The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Science

What if the whole "discovery of dinosaur fossils" thing is a hoax?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
windstorm On June 28, 2012

Birmingham, Alabama
#1New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 18:14:27
This is not based on any actual proof, it's just mere speculation on my part. Sometimes I would wonder when I would watch The Discovery Channel and National Geographic during documentaries on paleotologists digging up dinosaur fossils and explaining how these creatures lived whether or not they were real. Here were a few of my thoughts;

1.) It could be possible that the bones were fake and and that
professional archetects(whatever they are called)studied the
the common anatomy of other living species and expertly
constructed the fossils at the proper joints to appear as
realistic as possible.

2.) How or why rather, did ALL of the dinosaurs die out and no other
creatures? Sure the meteor did it but why just these huge walking
lizards? And did they ever find the meteor responsible for their
deaths? I think so but I can't remember.

3.) They just so happen to know the right locations where to find and
dig for the creatures everytime. Could have been planted there?

Anyway I'm not a skeptic. If anything I shall be sorely disapointed if these great beasts...the true dragons, turned out not to be real or never existed. I would just like to know the truth about the fossilization and authenticy of the bones once and for all.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 18:17:49
That would be the largest conspiracy in the history of the world. It would require the absolute and unwavering cooperation of tens of thousands of people all over the entire planet over the course of over 100 years.

In other words, it's not a hoax.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 18:19:49
Oh, to specifically answer the other questions:

2) Millions of species and entire classes of animals and plants have gone extinct over time. It's not "just dinosaurs." Dinosaurs are big and cool and scary and interesting so we just hear about them most.

3) No, they don't "just so happen to know." Archaeology is hard. They dig lots and lots of places that turn up absolutely nothing. There is a tremendous amount of science, research, and exploration that goes into finding actual fossils.
windstorm On June 28, 2012

Birmingham, Alabama
#4New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 18:27:05
Yeah. I guess that came to me because it I thought it rather unfortunate for them to be suddenly plunged into extinction some without warning.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 18:34:20
Dinosaurs didn't all go extinct at once.

Various species each went extinct over millions of years.

For instance, Stegosaurus lived tens of millions of years before Tyrannosaurus.

The big "extinction event" that resulted in the last of the dinosaurs going extinct was accompanied by thousands of other species going extinct as well, all over the globe, on land and in the sea.
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#6New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 19:04:38
landing on the moon is even the greater hoax
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 19:05:01
Good lord.
4000Earthquakes On April 25, 2009

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#8New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 19:26:41
The key word is "theory".

The "theory" of evolution.
The "theories" of scientists.

Theories are only guesses. A lot of people forget that and start spewing things out as fact. "It is theorized that any theory is debatable".... (No wait that's a fact).

See the dif?
nothingtodo On September 21, 2010

Deleted

#9New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 19:35:55
I convinced my step dad that I didn't believe dinosaurs ever existed It was a lot of fun and irritated the s*** out of him!
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#10New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 19:56:53
I do like your approach to this, windstorm. It is an interesting theory, but I have to say the same thing that jonnythan did, to be fair Interesting nonetheless!
04EXCURSION On September 29, 2009

long beach, California
#11New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 20:12:12
is there a way to pull a "Jurassic Park" and make a clone of T-Rex out of DNA? would it be theoretically possible, or no? if so I will be truly happy and can't wait for that day.
04EXCURSION On September 29, 2009

long beach, California
#12New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 20:14:33
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 21:53:51
If fossils are a hoax....I've got a really, REALLY strange rock as an ornament.

it's an amonite.

and all the shells an corals that I have seen with my own eyes that make up most of the Pennine chain of hills not 12 miles distant...are a mere trick of the light.

but they are shells and corals really.

there's no hoax.
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 21:57:05
@windstorm Said

Yeah. I guess that came to me because it I thought it rather unfortunate for them to be suddenly plunged into extinction some without warning.

there were several "die offs". It's just the dinosaurs that get all the publicity, and the meteor strike killed only a small percentage, it's thought that the changes in the ecology caused social pressures that killed most of the larger creatures over a few thousand years...not all at once.
Tracer On October 13, 2008

San Francisco, California
#15New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 21:59:14
@4000earthquakes Said

The key word is "theory".

The "theory" of evolution.
The "theories" of scientists.

Theories are only guesses. A lot of people forget that and start spewing things out as fact. "It is theorized that any theory is debatable".... (No wait that's a fact).

See the dif?

To say that theories are only guesses, you must be speaking only in terms of common conversation which has nothing to do with the scientific term of theory.
When you say that evolution is only a theory and not a fact you make it sound like they are opposite things. As if we are really sure of facts, but we are not so sure of theories. In fact theory in science is a higher level of understanding than facts because what theories do is they explain facts, they unite them. If you went to a university and studied atomic physics, you would take a course in atomic theory. There's no time in the future when a professor is going to change the name of that class to "atomic fact" because that's not what atomic theory is about. Atomic theory is a system of explanations that explains thousands of facts about the nature of matter. And that's what evolutionary theory is about too.
Now you know.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs