Queen Elizabeth to visit Ireland

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 05:54:49
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13410653

The Queen will make a four day State visit to Ireland. The first British monarch to do so since the formation of the Irish Republic.

The purpose of the visit is non political, but is intended to formalise the relationship between Ireland and its closest neighbour... and also the only country with which it shares a land border.

Ireland is now a mature nation, with whom Britain shares many values, cultural aspects and new-found bonds of friendship. The past has been rocky and difficult but great progress has been made and the visit is right, I believe, in order to now demonstrate that historical enmities are finally put aside.

There have been demonstrations and that is to be expected. Those who wish to protest have the right to do so, but the Royal visit is welcomed by the vast majority in the Irish Republic.

I think this visit is an important step and tells the world that Britain and Ireland now see each other as friends, trading partners and allies.

Thirty years of soldiers on the streets of Belfast achieved nothing, caused the deaths of thousands of innocent people and spread misery, destruction and hatred. There will be some who will try to disrupt this visit and stir up animosity. They will fail.

It was political will and the ability of the British government to say "We were wrong" and address those wrongs that ended the Troubles. Now we are in a position where the Head of State, of a once despised country will be welcomed.

This is how you defeat terrorism.

raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#2New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 06:12:44
Oh, get off your freakin high horse already.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 06:16:33
@raditz Said

Oh, get off your freakin high horse already.

Not a chance. All the time there is a pro-civilisation message to be passed, I'll pass it.

What you choose to do with it is up to you, and your response will say more about you than it does about me.

sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 07:31:26
What with the recent news (i.e. the bomb threat), this is probably rather important as it will help to sustain the peace between the two countries and calm fears that things may be getting out of hand again.

Isn't Cameron going too though? I think I read that somewhere but wasn't interested enough to continue reading it.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#5New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 07:38:51
I didn't realize that the UK and Ireland were in disdain with one another.

Is there some reason for it...erm other than taking over territory?

...which I wouldn't suspect here in 2011.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 07:43:17
@Electric_Banana Said

I didn't realize that the UK and Ireland were in disdain with one another.

Is there some reason for it...erm other than taking over territory?

...which I wouldn't suspect here in 2011.

There have been issues between the two countries since the 16th/17th century at least. You may want to google 'the troubles,' England plays a significant part. It's not just about territory, but about religion- the Catholics have fought the protestants.

Ceasefire was only declared a few years ago and there are still splinter groups of extremists about.
Jacquesmetat On August 01, 2012

Out on the 'oggin, United King
#7New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 11:00:37
There is probably only one thing the British monarchs and the Irish agree on. They both think Oliver Cromwell was a c***.
ADUB1987 On July 03, 2011

Dublin, Ireland
#8New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 15:33:27
I see certain people who were dying to have a pop about tiny minorities in Ireland have said absolutely nothing today..

The welcome given by the Irish state today was fit for any Queen.

Pity these tiny minorities prevented the public from getting a close up view of the Queen.

I think it has gone very well so far.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs