The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

To minorities, are you really confortable being the minority.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
jazzsmoker On March 28, 2008

#1New Post! Feb 18, 2008 @ 13:03:17
I guess what I'm saying is, are you ever really confortable being a minority or used to it? I'm not. I still hate showing up someplace where I'm the only non-white person. Sometimes people are kind, other times i get wierd looks or feel like people are shocked to see someone that isnt white show up. Other times I've overheard people at a restaurant comment on me being the only non-white at a table full of whites (large meeting at a restaurant).

I guess I'm just curious if other minorities are "used to it", because I'm not and never will be. Even though I've been a minority all my life, ill never get used to it.

Sometimes i feel like when i'm around a bunch of whites that they might feel the dude with long hair or tattoos is the person that is different, until someone non-white shows up. Anyway I hope whites understand we are never really confortable being the minority, even though we should be used to it. But I would say that we can probably tolerate it more than they could, because you dont see whites ever showing up places where its mostly non-whites.
majron On March 02, 2008

, California
#2New Post! Mar 02, 2008 @ 02:12:42
look it's not about you, it's all about them. all you have to do is shut up and keep your head down. this is what i was told to do by the white people
magus On October 12, 2010

Anchorage, Alaska
#3New Post! Apr 23, 2008 @ 05:16:55
i'm white and most of brown/black america still has issues with my race...
hiro On October 30, 2008

Deleted

, Washington
#4New Post! Apr 23, 2008 @ 05:19:13
I am white I like obama
hiro On October 30, 2008

Deleted

, Washington
#5New Post! Apr 23, 2008 @ 05:19:45
Yes dat scare u
magus On October 12, 2010

Anchorage, Alaska
#6New Post! Apr 23, 2008 @ 05:40:23
@hiro Said
Yes dat scare u

that wiccalicious! i thought you were asian! thak gawd!
hiro On October 30, 2008

Deleted

, Washington
#7New Post! Apr 23, 2008 @ 05:42:51
Yo nicca!
hiro On October 30, 2008

Deleted

, Washington
#8New Post! Apr 23, 2008 @ 05:46:10
Humor
pq On December 03, 2011

Deleted

Gainesville, Florida
#9New Post! Apr 23, 2008 @ 05:54:09
I am comfortable with being a minority. I think it gives you more "flavor". At work, I'm the only black person. And from Kindergarten to 8th grade, I was usually one of the only 2 or 3 black people in the class. In high school, I was in all honors and AP classes, which translated to me sometimes being the only black kid in the class. It was very weird for me to go to college and seeing so many black people.

A couple years ago, I went to Jamaica with a group of white people. It was very refreshing to finally let them find out what it was like for black people in America.
fisherman888 On September 22, 2008

grand prairie, Texas
#10New Post! Sep 18, 2008 @ 03:02:26
Dear jazzsmoker in my estimation,the issues you think you
have are not really issues.i remember growing up in louisiana,in a segregated society,i used to hear labels such as white race,black race,hispanic race,and so forth.and i use to wonder "why must there be labels?"there
really is only one race,the human race.and today the "label
circus"continues.if you're of this race you're the majority,if you're of that race you're in the minority.do
we continue with sub-minorities?enough already with all the
label lunacy.who you are,and what you are,starts on the in-
side,of you.whether you're in the upper or lower echelon of
life depends on you.you can carry yourself in a way that
says "confidence"(not aerrogance).and as such,you can and
will stand head and shoulders above others.this never makes
you better than anyone.but your life could be a beacon for
others that see themselves in or as a minority.i've learned
that with God on my side,i'm never in any minority.
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#11New Post! Sep 18, 2008 @ 03:06:21
I'm so mixed I really could give a rats ass.

All I know is that most of the majority and minority like me.
so I'm good
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#12New Post! Sep 18, 2008 @ 03:57:33
ehh...you will never stop getting weird looks etc. There will always be people that do that. I think its a confidence issue...I am comfortable with who I am...so even when i get a weird look..I would still rather be me than any "other" race/ethnicity etc. Plus its only weird the first couple minutes...but when people get to know you...its different. But no matter where or what...you will always get weird looks...you cant help it but just become more confident and comfortable with who you are. When I was younger I wanted to fit in...but no longer because its not how you look but more about what you have to offer and how you present yourself.
moonscar On November 28, 2008

Albany, New York
#13New Post! Sep 18, 2008 @ 04:29:03
@majron Said
look it's not about you, it's all about them. all you have to do is shut up and keep your head down. this is what i was told to do by the white people

I don't agree with the keeping your head down part.
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#14New Post! Sep 18, 2008 @ 05:00:48
If you are in a room full of people and they make you feel uncomfortable for being different, it doesn't mean that there is something wrong with you. It means there is something wrong with them.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#15New Post! Sep 18, 2008 @ 05:06:16
I was part of a minority when I was in my early teens. The majority was indigenous North Americans. Being the only caucasian teenager in the area presented no problems for me. I wouldnt say that I was accepted by all but the majority gave me no impression that they were racist and I have only fond memories of the those years.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs