The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

SACRIFICE (This may be too intense for some people- I hope I don't get into troub

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#1New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 11:50:19
Note: I don't mean this as an offence to the Islamic culture (I come from a Muslim family and I choose to be Agnostic)

Does anyone believe it is right in this day and age to sacrifice an animal on Eid (the Qur'an asked for the man to sacrifice an animal is replacement of sacrificing his son)? (As in slaughter them crucially- in my opinion)

Last year I went overseas to visit my family and there was a huge celebration on Eid, it would have been a glorious cultural celebration if I didn't have to witness one cow (out of the many) and one goat (out of the many) being sacrificed UNDER MY NAME!!! So basically their prayers consisted of saving me (as the child) and instead sacrificing a cow and a goat. They were first tied up and seeing them begging for mercy and trying to save themselves...and once they were tied and literally crying...they were cut at the throat to die at first...and the piecing just follows...I have never cried so much in my entire life put together, the amount I cried for everyone to stop and to save these innocent creatures...just the day before I was feeding the cows...one day later they are slaughtered...

I also cannot believe how ridiculed I was for crying like a baby...I was laughed at as if I'm some retard...and people (slaughterers) were literally whispering "whats wrong with her, why is she crying? she's the one person these animals are being sacrificed..this is for her" I was genuinely disgusted.

Yes, I know the entire story behind this islamic tradition! I know what the Qur'an says! I have been educated about the Islamic tradition...so this question does not come from ignorance...and yes I'm an animal rights enthusiast...so why oh why in this day and age do we need to keep this tradition? WHY? Is it completely necessary? Will someone's child die if this is not done? I just want to hear some opinions. I'm sorry if this offends anyone. Please don't punch me!
rider On September 28, 2009

Deleted

The first one, Australia
#2New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 11:56:08
I suppose if they slaughter a healthy Beast,that's a waste,unless they eat it later,but why not get one that's very sick and on the way out,that way their doing the Beast a favour.

P.S.And no that sort of thing doesn't offend me,it the way of the country,but I will say if it's done Here in Australia,their in deep s***.
2nd_Evil_Head On March 24, 2015

Elmira,
#3New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 12:45:16
Were these animals eaten? And do you usually eat meat?
karljkampovsky On May 13, 2009

Deleted

undisclosed location,
#4New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 12:53:09
Whenever an animal is slaughtered,it is shocking to someone not used to seeing it. Sacrificed animals are usually eaten for food! In religions that call for burnt offerings usually less desirable cuts of meat are used! The ancient Greek pagans would sacrifice a sheep,the method of slaughter is always part of the ritual,but the Greeks would consume the meat, and burn the fat and bones
having convinced themselves, that this was what the Gods wanted! Having the jugular vein cut is quick,and not so painful if a very sharp implement is used. Today in slaughter houses animals are hit with a maul( this is not always an effective means of killing) sometimes the animal is still conscious while being eviscerated! But because of the constraints of time they are never struck a second time!
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#5New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 12:54:21
@2nd_Evil_Head Said

I'm a vegetarian!
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#6New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 12:58:30
@2nd_Evil_Head Said

And yes the animals were eaten...but I didn't indulge, because I personally don't eat or like the taste of meat.
GoblintheGoblin On March 01, 2010
Kneel before Zod!

Deleted

swansea, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 13:01:43
i was at an Eid celebration when i was traveling through northern Africa i found it crazy as hell the whole village was out there watching the goats throats get cut, my friend and guide Hytham took part but i refused, not because of the animals although it was sick, but because i am an atheist. crazy s***.
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#8New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 13:05:21
@goblinthegoblin Said

i was at an Eid celebration when i was traveling through northern Africa i found it crazy as hell the whole village was out there watching the goats throats get cut, my friend and guide Hytham took part but i refused, not because of the animals although it was sick, but because i am an atheist. crazy s***.

Yeah I find the whole ritual insane! When I was overseas, the entire country (roads, backyards..literally everywhere) there were dead cows lying around with their throats slit. Blood everywhere.
rider On September 28, 2009

Deleted

The first one, Australia
#9New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 13:31:34
@xnuvax Said

I'm a vegetarian!

We club Cabbages to Death to you know????
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#10New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 13:32:40
@rider Said

okay.
MissChantelle On March 10, 2010

Deleted

, Australia
#11New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 13:32:41
@rider Said

Mmm cabbage
GoblintheGoblin On March 01, 2010
Kneel before Zod!

Deleted

swansea, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 13:32:41
@rider Said

not funny.
crankshaft On May 10, 2009

Banned

#13New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 13:41:40
If the critterswere eaten, then there was no waste and that would please God. Waste is a sin.
2nd_Evil_Head On March 24, 2015

Elmira,
#14New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 16:07:52
@xnuvax Said

And yes the animals were eaten...but I didn't indulge, because I personally don't eat or like the taste of meat.

I don't know anything about the ritual, and I'm an atheist, so I wouldn't participate, but, the way I see it, if the animals were eaten, then nothing went to waste, and their deaths weren't meaningless. But since you don't eat meat, I can see why you would find it so distasteful.

I personally believe that if you can't bring yourself to kill an animal, you shouldn't eat them. I think those that love meat, but can't stomach watching an animal be killed and butchered are robbing themselves of a very important connection to nature. Here in the U.S., that part of life has become too sanitized and disconnected from daily life for too many people. It sounds to me like this festival helps maintain and strengthen that connection.
TheTEstofLife On April 20, 2009

asdfua, Alabama
#15New Post! Mar 22, 2009 @ 23:48:50
My father used to raise cattle, the butcher would show up with a 22 rifle and shoot them in the head. They died instantly, that is a much more humane way to do it, same end result without the suffering. I consider the current tradition needs to be revised to at least adopt a firearm to do the job, or is it the suffering itself the goal within this?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs