The older generations and technology

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#16New Post! Jun 11, 2006 @ 14:47:04
@intoxsickated Said
i switch the right and left mouse buttons on the old guys too. they get mad and start throwing s*** because they think the computer's broken!

OMG!
sweetrnsugar77 On December 22, 2008

Deleted

My Apartment, Oregon
#17New Post! Jun 11, 2006 @ 14:51:19
You guys are sooo mean. My family never had a computer growing up so I only used them at school but I took typing so Im not too bad and since Ive been out of school I have pretty much figured my way around to what I need.

My grampa just got a computer to use for email and he is pretty good at it, he needs to teach my mom so she can write me. Otherwise she will NEVER have one of her own. The same with a cell phone.

#18New Post! Jun 11, 2006 @ 14:55:10
@sweetrnsugar77 Said
You guys are sooo mean. My family never had a computer growing up so I only used them at school but I took typing so Im not too bad and since Ive been out of school I have pretty much figured my way around to what I need.

My grampa just got a computer to use for email and he is pretty good at it, he needs to teach my mom so she can write me. Otherwise she will NEVER have one of her own. The same with a cell phone.

Cell phones are a problem for my dad and grandmother. My mom knows how to make calls and she is still learning her how to send/receive text messages. It takes her a while to learn, but once she gets it she's very good

Deleted

My Apartment, Oregon
#19New Post! Jun 11, 2006 @ 15:07:52
I wish my mom had a cell....I would love to send her little messages throughout the week.

Most of my family has cell phones even if they are old....but only one aunt and her fam have a computer and I dont think they use it much. I think it still has windows 98
BabyRS On February 14, 2015

, Singapore
#20New Post! Jun 11, 2006 @ 15:08:49
I never got into the computer stuff till about 3 years ago... and that was also because it was necessary for work.

Now I can't live without it. I'd be more upset losing the data in my computer than losing my cellphone.

Mom started on the computer knowledge journey barely a year ago... and I've never been a patient teacher, so I simply send out whatever emails she needs to whenever I'm around. Her work doesn't really involve much computer work, and she does have these girls whose job is to file up stuff, send out mail and do research - so she's pretty safe there.

I tried to explain to her in the simplest terms possible about emailing, retrieving mails, and searching sites... I even placed all the sites she frequents (or those of interest to her) on the desktop for easy access - but somehow she'll manage to yell for me barely 5 minutes after being left to her own devices, so I've all but given up.

She still writes letters and notes (which she will then pass to me with a beseeching look and a sheepish smile) so that I can type it out for her to file up.

I think the only icon she's familiar with is the one that has the cute printer on it.

I suppose when one is used to something - with age, it becomes increasingly harder to learn new stuff. Personally, I think nothing beats the old handwritten note when it comes to greetings and such. It's more personalised. When I get an e-greeting... somehow I'd feel that it's a saved item sent out as and when the occasion calls for it.

I still can't live without my 2B pencil... and it's not even a mechanical one!

*edit*

Mom's a whizz at SMSes, though. Even I can't message as fast as she does!

Deleted

My Apartment, Oregon
#21New Post! Jun 11, 2006 @ 15:13:09
I wish I could get my mom into it. I think while she is here I will get her an email account and she can use it when she gets home.
delicate_snow_princess On February 18, 2007

Deleted

In a sunny dream, Florida
#22New Post! Jun 11, 2006 @ 16:22:37
@annski729 Said
Have you introduced computers & other types of modern technology to your parents/grandparents? How did they do with it?

My grandmother is 88 and she kinda knows how to operate a computer. We started her a few years back with some email station. It didn't do anything but send email, and wasn't a computer, but this little black machine. I don't know how to describe it

Anyway, we got her a computer a couple of years ago and she uses it for e-mail and she can kinda browse the web. If someone gives her a website she can go to it and find her way around pretty easily, but I doubt she understands google or anything like that. Normally when she wants to know about something she'll just take the name, tack a ".com" at the end of it, and type it into the navigation bar.

When I first introduced her to instant messaging she was shocked. It was really cute She can keep in touch with my brother that way. I showed her how to message him, and she did, and then she sits back like she's gonna be waiting for ages, and then he messages back and she's all like, "Wow he answered back already?!"

I myself have been around computer from time to time since I was 8 years old but I was never allowed to do much with them.
When I was 14 years old I encountered a real chance to tinker around with computer and withing 15 minutes I was pratically an expert. I started gaining interest in the paint/cad programs and I started experimenting with the Hyper Text Mark-up Language.
Within two years I was so good at graphics that my father asked me to draw up a diagram of the accident he was in (he was driving next to a large semi and a pick up truck that did not see him next to the semi sped out of the turning lane and he had no time to stop) to show to his lawyers. My diagram was so good that the lawyers asked him where he got it from and when they learned it was by me they wanted to hire me for a large sum of money per picture.
What I really need is to get my hands onto a photo shop program, I know I could excellent things with it.

My mother know the basics of email and websites but she is not a very big fan of the computer.

My father knows how to host photos, send emails, browse websites, and he knows very the basic Hyper Text Mark-up Language (bold, italic, underline, strike-through, link, and image).
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#23New Post! Jun 11, 2006 @ 23:10:42
I can't stand being anywhere near my mum when she's trying to use the computer! Its so frustrating! She doesn't know anything and no matter how many times you tell her how to do something, she'll ask the same questions 2 minutes later.

I mean come on, most of the stuff is farily common sense right and if you read whatever your doing theres always a way to find out what you're doing, even if you have to just click on a few things here and there to just try and work it out, but noooo this is too much for my mum.

I swear the amount of times i have had to explain to her how to copy and paste!

#24New Post! Jun 12, 2006 @ 20:24:48
@garfunkel Said
I swear the amount of times i have had to explain to her how to copy and paste!

Yes. The copy and paste thing annoys the hell out of me

I have told her SO many times. I could be understanding the first 30 times. It's been like two years. Time to remember
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#25New Post! Jun 12, 2006 @ 20:26:50
@annski729 Said
Have you introduced computers & other types of modern technology to your parents/grandparents? How did they do with it?

My grandmother is 88 and she kinda knows how to operate a computer. We started her a few years back with some email station. It didn't do anything but send email, and wasn't a computer, but this little black machine. I don't know how to describe it

Anyway, we got her a computer a couple of years ago and she uses it for e-mail and she can kinda browse the web. If someone gives her a website she can go to it and find her way around pretty easily, but I doubt she understands google or anything like that. Normally when she wants to know about something she'll just take the name, tack a ".com" at the end of it, and type it into the navigation bar.

When I first introduced her to instant messaging she was shocked. It was really cute She can keep in touch with my brother that way. I showed her how to message him, and she did, and then she sits back like she's gonna be waiting for ages, and then he messages back and she's all like, "Wow he answered back already?!"

My dad and the TV remote makes me laught.. i some times think he is the last of the Ludites..
evildeeds On July 23, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Lansing, Illinois
#26New Post! Jun 12, 2006 @ 20:29:39
Ive been on a computer since i was about 5 years old, and about 6 or 7 years ago my grandfather bought a computer.

It took months and months of aggrivation to tech him what to do and its as if now he knows more than I do. He still does the 2 finger typing though and it drives me absolutely crazy.
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#27New Post! Jun 12, 2006 @ 20:36:56
We have the UNiversity of the third age going strong and those retired folks would put many to shame.

Molly's dads 83 and the TV remote baffles him. He kept asking about getting a mobile phone so I gave him one of mine and he actually managed to phone me today. Now maybe it wasn't me he meant to phone. but it has to be an improvement.

If I can get him to carry the dam thing and maybe answer it if we phone him I'll be delighted.

#28New Post! Jun 13, 2006 @ 17:12:39
@evildeeds Said
He still does the 2 finger typing though and it drives me absolutely crazy.

My dad does the one finger typing thing. It too drives me insane

#29New Post! Jun 13, 2006 @ 17:14:06
@bendover Said
If I can get him to carry the dam thing and maybe answer it if we phone him I'll be delighted.

My grandmother has a phone and knows how to call/answer, but she hardly brings it with her. It sits at home charging most of the time, or she doesn't charge it at all and leaves it in her bag and forgets about it. So many problems would be solved if she just brought a charged phone with her.

My dad is almost just as bad. He knows how to use it quite well, but he hates people calling him, so he doesn't bring it anywhere. He got rid of it too. Now, I hate cell phones, but I like being able to be reached in case of an emergency, etc.
delicate_snow_princess On February 18, 2007

Deleted

In a sunny dream, Florida
#30New Post! Jun 13, 2006 @ 18:11:32
@evildeeds Said
He still does the 2 finger typing though and it drives me absolutely crazy.

My father excels at nothing but the two finger typing... I could honestly type faster and clearer than him using one hand with my eyes closed.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs