Raging fires burn thousands of acres in Colorado, New Mexico

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 12:08:18
Quote:
Wind was also playing a major role in the expansion of a lightning-sparked blaze in New Mexico's Lincoln National Forest that jumped its containment lines and raced through thick conifer forests. Fire managers said 20 structures were damaged or destroyed

https://www.usatoday.com/weather/wildfires/story/2012-06-10/wildfire-colorado-new-mexico/55495292/1?csp=24&kjnd=lppIAMhdQ9RWcVLmeRMoG85gHhMLxS9dYdaDMB1M6Rl8W5jkOuZ2YG%2BvGy7AI1hE-a25015bc-535d-4c73-8c14-320f491e8e37_38m9w7d1CwUfTzpDnZ2cC8ct4sbNNuIABHzWnql1WDPOg%2FQKZiC8owweicRtRQcv

All this past week we have had smoke from this wildfire , it has been so thick that it blocks out the daylight .
The wind has been in very strong gusts , the animals will spook at each gust and lift tail, running like they think some things after them.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#2New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 17:28:57
So what this makes the third fire in the state. (or is it Colorado?) Lincoln is the eastern part if the state, but I can't remember if the forest is the north or south, I get the forest confused with the county all the time.

Seriously NM has been on fire for like a month, and national news doesn't cover it until some other state is on fire too.

anyway, I think the huge on in the Gila (that was two that merged) had really bad smoke.

I saw another one this week, I think they are calling it "bear springs" in the Sangre de Cristos, up near Los Alamos where the big one was last year. The smoke wasn't as bad but enough to freak me out on the way to work, It looks so close the angle of the road even though it isn't. I think thought they were saying they might catch a break with that one as most of the area is still burnt out from last year there is not much fuel for it to get really big. Or that is what they hope.

I'm still a little bummed that the fires lead to the end of the Dixon farms, those Winesaps were a damn good and unique apple. And now there is a boat load of arguing over the land and stuff, sad, just sad.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#3New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 18:20:33
Damn....

Hope it gets put under control over there. The one over here right now is at 14,000 acres.

I feel so sad for all the wildlife that are perishing.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#4New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 18:43:10
There are fires out there again? Doesn't this happen every year about this time? Is it because they don't allow normal wild fires to burn, so vegetation builds up and then fires get out of control?
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#5New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 18:44:16
Yeah. With the gila fire they were worried about two packs of endangered wolves. The pups might be too young for a quick escape if need be. I think for now the fire changed directions. There is so much wildlife in that area though. And a few endangered so even the aftermath of the blaze can be a problem if there is no shelter or enough food.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#6New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 18:55:46
@boxerdc Said

There are fires out there again? Doesn't this happen every year about this time? Is it because they don't allow normal wild fires to burn, so vegetation builds up and then fires get out of control?

The main problem is drought, summer lighting storms and serious wind. But yeah there is always fire every year. If we are lucky it gets put put soon. If not we have these problems. If the trees are not as dry they burn slower. I think this year it was lighting storms that started them, not stupid people like the AZ one.

The gila has been trying different fire control methods and they think it might help keep the fires moving slower and not as hot. But it's still too soon to tell if it worked as a strategy to implement in other places. They do let smaller fires burn out and do controled burns.

Sadly the real amazing story would be there were no fires in the summer in NM. The best we can hope for is that they stay away from towns and people dont get hurt and the animals find a way out.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#7New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 19:14:50
@DiscordTiger Said

The main problem is drought, summer lighting storms and serious wind. But yeah there is always fire every year. If we are lucky it gets put put soon. If not we have these problems. If the trees are not as dry they burn slower. I think this year it was lighting storms that started them, not stupid people like the AZ one.

The gila has been trying different fire control methods and they think it might help keep the fires moving slower and not as hot. But it's still too soon to tell if it worked as a strategy to implement in other places. They do let smaller fires burn out and do controled burns.

Sadly the real amazing story would be there were no fires in the summer in NM. The best we can hope for is that they stay away from towns and people dont get hurt and the animals find a way out.

Can the firs outrun a zombie? Because if they can, we've got another strategy for our arsenal..

n/a, New Mexico
#8New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 19:24:20
@DiscordTiger Said

So what this makes the third fire in the state. (or is it Colorado?) Lincoln is the eastern part if the state, but I can't remember if the forest is the north or south, I get the forest confused with the county all the time.

Seriously NM has been on fire for like a month, and national news doesn't cover it until some other state is on fire too.

anyway, I think the huge on in the Gila (that was two that merged) had really bad smoke.

I saw another one this week, I think they are calling it "bear springs" in the Sangre de Cristos, up near Los Alamos where the big one was last year. The smoke wasn't as bad but enough to freak me out on the way to work, It looks so close the angle of the road even though it isn't. I think thought they were saying they might catch a break with that one as most of the area is still burnt out from last year there is not much fuel for it to get really big. Or that is what they hope.

I'm still a little bummed that the fires lead to the end of the Dixon farms, those Winesaps were a damn good and unique apple. And now there is a boat load of arguing over the land and stuff, sad, just sad.

The Gila fire has been burning for more then a month, I read somewhere that hey have been letting it burn just guiding it t times when it threatens some where they don't want burned.
It's this one in Lincoln county that they are calling the bear .
I spent 3 1/2 seasons as a USFS firefighter and was sent all over the western part of the country. Idaho, Montana, Calf. Arizona New Mexico , and your right New Mexico never made the news no matter how large or long a fire burned.

n/a, New Mexico
#9New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 19:30:31
@Grasshopper Said

Damn....

Hope it gets put under control over there. The one over here right now is at 14,000 acres.

I feel so sad for all the wildlife that are perishing.

While there are some wild life that will be caught in flare ups and other types of wild fire happenings. the majority of all wild life are gone over the mountain at the first whiff of smoke.
it is only the human animal that will hang around wanting to get a better look ,,,
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#10New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 20:00:47
@white_swan53 Said

The Gila fire has been burning for more then a month, I read somewhere that hey have been letting it burn just guiding it t times when it threatens some where they don't want burned.
It's this one in Lincoln county that they are calling the bear .
I spent 3 1/2 seasons as a USFS firefighter and was sent all over the western part of the country. Idaho, Montana, Calf. Arizona New Mexico , and your right New Mexico never made the news no matter how large or long a fire burned.

There are two fires in NM with similar names. "bear springs" near jemez Spings and Santa Fe (I can see that smoke from my place). And " little bear" fire in the lincoln near riodoso.
The one I've been saying is in the gila is called whitewater-baldy fire. But yeah they usually let them burn in the gila until it threatens something or the endangered animals. The theory is it supposed to be more natural, since fire happens let it do it's part in the cycle without disastrous concequences and that will lead to shorter less hot fires in the future. I remember we talked about it a lot in bio classes. The teachers were pretty active in wildlife rescue and the forest service. So both at HS and college level it was a topic that came up. It's totally different mindset than the traditional throw everything we've got at it and hope for the best method. If the science behind it turns out to be right and applicable to other places that have wildfires it could be a good thing for the future.

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 20:17:18
@DiscordTiger Said

There are two fires in NM with similar names. "bear springs" near jemez Spings and Santa Fe (I can see that smoke from my place). And " little bear" fire in the lincoln near riodoso.
The one I've been saying is in the gila is called whitewater-baldy fire. But yeah they usually let them burn in the gila until it threatens something or the endangered animals. The theory is it supposed to be more natural, since fire happens let it do it's part in the cycle without disastrous concequences and that will lead to shorter less hot fires in the future. I remember we talked about it a lot in bio classes. The teachers were pretty active in wildlife rescue and the forest service. So both at HS and college level it was a topic that came up. It's totally different mindset than the traditional throw everything we've got at it and hope for the best method. If the science behind it turns out to be right and applicable to other places that have wildfires it could be a good thing for the future.

There is a huge difference in the way a forest fire is controlled or contained in a wilderness area and a fire is fought in a forest that isn't a wilderness .
The wind has been gusting from all directions just like normal we are getting the haze from Gila "whitewater-baldy fire" .
It's strange but no two fires smell the same, even thought the fuel it's consuming is native to the state Pine, juniper and pinon there is a very distinctive smell to each smoke. I hadn't heard of the Riodoso fire yet but \knew there was another fire someplace other then the one in the Gila's last week.
when it's a forest fire it smells like someone is having a yardburn with hamburger's and hot dogs, when it's a fire along the river it smells like some one farted.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#12New Post! Jun 10, 2012 @ 20:32:39
Lol yes it's bad when you smell the smoke from a fire and all you want is s'mores but then realize it's a wildfire and bad thing not your neighbors having a BBQ

n/a, New Mexico
#13New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 00:05:39
You know what I mean then ?
So you must be far enough 'up and out 'of the valley to be away from the 'brown cloud' and be able to get a whiff of the forest fires smoke.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#14New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 01:16:07
Here's a couple pictures I took while we were up at Horsetooth Reservoir... This Summer is bad for fires everywhere, huh?

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

n/a, New Mexico
#15New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 01:33:11
@Grasshopper Said

Here's a couple pictures I took while we were up at Horsetooth Reservoir... This Summer is bad for fires everywhere, huh?

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

There is nothing else in nature or man made that I have experienced that comes close to power and fear that a raging wild fire will cause some where deep down close to te soul .
Thanks for the pics.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs