World Cup

The Official England Support Thread

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
JustMeAgain On January 03, 2014
Is it fish?

Derby, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 12, 2010 @ 11:03:00
Yes, this thread is for supporting England throughout the World cup.

No matter how England does, we have always supported them even when we do badly.
But you never know, we could go onto the final. Wouldn't that be something?

So COME ON ENGLAND!!

Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 06:28:53
Not a lot of support for this thread, is there..? LOL.

I watched the game on Saturday and in truth, I wasn't impressed by the performances of England's so-called "superstars".

There was plenty of huff and puff... loads of perspiration, but very little inspiration. We will have to do much better than that or we are going to be lucky to go through in second place...... and after their demolition of the Australians last night, the Germans will be licking their lips at the prospect of that..!!

I sometimes wonder if England's most highly rated players... Rooney... Gerrard... Lampard... really want to be here at all. Oh, they say they do... They are far too media savvy these days to say the wrong things. Put them in front of a microphone and they know exactly what the fans want to hear. But there was probably more truth in the words of Jose Mourinho a few weeks ago than some top players would like to acknowledge.

The "Special One" said that the Champions League is now bigger than the world cup. He hinted that that is where players true hearts lie now and while watching the England performance on Saturday night my thoughts drifted in that direction. Could Mourinho have been right..?

Are our top players unable to lift themselves for a world cup in the same way that they do for their clubs in the Champions League...?

Unless our top players start living up to their billing, then before long, that question is going to start to loom more into the footballing public's consciousness.

Players get paid (I won't say "earn" )six figure sums every week to play for their clubs..... and their managers (Scotsmen, Spaniards, Frenchmen, et al.. men who have no interest in seeing England do well) are never slow to remind their players of that fact.

Could it be possible that the message slowly seeps into the minds of the players.... the drip-drip effect of negativity towards international football having, possibly, a subliminal effect so that - regardless of what the players say to the media about wanting to win for England - when the time comes they are simply don't - can't - do the business.

Any thoughts, anyone..?

Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#3New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 06:40:04
@JustMeAgain Said

Yes, this thread is for supporting your country. (If you live in England that is)

Do you wish to narrow it down any more?.
JustMeAgain On January 03, 2014
Is it fish?

Derby, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 09:18:36
@Wellard Said

Do you wish to narrow it down any more?.

I see where you are going with this. I wasn't concise enough.
I will change my opening.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs