'5 and 245 I come downstairs in full dress blues polishing my sword. I look him up and down and say let me show you something. Take him out to the garage and show him the vet that I restored I say is my pride and joy do you think I would let you drive this. He is like uh no. Back inside we go I nod towards my daughter and say she is my life any questions.
She came home so mad at me.
I miss my wife's advise at times like this.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#37New Post! Jul 31, 2011 @ 03:36:13
I think dating when you are 16 is good. It does several things for a person, like helping them to figure out what they do or don't want in a relationship, gives them practice with the communication issues that come up, and give them time to get over the fear of the person having other friendships. In short, it gives you the opportunity to wreck a few relationships before you get to the priceless one.

That said, don't marry before about age 21 or so. So much changes about a person those last few years before that. It's possible that two people who start out just about perfect for each other can grow in very different ways in that time period ending up with completely opposite goals.

When it come to sex, I'm not so hardcore on waiting for marriage, but I think a person needs to be old enough to handle the emotional consequences of sex (18-20 usually, imo), in a position to handle the more tangible potential consequences of sex (bc and STD protection are NOT 100% effective), and generally, be in stable enough relationships that promiscuity is not a major issue. Just my $.02.
Tailkinker On January 29, 2023
WorldOfDarknessQueen

My Backpack, Michigan
#38New Post! Jul 31, 2011 @ 04:00:30
Dating is one thing.. Going steady with just one person is another.. And sex is a whole other issue.

I think it will be okay for my kids to go on dates with a group or one on one for short dates when they are sixteen. I think I am raising my boys to be gentleman so I hope that they will show that in their actions to the young ladies. As for my daughter, she has two brothers and four half brothers... Nuff said.

At some point they will just do what they want to do, but I encourage them to stay single till they know what they want to do and be in life, and than to look for their soul mate, someone who will share that life with them, so that instead of growing apart they grow together. Who knows when you'll find that person, but if your priorities are straight than you'll have so much more to offer them.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#39New Post! Jul 31, 2011 @ 04:04:01
At the age of consent...

...which is sixteen over here.

Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#40New Post! Jul 31, 2011 @ 04:48:42
@iamachicken Said

My mom talks to me about dating a lot, mainly about how it has to wait until after I graduate college and about how if I ever get pregnant before graduating high school I'll ruin my life....And then I'd be talking to my friends whose parents allow them to date and notice a huge difference in opinions between our parents. I think those differences are very interesting and I would like to know other parents' positions on this topic as well.

As for me, personally, I agree with my mom that education comes before relationships, but I also feel that getting into the dating scene at a younger age will help the teen be able to tell the differences between good/bad partners in future relationships better than one who waited a lot longer. Which doesn't really matter to me (for now, at least) because I'm not into dating, but I still find it very interesting (lol).

I had my first serious relationship from the ages of 14-16. It was memorable two years. We were there for each other, we took each other's virginity and I personally learned a LOT.
It ended because he cheated, but that could happen anytime in life with any partner.

If you get into a relationship in high school, it doesn't mean you'll get pregnant... a lot of teens travel through high school and have relationships and never get pregnant.

I personally think you learn a lot from dating as a teen (lets use 14 -18 year olds). I think waiting until you're 22-25 is rubbish but that's just me.
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#41New Post! Jul 31, 2011 @ 04:56:02
@Kristy69 Said

I had my first serious relationship from the ages of 14 and 16. It was memorable two years. We were there for each other, we took each other's virginity and I personally learned a LOT.
It ended because he cheated, but that could happen anytime in life with any partner.

If you get into a relationship in high school, it doesn't mean you'll get pregnant... a lot of teens travel through high school and have relationships and never get pregnant.

I personally think you learn a lot from dating as a teen (lets use 14 -18 year olds). I think waiting until you're 22-25 is rubbish but that's just me.

Good post I could not imagine waiting until I was in my 20s. I think if I'd done so I would have missed out on some good times and I would not discovered as much about myself.

And after thinking about the part about grades... When I'm not in relationships, my grades tend to drop a bit. When I am in a relationship, I tend to date intelligent and academically driven people who help me focus (and that puts a little competition in the mix ). Granted it's not like that for everyone, but it's my experience.

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#42New Post! Jul 31, 2011 @ 21:23:50
Teenagers are too young for the responsibility of sexual activity. And my sympathy goes out to children who have parents telling them they should.

They've been taught nothing at all about themselves or life.
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#43New Post! Jul 31, 2011 @ 21:29:48
@cisslybee2012 Said

Teenagers are too young for the responsibility of sexual activity. And my sympathy goes out to children who have parents telling them they should.

They've been taught nothing at all about themselves or life.

And dating is one way they can learn about themselves & life.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#44New Post! Jul 31, 2011 @ 21:37:53
@eternus_somnium Said

Exactly. How are you supposed to learn about the world and what you want if you don't have experiences?
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#45New Post! Jul 31, 2011 @ 21:46:13
@eternus_somnium Said

@plebian_angel Said

Exactly. How are you supposed to learn about the world and what you want if you don't have experiences?

I agree. Also, if they have been prepared with proper, intelligent info, they are ahead of the game.

It's all well and good for parents to say what to do and what not to do, but it helps even more to let your teens know how you emotionally felt in certain situations when going through the same things.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...8 9 10 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs