Politics

What's with Iran?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 17:18:13
I'm guessing none of their politicians or military leaders are idiots but over the last few days they've 'warned' a US aircraft carrier to keep out of the Persian Gulf. The carrier is based in Bahrain which is in the Persian Gulf.

sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#2New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 17:21:46
@SparklyKatie Said

I'm guessing none of their politicians or military leaders are idiots but over the last few days they've 'warned' a US aircraft carrier to keep out of the Persian Gulf. The carrier is based in Bahrain which is in the Persian Gulf.

I'm having trouble deciding,... whether this is an ironic observation, or just awesome.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 17:24:04
It's not in the Gulf at the moment, and it would have to pass through the Strait of Hormuz to get back into it. They don't want that to happen. They are trying to assert control of the Strait.

If worse comes to worst, and the Stennis does move back into the Gulf, and Iran decides it wants to sink it, then chances are it can. They'd be bringing a hell of a war down on themselves by doing it, but they could bring down half or more of the entire battle group in a single day.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 17:42:28
@jonnythan Said

It's not in the Gulf at the moment, and it would have to pass through the Strait of Hormuz to get back into it. They don't want that to happen. They are trying to assert control of the Strait.

If worse comes to worst, and the Stennis does move back into the Gulf, and Iran decides it wants to sink it, then chances are it can. They'd be bringing a hell of a war down on themselves by doing it, but they could bring down half or more of the entire battle group in a single day.

Exactly, the U.S. has some major allies in that area. I don't understand the threat at all.
tom On March 16, 2023
i love .....

Notlongagoinaplacenotfaraway,
#5New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 17:59:23
@jonnythan Said

The Iranians are cocky but they are not suicidal. Can't see them starting a war with the most powerful military in the world backed up by NATO (as this would be a reason to evoke the treaty).
They wouldn't get support from either the Russians or the Chinese for such an act of aggression.
The Americans should just put the carrier were they want as long as its in international waters
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 18:04:19
They don't want to start a war. I think they're vaguely interested in having the US start one. You're right they wouldn't get support after starting war by attacking a carrier..... but they seem to be itching to have the US start one so they can retaliate.

Having the US start a war would give them good cause to take out the Stennis and Bush and start raining missiles down onto Israel.
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 18:40:45
Before you all wade in and rip my gonads off, I don't support Iran, I consider them very volatile and dangerous.

But I'm also very concerned that the west is pushing Iran into a position where they HAVE to retaliate, or the leadership suffers a revolution due to loss of face.

We in the west sold them the tech for the nuclear power stations, and probably educated 50%+ of the scientist...or to put it bluntly, we sold them the toys, and now won't let them play with them.

We are threatening oil sanctions, which is the only real source of income for that country, we can't threaten them with possible starvation, then say it's their own fault.

I'm sure we are poking them in other ways too, sooner or later they WILL lash out, and get painted as the "bad guys".

Like I said, I'm no Iranophile, but I'm not going to believe we will be whiter than white and blameless if it does all get rowdy.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs