The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Saudi Arabia: Women threaten to BREASTFEED drivers...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
patriotic On March 13, 2020

#1New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 21:51:14
Source: Los Angeles Times

SAUDI ARABIA: Women threaten to breastfeed drivers if they aren't allowed to drive
June 22, 2010 | 8:24 am

Many were stunned when Saudi cleric Sheik Abdel Mohsen Obeikan recently issued a fatwa, or Islamic ruling, calling on women to give breast milk to their male colleagues or men they come into regular contact with so as to avoid illicit mixing between the sexes.

But a group of Saudi women has taken the controversial decree a step further in a new campaign to gain the right to drive in the ultra-conservative kingdom, media reports say.

If they're not granted the right to drive, the women are threatening to breastfeed their drivers to establish a symbolic maternal bond.

"Is this is all that is left to us to do: to give our breasts to the foreign drivers?" a Saudi woman named Fatima Shammary was quoted as saying by Gulf News.

Obeikan argued in his decree that if the women give their drivers their breast milk, the chauffeurs would be able to mingle with all members of the family without having to worry about violating Islamic law. Some Islamic scholars frown on the mixing of unmarried men and women. Islamic tradition, or hadith, stipulates that breastfeeding establishes a maternal bond, even if a woman breastfeeds a child who is not her own.

Drawing from the cleric's advocacy, the women have reportedly chosen a slogan for their campaign that translates to, "We either be allowed to drive or breastfeed foreigners."

The current driving ban applies to all women in Saudi Arabia, regardless of their nationality, and it's been a topic of heated public debate in recent years.

The ban on driving was unofficial at first but was introduced as official legislation after 47 Saudi women drove cars through the streets of the Saudi capital, Riyadh, in 1990 in an attempt to challenge authorities.

The incident brought harsh consequences for the women, who were jailed for a day and had their passports confiscated. Many of them were said to have been forced to leave their jobs after the driving protest.

Still, every now and then, reports of Saudi women driving in defiance of the ban emerge in the media.

Two years ago, 125 women in Saudi Arabia signed a petition that called on the Saudi interior minister to lift the ban.

One of the Saudi female signatories, Wajeha Huwaider, posted a video of herself driving on YouTube in a direct appeal to the Saudi authorities to allow women to drive.

"For women to drive is not a political issue," Wajeha said as she sat behind the wheel. "It is not a religious issue. It is a social issue, and we know that many women of our society are capable of driving cars. We also know that many families will allow their women to drive."

Photo: Saudi women look under the hood of a new car at a showroom in Riyadh, where women sell cars to female buyers. Women can still own cars in Saudi Arabia, but they are banned from driving them.

Credit: Associated Press

<https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2010/06/saudi-women-use-fatwa-in-driving-bid.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BabylonBeyond+%28Babylon+%26+Beyond+Blog%29>
patriotic On March 13, 2020

#2New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 21:52:41
Well, no surprise. This is one of thousand wicked rules in this system Islam.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 21:57:15
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 22:00:00
Duplicate thread...
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 22:02:27
@patriotic Said

Well, no surprise. This is one of thousand wicked rules in this system Islam.

Huwaider says that the law is not a religious issue, it's social. Islam doesn't say anything about cars.
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#6New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 22:55:09
f*** Saudi Arabia...

I know that makes me seem really intolerant, but I don't give a f***. I think it's the stupidest, silliest country ever.

Any woman born there should leave ASAP and let the men starve to death because of lack of cooking skills.

The rest of the world has evolved Saudi, you're going to be the last horse to cross the finish line. Pick up the pace.
cisslybee2012 On January 30, 2013

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#7New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 23:17:27
@patriotic Said

Source: Los Angeles Times

SAUDI ARABIA: Women threaten to breastfeed drivers if they aren't allowed to drive
June 22, 2010 | 8:24 am

Many were stunned when Saudi cleric Sheik Abdel Mohsen Obeikan recently issued a fatwa, or Islamic ruling, calling on women to give breast milk to their male colleagues or men they come into regular contact with so as to avoid illicit mixing between the sexes.

But a group of Saudi women has taken the controversial decree a step further in a new campaign to gain the right to drive in the ultra-conservative kingdom, media reports say.

If they're not granted the right to drive, the women are threatening to breastfeed their drivers to establish a symbolic maternal bond.

"Is this is all that is left to us to do: to give our breasts to the foreign drivers?" a Saudi woman named Fatima Shammary was quoted as saying by Gulf News.

Obeikan argued in his decree that if the women give their drivers their breast milk, the chauffeurs would be able to mingle with all members of the family without having to worry about violating Islamic law. Some Islamic scholars frown on the mixing of unmarried men and women. Islamic tradition, or hadith, stipulates that breastfeeding establishes a maternal bond, even if a woman breastfeeds a child who is not her own.

Drawing from the cleric's advocacy, the women have reportedly chosen a slogan for their campaign that translates to, "We either be allowed to drive or breastfeed foreigners."

The current driving ban applies to all women in Saudi Arabia, regardless of their nationality, and it's been a topic of heated public debate in recent years.

The ban on driving was unofficial at first but was introduced as official legislation after 47 Saudi women drove cars through the streets of the Saudi capital, Riyadh, in 1990 in an attempt to challenge authorities.

The incident brought harsh consequences for the women, who were jailed for a day and had their passports confiscated. Many of them were said to have been forced to leave their jobs after the driving protest.

Still, every now and then, reports of Saudi women driving in defiance of the ban emerge in the media.

Two years ago, 125 women in Saudi Arabia signed a petition that called on the Saudi interior minister to lift the ban.

One of the Saudi female signatories, Wajeha Huwaider, posted a video of herself driving on YouTube in a direct appeal to the Saudi authorities to allow women to drive.

"For women to drive is not a political issue," Wajeha said as she sat behind the wheel. "It is not a religious issue. It is a social issue, and we know that many women of our society are capable of driving cars. We also know that many families will allow their women to drive."

Photo: Saudi women look under the hood of a new car at a showroom in Riyadh, where women sell cars to female buyers. Women can still own cars in Saudi Arabia, but they are banned from driving them.

Credit: Associated Press

<https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2010/06/saudi-women-use-fatwa-in-driving-bid.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BabylonBeyond+%28Babylon+%26+Beyond+Blog%29>

None of that is going to help the women. If they truly want their freedom, then they're gonna have to stand up and assume it. Period. Which will mean them picking up a cast iron frying pan or anything just as heavy, and crowning the fellas with it. If that doesn't do the trick, then they'll have to be killed.

A slave cannot have rights. The only right they have is to be a slave.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#8New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 23:28:01
I can see it now: "If you are my regular driver, you have to let me breastfeed you, and you don't want that do you?"
Eastender On August 13, 2010

Deleted
Banned

, Falkland Islands (Islas Malv
#9New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 23:30:04
Cant wait to see the movie.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#10New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 23:30:26
@Lili Said

I can see it now: "If you are my regular driver, you have to let me breastfeed you, and you don't want that do you?"

I don't think it's intended as a threat to the drivers...then again, I didn't understand most of the article.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#11New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 23:41:51
@someone_else Said

I don't think it's intended as a threat to the drivers...then again, I didn't understand most of the article.

I imagine it would be sort of humiliating to be breastfed by a woman. According to the law, any man a woman comes into regular contact with has to let her breastfeed him so they are considered family. Otherwise men and women are not allowed to co-mingle regularly. If a woman had a driver, that driver is a male that she comes in contact with regularly, so she would have to breastfeed him to make it legal. But since he probably doesn't want to be breastfed, if the women are allowed to drive themselves, it becomes a non-issue.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#12New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 23:50:37
@Lili Said

I imagine it would be sort of humiliating to be breastfed by a woman. According to the law, any man a woman comes into regular contact with has to let her breastfeed him so they are considered family. Otherwise men and women are not allowed to co-mingle regularly. If a woman had a driver, that driver is a male that she comes in contact with regularly, so she would have to breastfeed him to make it legal. But since he probably doesn't want to be breastfed, if the women are allowed to drive themselves, it becomes a non-issue.

I guess I'm getting confused because of the wording. It indicates that all the men they come in to contact with should be breast-fed, but the religious leaders don't want them to extend that 'family' to their drivers...but since they come into regular contact with them, they have to, but they're foreigners so they don't want them to be family...

I don't know, the whole concept is bizarre to me.
11thehardway On July 10, 2010

San Diego, California
#13New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 23:54:49
This could easily be *more* dangerous than texting while driving!!!
Look out! Damgerous curves next door.
cisslybee2012 On January 30, 2013

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#14New Post! Jul 06, 2010 @ 01:11:18
@someone_else Said

I guess I'm getting confused because of the wording. It indicates that all the men they come in to contact with should be breast-fed, but the religious leaders don't want them to extend that 'family' to their drivers...but since they come into regular contact with them, they have to, but they're foreigners so they don't want them to be family...

I don't know, the whole concept is bizarre to me.

There you go!

Not to mention an confession of the fellas over there being big babies who still need mothers' milk.
aquine On May 30, 2014
Psalm 2 = Rev 11:15

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#15New Post! Jul 06, 2010 @ 03:31:44
@cisslybee2012 Said

None of that is going to help the women. If they truly want their freedom, then they're gonna have to stand up and assume it. Period. Which will mean them picking up a cast iron frying pan or anything just as heavy, and crowning the fellas with it. If that doesn't do the trick, then they'll have to be killed.

A slave cannot have rights. The only right they have is to be a slave.

Well, that is almost correct. God's Law does not give directions for slaves per se, but it does impute many 'rights' to servants. Bondsmen and bondswomen were slaves of sorts. They had 'rights' also.

Having said that, you seem to be holding on to a lot of baggage from your childhood. Jesus Christ can take your past and set you free.

Exod.21
[1] Now these are the judgments which thou shalt set before them.
[2] If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.
[3] If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.
[4] If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.
[5] And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:
[6] Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.
[7] And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.
[8] If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her.
[9] And if he have betrothed her unto his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters.
[10] If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.
[11] And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money.
[12] He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.
[13] And if a man lie not in wait, but God deliver him into his hand; then I will appoint thee a place whither he shall flee.
[14] But if a man come presumptuously upon his neighbour, to slay him with guile; thou shalt take him from mine altar, that he may die.
[15] And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.
[16] And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.
[17] And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.
[18] And if men strive together, and one smite another with a stone, or with his fist, and he die not, but keepeth his bed:
[19] If he rise again, and walk abroad upon his staff, then shall he that smote him be quit: only he shall pay for the loss of his time, and shall cause him to be thoroughly healed.
[20] And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.
[21] Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.
[22] If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.
[23] And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
[24] Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
[25] Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.
[26] And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake.
[27] And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake.
[28] If an ox gore a man or a woman, that they die: then the ox shall be surely stoned, and his flesh shall not be eaten; but the owner of the ox shall be quit.
[29] But if the ox were wont to push with his horn in time past, and it hath been testified to his owner, and he hath not kept him in, but that he hath killed a man or a woman; the ox shall be stoned, and his owner also shall be put to death.
[30] If there be laid on him a sum of money, then he shall give for the ransom of his life whatsoever is laid upon him.
[31] Whether he have gored a son, or have gored a daughter, according to this judgment shall it be done unto him.
[32] If the ox shall push a manservant or a maidservant; he shall give unto their master thirty shekels of silver, and the ox shall be stoned.
[33] And if a man shall open a pit, or if a man shall dig a pit, and not cover it, and an ox or an a** fall therein;
[34] The owner of the pit shall make it good, and give money unto the owner of them; and the dead beast shall be his.
[35] And if one man's ox hurt another's, that he die; then they shall sell the live ox, and divide the money of it; and the dead ox also they shall divide.
[36] Or if it be known that the ox hath used to push in time past, and his owner hath not kept him in; he shall surely pay ox for ox; and the dead shall be his own.

Leviticus 25
[1] And the LORD spake unto Moses in mount Sinai, saying,
[2] Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye come into the land which I give you, then shall the land keep a sabbath unto the LORD.
[3] Six years thou shalt sow thy field, and six years thou shalt prune thy vineyard, and gather in the fruit thereof;
[4] But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the LORD: thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard.
[5] That which groweth of its own accord of thy harvest thou shalt not reap, neither gather the grapes of thy vine undressed: for it is a year of rest unto the land.
[6] And the sabbath of the land shall be meat for you; for thee, and for thy servant, and for thy maid, and for thy hired servant, and for thy stranger that sojourneth with thee,
[7] And for thy cattle, and for the beast that are in thy land, shall all the increase thereof be meat.
[8] And thou shalt number seven sabbaths of years unto thee, seven times seven years; and the space of the seven sabbaths of years shall be unto thee forty and nine years.
[9] Then shalt thou cause the trumpet of the jubile to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the trumpet sound throughout all your land.
[10] And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall be a jubile unto you; and ye shall return every man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family.
[11] A jubile shall that fiftieth year be unto you: ye shall not sow, neither reap that which groweth of itself in it, nor gather the grapes in it of thy vine undressed.
[12] For it is the jubile; it shall be holy unto you: ye shall eat the increase thereof out of the field.
[13] In the year of this jubile ye shall return every man unto his possession.
[14] And if thou sell ought unto thy neighbour, or buyest ought of thy neighbour's hand, ye shall not oppress one another:
[15] According to the number of years after the jubile thou shalt buy of thy neighbour, and according unto the number of years of the fruits he shall sell unto thee:
[16] According to the multitude of years thou shalt increase the price thereof, and according to the fewness of years thou shalt diminish the price of it: for according to the number of the years of the fruits doth he sell unto thee.
[17] Ye shall not therefore oppress one another; but thou shalt fear thy God: for I am the LORD your God.
[18] Wherefore ye shall do my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them; and ye shall dwell in the land in safety.
[19] And the land shall yield her fruit, and he shall eat your fill, and dwell therein in safety.
[20] And if ye shall say, What shall we eat the seventh year? behold, we shall not sow, nor gather in our increase:
[21] Then I will command my blessing upon you in the sixth year, and it shall bring forth fruit for three years.
[22] And ye shall sow the eighth year, and eat yet of old fruit until the ninth year; until her fruits come in ye shall eat of the old store.
[23] The land shall not be sold for ever: for the land is mine; for ye are strangers and sojourners with me.
[24] And in all the land of your possession ye shall grant a redemption for the land.
[25] If thy brother be waxen poor, and hath sold away some of his possession, and if any of his kin come to redeem it, then shall he redeem that which his brother sold.
[26] And if the man have none to redeem it, and himself be able to redeem it;
[27] Then let him count the years of the sale thereof, and restore the overplus unto the man to whom he sold it; that he may return unto his possession.
[28] But if he be not able to restore it to him, then that which is sold shall remain in the hand of him that hath bought it until the year of jubile: and in the jubile it shall go out, and he shall return unto his possession.
[29] And if a man sell a dwelling house in a walled city, then he may redeem it within a whole year after it is sold; within a full year may he redeem it.
[30] And if it be not redeemed within the space of a full year, then the house that is in the walled city shall be established for ever to him that bought it throughout his generations: it shall not go out in the jubile.
[31] But the houses of the villages which have no wall round about them shall be counted as the fields of the country: they may be redeemed, and they shall go out in the jubile.
[32] Notwithstanding the cities of the Levites, and the houses of the cities of their possession, may the Levites redeem at any time.
[33] And if a man purchase of the Levites, then the house that was sold, and the city of his possession, shall go out in the year of jubile: for the houses of the cities of the Levites are their possession among the children of Israel.
[34] But the field of the suburbs of their cities may not be sold; for it is their perpetual possession.
[35] And if thy brother be waxen poor, and fallen in decay with thee; then thou shalt relieve him: yea, though he be a stranger, or a sojourner; that he may live with thee.
[36] Take thou no usury of him, or increase: but fear thy God; that thy brother may live with thee.
[37] Thou shalt not give him thy money upon usury, nor lend him thy victuals for increase.
[38] I am the LORD your God, which brought you forth out of the land of Egypt, to give you the land of Canaan, and to be your God.
[39] And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee; thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bondservant:
[40] But as an hired servant, and as a sojourner, he shall be with thee, and shall serve thee unto the year of jubile:
[41] And then shall he depart from thee, both he and his children with him, and shall return unto his own family, and unto the possession of his fathers shall he return.
[42] For they are my servants, which I brought forth out of the land of Egypt: they shall not be sold as bondmen.
[43] Thou shalt not rule over him with rigour; but shalt fear thy God.
[44] Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.
[45] Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.
[46] And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.
[47] And if a sojourner or stranger wax rich by thee, and thy brother that dwelleth by him wax poor, and sell himself unto the stranger or sojourner by thee, or to the stock of the stranger's family:
[48] After that he is sold he may be redeemed again; one of his brethren may redeem him:
[49] Either his uncle, or his uncle's son, may redeem him, or any that is nigh of kin unto him of his family may redeem him; or if he be able, he may redeem himself.
[50] And he shall reckon with him that bought him from the year that he was sold to him unto the year of jubile: and the price of his sale shall be according unto the number of years, according to the time of an hired servant shall it be with him.
[51] If there be yet many years behind, according unto them he shall give again the price of his redemption out of the money that he was bought for.
[52] And if there remain but few years unto the year of jubile, then he shall count with him, and according unto his years shall he give him again the price of his redemption.
[53] And as a yearly hired servant shall he be with him: and the other shall not rule with rigour over him in thy sight.
[54] And if he be not redeemed in these years, then he shall go out in the year of jubile, both he, and his children with him.
[55] For unto me the children of Israel are servants; they are my servants whom I brought forth out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Deuteronomy 24:14
Thou shalt not oppress an hired servant that is poor and needy, whether he be of thy brethren, or of thy strangers that are in thy land within thy gates:

Blessed be the Lord Jesus Christ.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs